Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Menstrual cups - too large? (This is a bit icky)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I've hung around as a guest for a bit but not posted except accidentally when I was reading something and without thinking clicked reply instead of going to introductions and starting a thread. I'm special.

Anyway. Girlie thing. I ordered a MoonCup - the smallest size, 'cos I'm a virgin and stuff - and once I'd cut the stem to the recommended length and got it out and put it back (etc., all as it says in the instructions) I couldn't get it out for a few days (I know, I know, it's gross, I was too embarrassed to go to the nurse).

Anyway. I wonder if maybe it's too big for me and I shouldn't try to use one again. Anyone got any ideas? I really don't want that to happen again it was so horrid.

Sorry for starting on such a bum note.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Whats a mooncup?All I can think of is the clangers........... :chin:
    I wouldn't say it was too big if you could get it in and out. Maybe you were rather anxious, and that's why you couldn't get it out before. Could you not reach or would it not pull down?
    It wouldn't pull down
    The Leaf wrote:
    Whats a mooncup?All I can think of is the clangers........... :chin:
    It's a silicone cup that you use instead of a tampon
    Oh right ok......... :blush:
    I don't know then and I've not tried one yet. Maybe a suction problem? There's a few mooncup users on here who'll likely pop along with some advice.

I looked at these things in Boots (security guard was eyeing me strangely too) and there didn't seem to be much circumferance difference between the A and B models. It felt more like the after-baby ones were stiffer though, maybe to be easier for after-baby muscles to hold? My que to you- Could you feel it inside you?
    I was going to use one, and I have one, but I had a similar prob. I had so many difficulties trying to get it in the first time that it was just a huge relief when I took it out and I've not used it since. I don't know if it's a question of being too small or just getting used to it. I remember hating tampons and now I'd never go back to using towels regularly.
    katralla wrote:
    I looked at these things in Boots (security guard was eyeing me strangely too) and there didn't seem to be much circumferance difference between the A and B models. It felt more like the after-baby ones were stiffer though, maybe to be easier for after-baby muscles to hold? My que to you- Could you feel it inside you?
    I got it online and the site gave the impression it was a size thing. I could feel it at first, but it sort of settled into the right place.
    you need to bear down and sort of try and push it out - like youre doing a poo. At the same time squeeze the cup to try and make a sort of mini fold in it to release the suction. If you havent released the suction its not gonna come out - thats whats keeping it in place for you.
    The good thing about mooncups is you can even practice when youre not having aperiod if you like, unlike tampons which just wont come out till theyre soaked.
    Its worth giving it a few more tries. Also dont forget, if you bought it online, and you really dont get on with it. You can return it within 3 cycles (sterilise it first obviously lol) and theyll refund you. Theyre that sure of their product.
    you need to bear down and sort of try and push it out - like youre doing a poo. At the same time squeeze the cup to try and make a sort of mini fold in it to release the suction. If you havent released the suction its not gonna come out - thats whats keeping it in place for you.
    The good thing about mooncups is you can even practice when youre not having aperiod if you like, unlike tampons which just wont come out till theyre soaked.
    Its worth giving it a few more tries. Also dont forget, if you bought it online, and you really dont get on with it. You can return it within 3 cycles (sterilise it first obviously lol) and theyll refund you. Theyre that sure of their product.

:yes: :yes:

Practise and you'll be an expert. Taking mine out used to hurt like hell but I absolutely love it now and would never go back. Like SCC says bear down and then when its in reach you need to release the suction. It wont come out just by pulling it. I usually use my thumb and press down on the side to squash it and it'll release. This really is a case of practise makes perfect.

I absolutely love it now and would never go back. .
    me too. I still have tampons left over that i bought years ago but havent bothered using. Mooncup is so much more conveniant once you get the hang of it.
    me too. I still have tampons left over that i bought years ago but havent bothered using. Mooncup is so much more conveniant once you get the hang of it.

I'm trying to get my friends to buy them but they're having none of it. I think they should tell girls about them in school too, I only found out about them a year ago. At school we just got the tampon and sanitary towel talk it would have been much more useful to have been told about ALL of the options.
    i agree.

I think the problem is, is people get too grossed out by their own bodies, and also we do live in a disposable throwaway society.
    I think as time goes on, theyll become more widely known about. at the moment, most people havent even heard of them.
    It took me a while to be able to remove it at first and it hurt...

Basically don't worry about putting your fingers inside you and push down with your pelvic floor muscles (the same muscles that help you hold in a wee), this should make the end easier to grab.

Now pull it down gently and you'll be able to get a grip... Squeeze the sides of it softly so that it slips out of the mouth of your vagina.

The first few times I used it it hurt, but it's not too hard to get the hang of.
    you definately have to make sure u break the suction.
    Sounds very interesting but the word suction scares me!

When you take it out won't it like..spill out?
    maybe it would spill if it was over-full, but mine never has spilled.
    Its not like you take it out and wave it around. You take it out and youre over the toilet usually anyway, but even so - as i say, its never spilled.

Its not suction as in hoover either, its just like a little bit that stops it falling out.
    I mean when you take it out isn't the top of it just open?
    yeah but its still upright when you take it out, and then you tip it in the toilet. I know it sounds like there is a risk of spillage, but in reality it doesnt tend to happen. Ive had mine for at least 2 years and its never spilled, and im not like super-careful especially, it just doesnt happen.
    I may give it a go then. Thanks
    Rachael wrote:
    I may give it a go then. Thanks

I would definitely recommend it.

I agree with SCC I have never had spillage because it comes out upright and then you just tip it away. My fingers sometimes get a tiny bit messy but thats it.

On the suction point- You cant feel it sucking you or anything, it has little holes along the top that help it suck on to the walls but you cant feel it in you (just like a tampon).

I used to get really irrated by tampons and towels, my skin used to get itchy and I felt unclean the whole time I was on my period but I never feel that way now. They're much much safer in terms of TSS too, and theres no nasty chemicals messing your body up. Ooo and another good point...you can put it in when your expecting your period because unlike tampons it doesnt harm you if your not on since it doesnt dry up your normal fluids.

Go mooncups!! :D