Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Worst Books Ever

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    \
  • Options
    Yeah I think it was The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - is that the one where the little girl is raped and murdered and is looking down on her family from heaven? Totally agree with you, I found it so manipulative I was angry, and yet other people raved about. I though it was complete trash, but like you say, other people seem to like it - I think it really divides opinions that one.

Hee, yeah. I think her second book was called Lucky, so I just combined them both... I blame the confusing red mist that descends when I think of the time that book STOLE from me. :impissed:

Another bad, bad book is The Bridges of Madison County (though I guiltily confess to watching the film and liking it 'cuz I :heart: Meryl). It is apparently (one of?) the best-selling hardback of all time, and it's pure turd. "He moved over her like a leopard...". HAHAHA.

I'd also like to anti-recommend anything written by L.Ron Hubbard.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *Stacey* wrote:

As for "good ol' Dave's mother" pinpointing him out, there are many cases out there where there is infact only one child abused out of the family. If one child gets abused in the family, that doesn't necessarily mean that the rest do.

If we assume that Dave Pelzer's story is true, then actually he wasn't the only son to be abused - his brother has since written a book about how he was abused after David got put into care. As for reasons - I think we can assume that his Mum was seriously disturbed/psychotic and sometimes there just isn't any other justification. I'm not saying that I think the book was great - it was actually a torturous read and I would'nt read it or any other books like it again. However, the most disturbing thing about it was how his Dad just left him to rot and I think that's one of the most important things that needs to be brought to light. Many people ignore child abuse and lucky for David his teachers got involved - It's positive when people talk about these things but probably not in the form of a novel!!

Anyway to answer the original question - I really disliked reading Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, despite loving many of her other books.
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    Anyway to answer the original question - I really disliked reading Surfacing by Margaret Atwood, despite loving many of her other books.

It's always interesting to hear which of MA's books is the one (?) people dislike, for me it's Cat's Eye. I've adored everything else that she's written and I've read. ;)

I also hated The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, and this came highly recommended to me by someone whose taste in books I trust implicitly.. so I was very disappointed! It started well but then turned into dafties fantasy land.

Ooh, this is very cathartic, I could keep this thread going on my own I think.
  • Options
    Jurassic Park: The Lost World :yes:

I'm just going to list the Michael Crichton bibliography tbh.......
  • Options
    I'm a very discerning reader so I shall write off large swathes of literature in the following points.

Anything by Thomas Hardy. The most boring and overrated 'classical' author ever. Tess of the D'Urbervilles was completely unreadable.

Anything by Jeffrey Archer, Barbara Cartland, Jacky Collins, Jilly Cooper and any other trash my Mum seems to like to read.

Books that white liberal South-American-ophiles rave about not because they're good, only because they're 'ethnic' like stuff by Marquez, Borges and Isable Allende. The only one I'd save is Cien Anos de Soledad by Marquez. Not a bad read.

Autobiographies by people who decide to cash in on their 15 minutes of fame by bringing out this completely unnecessary addition to any Z-list celebrity's portfolio.

All that said, there are thousands of books I would save from the flames but I feel our world would be better without said authors and their works.
  • Options
    Anything by Thomas Hardy. The most boring and overrated 'classical' author ever. Tess of the D'Urbervilles was completely unreadable.
    Yes, GCSE english with 'Far from the Madding Crowd' killed him off for me.
  • Options
    Most of the books I had to read at uni for English, like the turn of the screw and heart of darkness, or james joyce's ramblings with no full stops or commas.

I agree that a child called it is shit.
  • Options

I would agree for the most part, but The Woodlanders is one of my favourite books. I generally much prefer Hardy's poetry to his novels.

With you 100% on the autobiographies.
  • Options

Come on, Tess was quite juicy what with the rape/teenage pregnancy thing going on.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    one of my mums friends bought me back a book from america called 'hot chocolate for the mystical teenage soul' but it was quite interesting.
    Someone bought be a book called 'stargirl' i couldn't finish reading it because it seemed so weird and pointless.

I quite liked 'Stargirl'. I thought it was kinda cute and unusual - I liked the way she tried to make people she didn't know a little happier, and I thought the author's portrayal of teenage life and highschool was pretty accurate and interesting - a lot of authors stick to dumb stereotypical ideas like cliques etc.
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    THE WORST book I have ever read is The Lucky Bones which is a strange anomoly as a lot of intelligent people actually seem to like it. It's "victim fic" and I despise it. It's poorly written, manipulative, bizarre and has the most ridiculous twist near the end that almost floored me and not in a good way.. Shit.

I asked for that book as a gift a while back, as I'd read the first few chapters before.. but god did it drag on. I got so bored of reading about her stupid family.. and the fact the police took so long to cotton on spoilt it for me.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I asked for that book as a gift a while back, as I'd read the first few chapters before.. but god did it drag on. I got so bored of reading about her stupid family.. and the fact the police took so long to cotton on spoilt it for me.

Oh ma gawd. The ending for that book is brilliant :D
  • Options
    The worst book I've ever read is probably To Hell In a Handcart by Richard Littlejohn.
  • Options
    Anything by Jane Austen is, by law, completely and utterly shit. I wouldn't wipe my arse with her "classics". Zadie Smith is equally dire, and equally pretentious, and equally unreadable.

The worst book ever written is The Da Vinci Code, however. Sod being sued for libel, the author of that tripe should have been jailed for outraging public decency. The book is offensively bad.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The worst book ever written is The Da Vinci Code, however. Sod being sued for libel, the author of that tripe should have been jailed for outraging public decency. The book is offensively bad.

I agree. I couldn't stand it, got about a third of the way through and couldn't bring myself to carry on.
  • Options
    The Bible imo...
  • Options
    argos catalogue.

Had to stop halfway through - I couldnt finish it.
  • Options
    argos catalogue.

:lol: :thumb:
  • Options
    argos catalogue.

That means you missed the big cliff hanger!

She's sitting on the slide....is she going to let go.......holy crap there's a guy with a water gun on the next page! Slide little girl, SLIDE!
  • Options
    :D hehe
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I dunno, Im reading it at the moment, and while it isnt the best thing ive ever read, im finding it quite exciting - but then again, im not particularly well read - i used to read more when i was younger. I probably just havent got enough experience of proper grown up books to compare it with.
  • Options
    It's not even about it not being a "grown up" book- one of the best books I've read was The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie- its more the fact that its shit.

It trades completely on its manufactured controversy, and its not even good controversy.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's not even about it not being a "grown up" book- one of the best books I've read was The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie- its more the fact that its shit.

It trades completely on its manufactured controversy, and its not even good controversy.

Finally! Something I agree with you on Kermit. The Da Vinci Code is desparingly terribley written, has a desparingly terrible storyline with a desparingly terrible 2d character. And the ending? OMG a three year old could have thought up something better. And the fact that he had to steal these absolutely despairingly terrible shitty ideas off of someone else says something about his level of intelligence. :mad:
  • Options
    I would've thought TDVC was a given for this thread. But yes, it is unspeakably bad. I would implore anyone who hasn't yet fallen prey to it to stay well away - because as bad as it is, it's literary crack.

It was badly written, the characters were ridiculous, it was full of plotholes... this is before we even get onto the fact that it was filled with so many elementary mistakes, I couldn't quite believe I was reading the same "bestseller" every Tom, Dick and Harry was raving about.

The part where he refers to the Dead Seas Scrolls as being among early Christian texts almost made me swallow my own tongue, he could've googled that. :shocking:
  • Options
    Da Vinci Code was shite. Read it in two evenings and felt so disappointed with it, I was expecting much better, given all the hype about it.