Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

survey says: 10 partners or less!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The latest sex survey carried out over the internet by some dating agency of some kind says that men are unlikely to marry any woman who has had sex with more then 10 partners. less then 10 they are likely to marry them, but more and they will see the woman as a "slut" and only be willing to have a short fling with them.

The survey also showed men see it as ok for themselves to have as many partners as possible before finally settling down to marriage.

What does anyone think about it?

I think it is fairly accurate, at least based on my friends relationships. The girls i know who have already had more then 10 partners find it hard to keep men for more then 6 months even when they fall in love with their boyfriends. And the guys i know tend not to want girls who have "been around abit" but i personally couldnt care less about my girls past if i like her.

Comments

• Options
    I think it's stupid. My last boyfriend had slept with around 14 people and looked appalled when I had told him how many I had slept with. (A LOT less).

Double standards.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Double standards.
    :yes: I knew this guy that slept around having one night stands yet when he found out about girls having one night stands he called them every name in the sun from slag to whore.

I think its a load of rubbish to be honest. If guys can have one night stands but then fall in love and settle with a girl then why can't girls do that too?

It really annoys me sometimes the way guys can get away with stuff girls can't.
  • Options
    call me a slut then!
  • Options
    My best friend has, at the last count, about 9 partners (that I know of!) and she is really struggling to find a decent guy for a relationship that lasts more than a month. I on the otherhand have only slept with 3 guys and my only two relationships have been 18months and the current one is almost at a year.

I think its more about the kind of guy certain "types" of girl attract than how many guys they've slept with, although I suppose a reputation for sleeping around is more likely to attract guys just after a quickie.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I do worry about this, and that over 10 is too many. But its one of those things, I am not a slut or a whore, but I just get bored in relationships and move on. However, I did a thread on this a while back, and someone said that whoever loves you shouldnt care how many people you have slept with. I personally like my boyfriend to have slept with more people than me, as I'd rather he had more experience. (even though it doesnt necessarily mean he is better, just a psychlogical thing.) But thats just me!
  • Options
    Of course. We all want to sleep around for 10 years, then marry a virgin. What's new?
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    And yet you'd like that virgin you marry to be extremely skilled at fellatio and open to being done up the arse.

:rolleyes:
    Why of course. :p
  • Options
    if men want their one night stands and casual sex then they need the women....so how can they call them sluts? if it wasnt for them they wouldnt be getting it!
  • Options
    I'll freely admit that a huge number would bother me. Not that she'd fucked a lot of guys, more the getting bored of one bloke thing.

I'd probably just not ask.
  • Options
    I have slept with more than 10 people. Two Long term and rest have been either short-term relationships or one night stands.

Now if I was a guy that said that. People would automatically see that as normal. Wouldn't give that a second thought. Or question that what so ever.

But as I'm a girl some people (Men+Women) would automatically judge me and think of me as a slut or have low self esteem, blah, blah. When really, I just love sex and when I meet someone I get on great with and am attracted to, I do tend to sleep with them in the early stages as it's important to me to see how we connect sexually as well. Not sure if I said that right. But ya know what I mean, right?!

Saying that, some people would easily judge a guy for having very few partners as well. Thinking the worst of him. Wondering what's so wrong with him that he couldn't get more partners, when maybe he genuinely doesn't like one night stands and prefers to wait a while before jumping into bed with someone.
  • Options
    I've been intimate with three girls. At 26, does that make me inexperienced? If it was thirteen, would that make me experienced? Or a slut? :)

I couldn't give a monkeys if a girl had been with one or twenty. If I loved them, then I loved them - and I'd trust them until I had a reason not to. I hope :).

Different people behave in different ways, especially when growing up - which included my age-range. Go ask your parents how many partners they've had - you may be surprised!
  • Options
    I have not had that many partners sexually speaking or many relationships, infact i havnt had a serious relationship for over a year now, but im cool with that.

Even though i have not had many partners, i am happy with one night stands if i get the chance or to have sex in the early stages of the relationship because sex is pretty important to me.

Saying all that, almost every girl i have been with except for one has had ex with way more men then i have women. In fact at least 2 girls i know have had near 20 sexual partners each and the others around 15ish. I dont mind from my point of view, but some girls once they learn they have slept with more men they i have women, dont want to get serious with me or dont like the idea of having a relationship anymore, which is rather annoying for me!
  • Options
    It has been pointed out on this board so many times that men and women are different especially with regards to sex (I especially remember the debate over the female teacher whole had sex with a 14 year old pupil) So why should this be any different? Why is it wrong to say men can sleep with as many women as they want but women can't? Why should men and women be equal with regards to this but not other areas of sex?

*by the way, this is not my opinion, just a thought.
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    Why is it wrong to say men can sleep with as many women as they want but women can't? Why should men and women be equal with regards to this but not other areas of sex?
    That's exactly the point. Men and women are attracted to different things. Girls like a man who's confident and knows what he's doing, whereas guys like a girl who's a bit innocent. It's hardly the revelation of the century. Whether it's right or wrong is another question.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    personally it doesn't bother me if my girlfriend has slept with more ppl than me. In fact I'm now going out with someone who has slept with over 3x the number i have, doesn't bother me at all (kind of nice in one way, as she know what she likes, when and how).
    As to the not marrying a women who has slept with over 10 men, i think thats crap. as i can easierly see me staying with this girl and marrying her. but maybe i'm strange and not normal.
  • Options
    personally dont bother me
  • Options
    There is an idea in existence that, if women sleep around, they are somehow being "sluts". If that is true, the same also applies to the men who sleep around. If this is truly the age of equality between the sexes, the same moral standards should apply to both. I would not choose to label a woman who had sex with a lot of different people as a "slut". I have little opinion of the matter. Sleeping around is something that can make me feel somewhat uncomfortable, but this is a very personal and private area of a person's life. My sole concern is that they are having safe sex, that they're not putting themselves at risk of STIs.

On a more personal level, I am not bothered by the number of sexual partners that my partner has had. (I'm single, just to make it clear) I do not believe it is something that should make any difference whatsoever to a relationship.
  • Options
    But bear in mind, that if you want to be able to sleep with loads of women, and then settle down with one who's sweet and innocent and virginal, you're going to either a) end up alone, or b) end up with a girl who lies to you about how many sexual partners she's had before.
    Or wait 'til your 30 and marry and 18 year old. :D

Seriously though, it's not double standards. It's only double standards when you start judging men and women differently for the same behaviour (which I realise happens). That's different to finding someone attractive because they're shy/inexperienced or confident/know what they're doing. Personally, I can't say it's number one on my priority list, I'd just be happy that someone likes me to be honest.
  • Options
    Am I the only girl on here that prefers a bloke who has had only afew partners?
    I met my ex when he was 22 and he'd only slept with one girl, but he'd been with her for 5 years and I think that's a good thing, show's dedication and stuff. And I also think it's likely to make him much better in bed than a bloke who just sleeps with loads of different women.
  • Options
    It makes me laugh, guys want to sleep with loads of women and then marry a virgin yeh? well who do they think their sleeping with in the 1st place? if they have slept with so many women how can they expect wimen to be virgins just due to a game of numbers?
  • Options
    Do any girls fancy sleeping with a male virgin? I'm not suggesting myself although I've never had sex yet with a girl.
  • Options
    Tugger wrote:
    Do any girls fancy sleeping with a male virgin?
    Well obviously, otherwise no-one would ever have sex.
  • Options
    Surely it all depends on when you get married, how much life experience you have, how many relationships you had, how long they were etc....
    You marry someone because you want to spend the rest of your life with them, not because they are fresh as daisies presented to you on a plate to pleasure you until you die.

I've recently had sex with a girl that's had over 80 sexual partners, and it was cool.
    She knew what she was doing.

I went through a stage in 2003 where i lived in a large house in Essex with 2 other blokes and we had what we used to call "pimp parties" 4-5 times a week. During a period of about 6 months we must have slept with 15 girls each at least...

It's not about the number, it's all about having fun!! (until you get married :D)

For fucks sake, it's the 21st Century!!
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    :yes: I knew this guy that slept around having one night stands yet when he found out about girls having one night stands he called them every name in the sun from slag to whore.

I think its a load of rubbish to be honest. If guys can have one night stands but then fall in love and settle with a girl then why can't girls do that too?

It really annoys me sometimes the way guys can get away with stuff girls can't.

Don't it just!
    Us guys are such a damn pain.
    Marry me. :D
  • Options
    Fair enough; if you want there to be dual standards by which men and women should be judged, then you're in luck as that's what we've now got. But bear in mind, that if you want to be able to sleep with loads of women, and then settle down with one who's sweet and innocent and virginal, you're going to either a) end up alone, or b) end up with a girl who lies to you about how many sexual partners she's had before.

Well, exactly. Wishful thinking in its purest form.

Any man who would consider virginity as a deciding factor in whether or not he married me wouldn't be a man I'd be interested in losing my hypothetical virginity to anyway. If that makes sense to anyone but me.. ;) :thumb:
  • Options
    migpilot wrote:
    You marry someone because you want to spend the rest of your life with them, not because they are fresh as daisies presented to you on a plate to pleasure you until you die.

Exactly.
    If two people had a real connection, then it would be a fool who would say no-way just because she happened to have had sex with a few more people than he`d like.

I can see why it would matter if someone had deep religious feelings about it, but generally I think its probably more men applying double standards. As soon as they realise thats what theyre doing, they should give thmselves a large slap round the face with a bit of wet cod!
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Well, exactly. Wishful thinking in its purest form.

Any man who would consider virginity as a deciding factor in whether or not he married me wouldn't be a man I'd be interested in losing my hypothetical virginity to anyway. If that makes sense to anyone but me.. ;) :thumb:
    :yes:
  • Options
    I can see why it would matter if someone had deep religious feelings about it, but generally I think its probably more men applying double standards. As soon as they realise thats what theyre doing, they should give thmselves a large slap round the face with a bit of wet cod!

Agreed, and if they're not willing to give themselves a slap I'll volunteer to help them out in that department. ;)

Definitely agree on the religious aspect, that does alter things because it's not just the baseless applying of double standards as you said. But then hopefully any man who considered virginity a necessity for marriage wouldn't be being hypocritical and having sexual relationships/shagging about themselves. Hmm.