Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Worst Books Ever

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I was reading some of those Point Horror books from my younger days (purely for nostalgic purposes ofc)..how SHIT are they? I couldnt believe that it had been published..The one I read btw was called The Cemetary.

Anyone reccomend any other shit books they want to burn?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    the kind of shit chick lit you get free with magazines.

they usually feature some dimwitted girl called something like saffron or felicity (fel to her friends) who has some insipid job in marketing or fashion and shags a lot.

and harry potter.
    kaffrin wrote:

they usually feature some dimwitted girl called something like saffron or felicity (fel to her friends) who has some insipid job in marketing or fashion and shags a lot.

and harry potter.

did you buy cosmopolitian this month too? :blush:
    Black lace books..... :blush: they make me laugh. :razz:
    The shittiest books are the ones that are too dire to read... One Hundred Years Of SOlitude springs to mind.
    What about those kids horror books that were a blatant rip off of goosebumps?I cant remember the name and its pissing me off now but I know that there was a book about a scarecrow that ripped peoples tongues out( :confused: )and one called "Blood on tap".
    Someone help me with this cos I`ll be thinking about this all bloody night now!! :mad:
    ohh is it shivers??
    \
    Any of those written people who blatantly can't write for shit telling depressing stories about the years of abuse they suffered at the hands of their parents or whatever. Without meaning to be unsympathetic, I have no desire to read hundreds of pages of someone who writes like a 13 year old talking about how their mother locked them in the cupboard and made them eat their own faeces. I think the worst one is Dave Pelzer, A Child Called It or something like that. It's utter crap.
    Why read them then if you don't like stories like that?

You may think its crap but there are people out who those kind of stories help.
    No.......it wasnt shivers.I think it had terror in the title. :chin:
    Sometimes you have to read something to realise how shit it is.

I agree about the David Pelzer books. They're pretty crap. I hate in your face books like that. The reader is usually manipulated to think 'awwh what a poor guy' Then what?

Isn't there some doubt as to whether Pelzer's experiences are real anywho?
    Books like David Pelzers inspires others who have been abused to speak out and know that other people out there have gone through what they have. Books like his are about children who manage to survive.

I've read this book amongst a few others with similar story lines and I most certainly don't think they are crap. Yeah some people may doubt what he has wrote is true but many of these people come from stable, happy homes and seem to believe that this kind of stuff doesn't happen.
    Agree with Kaffrins post and also, the Romana books.
    \
    Was the "chicken soup for the _____ soul" big books over there? What a load of snoozers that was too.
    \
    I don't understand how a catalogue of child abuse is 'inspirational'. It's poorly written and leaves many questions unanswered. How did his mum go from loving to a complete monster? There is no explaintation apart from a very vague reference to alcoholism.

I think it was the New York Times Magazine that pointed out that he's probably a con man.

Look on it as a work of fiction with graphic abuse. You can get the same sort of thing for 60p in 'Take a Break'.
    I only read one. I just thought it was so depressing and a bit pointless: yes I know lots of children are abused, and it's horrific, but I don't see the need to read endless stories of just how horrific it was.
    Why read it then if you don't want to read a depressing story about a child's life? Most books have a description on the back. Surely you don't expect a story about child abuse to be a happy one?

I happen to believe David Pelzer's story is an inspiring one. Jane Elliots "The little prisoner" is written slightly better though.
    Well whether its true or not. It clearly focuses on the unbelievable abuse he suffered rather than delving any deeper like why this happened? There is always a 'single tear' rolling down someone's cheek. Its a load of poo
    Rachael wrote:
    I don't understand how a catalogue of child abuse is 'inspirational'. It's poorly written and leaves many questions unanswered. How did his mum go from loving to a complete monster? There is no explaintation apart from a very vague reference to alcoholism.

I think it was the New York Times Magazine that pointed out that he's probably a con man.

Look on it as a work of fiction with graphic abuse. You can get the same sort of thing for 60p in 'Take a Break'.
    Its not necessarily a "catalogue" to be fair. Only a few books on child abuse are actually decent. Personally, I think David Pelzers book is a good read although it could have been written slightly better. I prefer Jane Elliots "The little prisoner" to be honest.

It may not seem inspirational to you but to others, reading these kind of stories helps them in more ways than one. These stories help some people to speak out about their past experiences, it helps some people deal with their past and it also helps other people who have known people who have been abused.

If people don't want to read books about abuse then the simple answer is, don't read them. You shouldn't really complain about how depressing the story was when a description of the story is always given on the back of a book. No story about child abuse is going to be a happy one. Lets face it.
    Rachael wrote:
    Well whether its true or not. It clearly focuses on the unbelievable abuse he suffered rather than delving any deeper like why this happened? There is always a 'single tear' rolling down someone's cheek. Its a load of poo
    Maybe he never knew why he got abused or why any of this happened?

There are hundreds of people out there who are probably asking why it happened to them. Sometimes, there isn't always an answer and this is more likely the case if it is actually a true story.
    How is that supposed to help sufferers? Let's follow his lead and write a book full of juicy beatings when we hit our midlife crisis? There are so many inadequacies and in my opinion he doesn't deserve respect.

One of his own gems of advice is 'not to dwell on the past'. No just make a gazillion pounds out of it instead.
    \
    Rachael wrote:
    How is that supposed to help sufferers? Let's follow his lead and write a book full of juicy beatings when we hit our midlife crisis? There are so many inadequacies and in my opinion he doesn't deserve respect.

One of his own gems of advice is 'not to dwell on the past'. No just make a gazillion pounds out of it instead.
    You suggest that sufferers are going to follow David Pelzers lead and write a book but since when did I suggest that?

I quite clearly suggested that for people who have suffered from abuse this book MAY help them deal with their past. It MAY give those who have been abused to speak out. It MAY help those who know people who have been abused to understand their behaviour. There are many reasons why these kind of stories may help people.

In my opinion, I have respect for anyone who is able to share their experiences and help other people. For those that don't like reading books about abuse, don't read them.
    No I didn't expect it to be happy, and to be fair I only read it because I kept seeing people reading it on the train and wanted to form my own opinion. However, I had thought it might have been more inspiring than it was, but in fact it was just one story after another about detailing the horrendous things his mother did to him. Telling the story of the suffering is the only point in the book, and as such I just thought just it was indulgent and unnecessarily graphic.

If he inspires other victims of abuse then obviously that's great, and maybe his other books are slightly less like graphic works of fiction and more like self-help manuals. I just thought it was trashy and a bit sinister, playing up to the human voyeuristic tendency to want to hear ever more violent and disturbing details about thinngs.

It is graphic, yeah I must admit but what do you expect really from a book about child abuse.

Jane Elliots book "The little prisoner" is so much better and I found it to be very inspirational. I've read it several times now.
    Jurassic Park :yes:
    How is it supposed to help sufferers understand their tormentor's behaviour? It has NO mention whatsoever as I said before, about the reasons behind this abuse apart from alcoholism.

I haven't read this book for a while but didn't good ole' Dave's mother pinpoint him out of his other brothers? Strange that

You keep saying 'if you don't like reading about child abuse then don't read it'. I dont think its a question about whether you like to read about child abuse. Hardly anyone is going to list that on their C.V. 'I LOVE reading about child abuse'.

Unlike Pelzer you dont have to resort to manipulative single tears rolling down the cheek, severe inadequacies or an overuse of gory adjectives to do so.
    I never once said that reading these type of books would help sufferers understand their tormentor's behaviour did I? I said
    These stories help some people to speak out about their past experiences, it helps some people deal with their past and it also helps other people who have known people who have been abused.

Stories like Davids DO help others to speak out about their experiences. There are people out there who get abused that only think it happens to them. I personally think that Jane Elliots book could help many people out there who haven't yet spoken out about their abuse, speak out. Stories like this help other people to have the guts to get justice for the pain they suffered as a child. Yes, for many readers it could go completely the opposite way and bring up horrible memories for them but for some people who have suffered abuse as a child, it will help them.

As for "good ol' Dave's mother" pinpointing him out, there are many cases out there where there is infact only one child abused out of the family. If one child gets abused in the family, that doesn't necessarily mean that the rest do.

As for the whole "if you don't like reading about child abuse, then don't read it", I'm still sticking to my guns. Its what I think. I don't like horror stories so I don't read them. Personally, I don't understand why people read books that they know they are not going to enjoy reading. If you like reading a range of books and decided to give this one a go then didn't enjoy reading it then fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

Like I've been saying all throughout this thread though, David Pelzer could have written his book better. Jane Elliots book on her experiences is a much better read to be honest :yes:
    kaffrin wrote:

and harry potter.

Hey I like them kind of book! :p I also like Harry Potter
    I personally enjoy reading books such as the kind Dave Pelzer writes. I would rather read them than some stupid chick lit.
    one of my mums friends bought me back a book from america called 'hot chocolate for the mystical teenage soul' but it was quite interesting.
    Someone bought be a book called 'stargirl' i couldn't finish reading it because it seemed so weird and pointless.
    Any of those written people who blatantly can't write for shit telling depressing stories about the years of abuse they suffered at the hands of their parents or whatever. Without meaning to be unsympathetic, I have no desire to read hundreds of pages of someone who writes like a 13 year old talking about how their mother locked them in the cupboard and made them eat their own faeces. I think the worst one is Dave Pelzer, A Child Called It or something like that. It's utter crap.

I love you! Let's get married, and agree on everything. ;):heart:

The writing in those books is offensively bad, though I'm considering milking my past in order to make a mint, since I can write far more eloquently than Dave Pelzer. I don't know that these books do help the situations the reader might be in, to be honest, but if someone feels the book helps them then fair fucks to them.

The funniest story is that of James Frey, who wrote A Million Little Pieces about his terrrrrible life, and was heralded as a true hero by Oprah (hee) before people started to discover that no, he hadn't been to prison... no, he didn't have a lady friend who committed suicide horribly (who, iirc, batshit Winona Ryder claimed to be friends with...). Can't say I've read it so I can't comment on his writing.

THE WORST book I have ever read is The Lucky Bones which is a strange anomoly as a lot of intelligent people actually seem to like it. It's "victim fic" and I despise it. It's poorly written, manipulative, bizarre and has the most ridiculous twist near the end that almost floored me and not in a good way.. Shit.

Also cowering under the umbrella of shit vicfic is She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, which I liked at first until I realised he was putting me through the emotional wringer and I wasn't going to get a proper happy-ending payoff. :p