Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

MDMA/Pills & Memory

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know this is probably a bit of a naive question, but I've been wondering about it for a while.
Does taking pills actually affect your memory? I'm not talking in the immediate sense, as in that night or the day after, I mean for a certain period of time afterwards.
To be honest I should probably know more because I study alot about the neurological effects of drugs at uni, but I'm still unsure of this.
I realise research is still ongoing and there aren't many firm conclusions but was wondering if anyone here knew more about it.

I guess I'm interested because with exams coming up, I work hard but like to go out once in a while and relax, which usually involves doing some coke or a couple of pills (so I'm not talking about getting absolutely wasted here, would save that for after exams..). Obviously I don't want it to have a bad effect on my learning capability! I often read experiments on rats and people who've been given a regular dose of MDMA then a few weeks later (sometimes up to 8 weeks), perform significantly worse on certain memory tasks than controls. I'm aware that a pure dosage of MDMA is a hell of alot different than a couple of your average pills but it's still quite worrying.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    abusing the fuck out of mdma definatly has a negative effect on your memory ... this time last year i was really takin the piss with e's and my head was clean up my arse for the majority of the time

being a daily cannabis smoker my memory isnt the greatest anyway, but during that period my head was so ... 'fluffy' (for lack of a better word, im sure some people understand what i mean :P) not to mention feeling like an empty shell so to speak in general

i found that it got a lot better a few months after, i dont bother with ecstasy much anymore due to killer come downs, and dont seem to notice any negative effects that linger for anymore than a few days

you seem to be the type with a bit more sense than your average pill head, spacing out your usage and not ripping the arse out of it dosage wise, so i'd guess as long as you dont start gonig mad with it you're not gonna have too much bother

i suppose you'd be better off with a few opinions from casual users

good lucky anyhow :thumb:
    I would say I used it once or twice a month... I try to keep it to once, but it depends on what partys / rave nights are on etc...
    When I do use it I tend not to over do it either, I would say at a rave I would do 3 or 4 pills during the night depending on the quallity...

I have never noticed any memory problems from it, although I would say if your in the middle of exams then you should probably be very careful with usage...

I work full time so I can get away with being a vegetable at work every now and then! :D
    Hey people, new here :wave: , been lingering around readin these forums for a couple of months, they are V interestin!... Anyway, BACK on subject, Im a regular pill taker, started taking them, say, June last year, and have taken them probably most weekends since that month ! :eek:... since my discovery of drugs, av dabbled with a few other stuff at after parties (GHB, Speed, Ket etc)...and would say iv learnt a lot about the tough game you tend to play with it all, and must say that burnin the candle at both ends isnt worth it AT ALL! (i.e. trying to work/study/live thru the comdown)...

Anyway, my opinion on MDMA effecting your memory, is that I personally dont think it entirely does...this is just from my personal experiences.. I think it is a strong drug, that can leave you feeling scatty for DAYS, but after about a week or two, you feel totally normal again, and this continues to happen even after a year of abuse :shocking: ... Now who knows, my memory could be totally :banghead: but I really dont think it has, and actually I feel like iv learnt a LOT from my whole experiences... If you speak to people who took mdma years ago, and asked them how they feel now, most of them say that they feel totally normal, an boy was mdma strong back in the day...I think some how the brain restores itself, as it tends to do with alcohol intoxication..

Anyway av rambled enough, who knows if im right or wrong, but just sharing my experiences :thumb:
    The short answer is we dont know and cant tell you. But on balance occasional use of MDMA where you follow all the usual advice shouldnt have a noticable impact upon your memory.
    My memory is totally fucked, but I can't be sure sure it's definitely a result of E.

Certainly the last year since i've pretty much given up E i've aquired a habit of setting off for shops, walking right past them and only realising when i'm 100 yards down the street.
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There have been several studies done on the effects of MDMA on memory, which you can find on Erowid - MDMA Neurotoxicity has a section on neurofunctional and cognitive differences between users and non users.
    Memory impairment in abstinent MDMA ('Ecstasy') users and Working Memory Deficits in Current and Previous Users of MDMA ('ecstasy'), speak for themselves.
    Probably the easiest one to browse are the Summaries of MDMA Research which they have kindly collated for you.
    The picture is really clouded by poly-drug use though, virtually no studies taking this into account. Next to no MDMA users use it by itself.
    Spliffie wrote:
    My memory is totally fucked, but I can't be sure sure it's definitely a result of E.

but you smoke weed regularly, right?
    So what about coke? I haven't seen half as much research about its effect on memory/general cognitive functioning than I have on MDMA.
    I personally think e has a strong negative affect on memory much like pot does, its just it hasn't got the research behind it

Cannabis doesnt seem to have a long term effect, MDMA can do.

Though thats a simplistic view of it because we are not sure what the long term neuron damage actually means.
  • KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    There's an article on here called E and holes in the brain
    Its a difficult one as i would say dont do anything until your exams are over, just so you have a clear head, i dont think its the memory thing as such but more of feeling like shit! and not being focussed enough subsequently you wont remember anything because you cant be arsed! lol

On the other hand exams are stressful and you need to unwind at times so just do it in moderation, its all about prioritising....whats more important..... getting on it or passing your exams.

Good luck xx
    I haven't noticed much change in my memory but how exactly would you know? Like is it just you would notice yourself remembering less things? I don't know. It's hard to tell. I don't think I've changed much since before drugs.

Still scary all the same. :nervous:
    I haven't much change in my memory but how exactly would you know? Like is it just you would notice yourself remembering less things. I don't know. it's hard to tell. I don't think I've changed much since before drugs.

Still scary all the same. :nervous:
    Pink Soda wrote:
    So what about coke? I haven't seen half as much research about its effect on memory/general cognitive functioning than I have on MDMA.

Apart from re-programming the way the brain sees and experiences pleasure I havent seen anything to suggest that moderate cocaine use causes significant memory damage. But thats far from saying its safe.
    I'd say blow is the biggest contributor to memory loss or being slow to remember things...though other drugs will do their part too I think. Ever since I quit drugs I've noticed myself being quicker, remembering things easier.

One thing that's sure for pills is short term memory loss, I love talking to my mates out of it and then not having a clue what you were talking about one second afterwards. :D
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    There is an interesting article in the Guardian today about this very topic -The strange case of the man who took 40,000 ecstasy pills in nine years. The title is a little more Mirror than Guardian, but there you go...
    Grim case, I'd question the sanity of anyone who would want to do that in the first place let alone afterwards.

Though as they point out the science linking MDMA to depression and memory problems although perhaps indicative isnt conclusive or definite.
    LadyJade wrote:
    There is an interesting article in the Guardian today about this very topic -The strange case of the man who took 40,000 ecstasy pills in nine years. The title is a little more Mirror than Guardian, but there you go...

Holy Fuck what a nutter!

Also Leah Betts, 14 pints in 90 minutes? WTF? :shocking:
  • smitherzsmitherz Posts: 968 Part of The Mix Family
    I have got the same problem. I also smoke cannabis regularly (everyday) and i have done for several years. Apart from having memory loss when stoned the effects do not follow after you sobre up. Sinse taking pills and MDMA my memory is worse than ever. Most weekends i would take them and in one night i have found myself to easily consume 10 - 15 pills or a 1g of MDMA. Although i have recently retired from the "E" experience my head still feels fucked !!

Does anyone know if you memory gets better over time, or am i fucked for the rest of my years?

smitherz
    Neuron damage does seem to persist in at least the medium to long term, but that doesnt have to mean a decrease in mood or memory skills.

Use it or loose it basically, take up a new skill, sudoku or chess or painting any of those sorts of things will help, juggling is supposed to be good too.