Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

barking bastard!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone got any ideas on how i can stop my dog barking all the time?

every time we let him out he just barks continuously and its pissing the neighbours off big time.

Comments

• Options
    you should watch that dog programme on c4! you could probably read about ti on the c4 website.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Shoot it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kentish wrote:
    Shoot it.
    I was going to say that!
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    Shoot it.
    just over 5 mins...about what i thought
  • Options
    Try a bottle with gravel in it,not a lot just enough to make a loud noise.Whenever your dog starts barking shake the bottle really hard once and shout no at it. :thumb:
    The noise of the gravel should hopefully startle it and make it shut up.Just dont overuse it or the dog wont care after a little while.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    beat the shit out of it every time it starts ...it'll soon learn.
  • Options
    beat the shit out of it every time it starts ...it'll soon learn.
    for some reason my girlfriend isnt too keen on that idea,can't think why?..... :chin:
  • Options
    The Leaf wrote:
    Try a bottle with gravel in it,not a lot just enough to make a loud noise.Whenever your dog starts barking shake the bottle really hard once and shout no at it. :thumb:
    The noise of the gravel should hopefully startle it and make it shut up.Just dont overuse it or the dog wont care after a little while.
    Hope this helps.
    i might try that,thanks
  • Options
    Tie his mouth shut.

Give him some whisky so he sleeps.

Get him high.

Make a fuss of him for ages.
  • Options
    u need to teach him commands for quiet and commands for bark

hype him up and get him to bark, when he barks say the word "bark" or "speak" and give him a tasty treat

Repeat until you can say the word and he barks on command

Then when he barks without being commanded, use a distraction technique such as the bottle idea suggested, or a very loud clap/pot noodle horn (ha). At the precise moment that he barks (must not be when he has stopped) do the distraction noise (only once) and say "quiet". if he stops barking reward him with treats and praise.

Repeat this until he will be quiet on command and always, *always* reward him when he does what you asked

this method will teach the dog that it is ok to bark which is important because its a natural behaviour for a dog. But it will teach him that he can bark when you say so, and that he needs to be quiet when you say so

this will take some time and effort but it will work so long as you are consistant with the training. If you give him mixed signals then it will make it difficult for him to learn and may make him worse
  • Options
    there was a dog just on the news that had a beer bottle rammed down its throat.

dont do that tho
  • Options
    Me nighbors had the voice box removed from their dog. They lived next to a golf course so they didn't want him barking. He just wheezed. It kept him quiet to say the least. :thumb:
  • Options
    If you beat them up then they can get all crazy and bite randomly...better to teach them not to do it at all than make them into a psycho dog?!
  • Options
    Try a bottle of fairy liquid filled with water too.When it barks give it a quick squirt in the face and say quiet or no.
    Just try not to throw the bottle at it though!!! :D
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    Me nighbors had the voice box removed from their dog. They lived next to a golf course so they didn't want him barking. He just wheezed. It kept him quiet to say the least. :thumb:

:( :no:

Our dog barks randomly sometimes, I think it's often excitement at being let out rather than actually seeing anything worth barking at.

Blah's advice is really good, if you stick to it I can really imagine it being effective. Otherwise if you're letting him out into the garden/yard/wherever maybe you could lead him out by his collar rather than just letting him leg it. Then if he starts barking like a nutter you can just tell him "no" or "bad" or whatever word you use to show disapproval.. and bring him straight back inside. He might learn that he only gets out when he doesn't bark...or I could be talking shite. :razz:
  • Options
    I said that!! :D
    Water doesnt work on all dogs though.....my aunts german sheperd loves water and tries to attack it........its great fun spraying her in the face with a hose and throwing buckets of water over her! :thumb:
    She does stink in the back of the car afterwards though..... :eek:
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    :( :no:

Our dog barks randomly sometimes, I think it's often excitement at being let out rather than actually seeing anything worth barking at.

Blah's advice is really good, if you stick to it I can really imagine it being effective. Otherwise if you're letting him out into the garden/yard/wherever maybe you could lead him out by his collar rather than just letting him leg it. Then if he starts barking like a nutter you can just tell him "no" or "bad" or whatever word you use to show disapproval.. and bring him straight back inside. He might learn that he only gets out when he doesn't bark...or I could be talking shite. :razz:

thats really good too, nice one :)

oh and mine will work because we've tried and tested it on dogs brought into uni ;)
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    u need to teach him commands for quiet and commands for bark

hype him up and get him to bark, when he barks say the word "bark" or "speak" and give him a tasty treat

Repeat until you can say the word and he barks on command

Then when he barks without being commanded, use a distraction technique such as the bottle idea suggested, or a very loud clap/pot noodle horn (ha). At the precise moment that he barks (must not be when he has stopped) do the distraction noise (only once) and say "quiet". if he stops barking reward him with treats and praise.

Repeat this until he will be quiet on command and always, *always* reward him when he does what you asked

this method will teach the dog that it is ok to bark which is important because its a natural behaviour for a dog. But it will teach him that he can bark when you say so, and that he needs to be quiet when you say so

this will take some time and effort but it will work so long as you are consistant with the training. If you give him mixed signals then it will make it difficult for him to learn and may make him worse
    i'm gonna have a bash at that,thanks
  • Options
    Shall i start charging for online dog behaviour advice

that'll be £90 please :razz:
  • Options
    It sort of a common sense thing but its just finding the right way about it

You'd be suprised how many people have no idea about training their dog, and how many mixed signals they give to them.

Dogs dont set out to be badly behaved (in fact they dont even have the mental ability to want to be bad), they just havent always been taught how to live how people want them to

Stuff like this is good experience for me though even though its over the internet, DEANO MAC would you be able to tell me how it goes? by pm or whatever
  • Options
    Kill it?
  • Options
    remove its voice box?
  • Options
    Blah wrote:
    You'd be suprised how many people have no idea about training their dog, and how many mixed signals they give to them.

Dogs dont set out to be badly behaved (in fact they dont even have the mental ability to want to be bad), they just havent always been taught how to live how people want them to

Stuff like this is good experience for me though even though its over the internet, DEANO MAC would you be able to tell me how it goes? by pm or whatever
    yea no probs,can i also screem at you when the little bastard won't behave?
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    yea no probs,can i also screem at you when the little bastard won't behave?

oh yeeha :yes:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Kill it?
    And bake it
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    And bake it
    i hope you know that my dogs looking at all this,and he's far from impressed i can tell you!
    infact he said,"if i had fingers,i'd flame them bastards!"...you see,not impressed at all!
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i hope you know that my dogs looking at all this,and he's far from impressed i can tell you!
    infact he said,"if i had fingers,i'd flame them bastards!"...you see,not impressed at all!
    your dog talks more sense than klintock!
  • Options
    your dog talks more sense than klintock!
    well actually,he doesnt believe that klintock exists.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    well actually,he doesnt believe that klintock exists.
    sensible.