Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Once There Was An Irish Church ~ neither catholic nor protestant!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have read that there was once an Irish church long before the catholics came on the scene and displaced it. A very different 'religion' than what is practiced today.

Not a lot of literature on the subject here and I have to wonder what is known of this subject in the ol pirate kingdom.

No religious flame war please...this is an honest inquiry...I don't give a fig whether you hold to a Faith or belong to some religious activity or cult.

Apparently old stone carvings bear out the existence of this early church and my interest is whether any vestage of it has survived as often happens when one group (church) is assimilated by another.

It's morning here...6:12 a.m. so I imagine I'm catching you at evening on Saturday...cya later.

Diesel

Comments

• Options
    Diesel,

Now im no expert on religious history but if I remember rightly there were a people called the Picts. They were the original inhabitants of whats now called Scotland. They are who todays Irish are descended from. They were around at the time of the Roman occupation. Their religion was druidism.

Not sure if thats what you were after or the right time frame. After the Picts came the celts somewhere around the year 700 I think.

You are right though, the British isles was a much more integrated place back then. Just about everyone was a member of the Druidic religion. Nothings caused as much war as religion.

It was 14:09pm when you posted your message. How the hell can you get up so bloody early...Its not natural.
  • Options
    Balddog, I get up at about 4:00 a.m. seems old habits die hard.

The church in Ireland that I am talking about was an early christian church...not the druids.

Diesel

• Options
    Originally posted by Balddog:
    Diesel,

Now im no expert on religious history but if I remember rightly there were a people called the Picts. They were the original inhabitants of whats now called Scotland. They are who todays Irish are descended from. They were around at the time of the Roman occupation. Their religion was druidism.

The Picts were imigrants, displacing the previous occupants, about which we know little.

• Options
    so far as i know, when christianity came to Ireland, it was in the form of catholicism (or what later became catholicism). hence why it probably didnt have a denomination attached. the 'Church of Ireland' was kinda like the Church of England/Scotland, in that it was formed around the time of the reformation as an Established (ie linked directly to the state) Church, with vaguely Protestant doctrines. other than that, i really do not know. but i'll see if i can find out.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum