Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Firearms

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'd probably have a gun with me if it was legal, but only for protection.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    But the NHS is part of the state I pay into. .
    and klinty is taking wages off them!
    it must be very disheartening having all these beliefs about the state and money and then ...having to work for them aye?
  • Options
    I wouldn't carry one, and I certainly wouldn't want them to become legal.

That's why we get 1 school/workplace shooting tragedy every other decade in Britain, compared with 1 every other fucking week in the US (slight exageration but you get my point).

And of course, once people start owning guns legally they appear to lose the concept of the sanctity of human life- hence why in many States in the US few see anything wrong with murdering a burglar for the grand capital crime of petty theft- not least because the law doesn't seem to see anything wrong with it either.

I've gone to shooting ranges in the US and shot with both guns and assault rifles- and as far as target shooting goes, it's fucking brilliant. But there is no reason why anyone should own the guns and take them home with them. For those who like shooting as a sport, allow clubs to run the ranges and the guns to be deposited securely there when not in use. For anything else, no, nobody needs guns.
  • Options
    it must be very disheartening having all these beliefs about the state and money and then ...having to work for them aye?

It is Mr. Roll. It is.
  • Options
    For anything else, no, nobody needs guns.

Except your thieving buddies in the state, aye?
  • Options
    Gun crimes happen daily int he UK now already so legalising them probably isnt a good idea, but i think i would have one at home in a lick box incase i needed it if they were legal, you know to shoot a burglar in the back or something if they were trying to rob my house one night.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Gun crimes happen daily int he UK now already so legalising them probably isnt a good idea, .
    they were perfectly legal up till about 10 yrs ago ...hardly any gun crime.
    then the government decided everyone had to hand in their pistols and revolvers.
    everyone in the countryside was warning the government that making it completely illegal would cause a boom in the supply of illegal guns ...it came to pass.
    now only criminals have guns ...it isn't against the law for them cos ...they have no laws.
  • Options
    No I wouldn't....

I don't need protection, I don't need to feel like I have the power to kill somebody, I don't need to entertain myself by shooting beercans.

To me, the only people who should be allowed guns (apart from the military and people protecting others) should be people who intend to hunt for food and that is it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    If it was legal, would you carry one?

Yes. Of course I would. My second ammendmant right and a form of protection!

but over here, if I used it, even threatened a robber with it so he left me alone, he might sue me for mental trauma. I should have sued the cunts that fuck with me and my mates sometimes in their huge mobs. Tossers.

Plus it'd give me something to do, I could sit around cleaning it whilst waiting for a film. :D

*Orders a TT-33*
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    but over here, if I used it, even threatened a robber with it so he left me alone, he might sue me for mental trauma.

yes mate ...and it would be you who ended up doing porridge while the offender got a free holiday in south africa and a big fat cheque!
  • Options
    yes mate ...and it would be you who ended up doing porridge while the offender got a free holiday in south africa and a big fat cheque!
    Sadly so.

The only thing about letting everyone have a gun is - the bad people gt them easier.

We should have some sort of "Firearms test" - only letting responsible people get them legally. But how can you define that? How can you really tell the correct people from the bad.
  • Options
    they were perfectly legal up till about 10 yrs ago ...hardly any gun crime.
    then the government decided everyone had to hand in their pistols and revolvers.
    everyone in the countryside was warning the government that making it completely illegal would cause a boom in the supply of illegal guns ...it came to pass.
    now only criminals have guns ...it isn't against the law for them cos ...they have no laws.

Wasnt that all down to Dunblaine though and the post Dunblaine parents quest to make all guns illegal in every way because of what happened?
  • Options
    I think of guns etc as really unpleasant. Gun crime in this country seems to be bad enough as it is, I don't really agree with anyone owning a gun.. farmers etc.. all it ends in is someone, or something, getting hurt.

I find it horrid that many parents are actually giving their kids air and ball-bearing guns as presents. It was only the other day that a group of 12 year olds in my area, who go to my secondary, and went to the same primary as me, went back into that primary on a bakers day and shot one of the children. They're from a group of wealthy, materialistic, self-centred families who already practically 'own' the village, e.g. building ugly houses for their teens without planning permission, riding around on quad-bikes, kids telling the locals to 'f-off' and get off 'their' land. It just makes me miserable, this stupid gain of power through intimidation. I dread to think what would happen if guns were legalised in this country.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I dread to think what would happen if guns were legalised in this country.
    they have always been legal till ten years ago ...not much happened then ...compared to now ...now they are illegal.
  • Options
    subject13 wrote:
    Wasnt that all down to Dunblaine though and the post Dunblaine parents quest to make all guns illegal in every way because of what happened?
    and what good did a knee jerk reaction ...law being passed on emotions ...actualy achieve?
    with rising gun crime i'd say it achieved diddly shit.
  • Options
    If it was legal, would you carry one?
    it is, and I will.... er wait, carry one no, but I will own several.

The world is regressing farther back towards the days where there were the rich and the poor and very little middle ground. And if they come for what's mine (whatever it might be) I intend to be ready.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    my first thought was no but if everyone else is then I'd have to.
    ...and the arms race has begun! ;)
  • Options
    most people wouldn't have the bottle to use one so there wouldn't be much point owning one.
  • Options
    most people wouldn't have the bottle to use one so there wouldn't be much point owning one.
    i would,i would use it to defend myself thats all.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    i would,i would use it to defend myself thats all.
    i know i'd use one ...came very close to it once.
  • Options
    you might be supprised how willing some people are to use guns over rather trivial things.
  • Options
    you'd be supprised how willing some people are to use guns over rather trivial things.
    yes,stupid people.i think an i.q test would also have to be a requirement before i license is issued.
  • Options
    Gun crime is high in Britain because the act of owning one is illegal!

Gun crime is low in the USA because the only crime is using it against innocents! Am I right in saying shooting someone in self defense is OK over there? I don't actually know. I hope it is. It should be.
  • Options
    you might be supprised how willing some people are to use guns over rather trivial things.
    Yeah, that's the only thing that worries me. You're bound to get idiots using them to shoot someone in a domestic argument or something, because they thought it wasn't loaded and were using it for effect. Or a kid accidentally gets hold of it and shoots someone. I think in the US, gun owners are far more likely to be shot than none gun owners.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Gun crime is low in the USA because the only crime is using it against innocents!
    Is it? I thought it was much higher than anywhere else in the western world. Or at least the number of shootings. I've heard people use Switzerland as an example of countries where gun ownership is high and crime is low though.

I'm still undecided. On the one hand, having a gun in your house isn't exactly gonna help, because petty crime has now shifted from burglary to muggings, because people carry more expensive gadgets on them now. If guns are legalised to carry, then all criminals would carry a gun (currently it just seems to be drug related criminals as far as I'm aware, and most gun crime is between rival dealers), and I reckon you'd end up with more muggings turning to manslaughters. But on the other hand, they would probably be less likely to bother mugging people in the first place.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Gun crime is high in Britain because the act of owning one is illegal!
    Ah, just got that. Are you saying the majority of "gun crime" is actually just people being prosecuted for owning the thing, not actually using it?
  • Options
    Ah, just got that. Are you saying the majority of "gun crime" is actually just people being prosecuted for owning the thing, not actually using it?
    no ...as in waving them about in your face and even ...pulling the friggin trigger mate.
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the only thing that worries me. You're bound to get idiots using them to shoot someone in a domestic argument or something, because they thought it wasn't loaded and were using it for effect. Or a kid accidentally gets hold of it and shoots someone. I think in the US, gun owners are far more likely to be shot than none gun owners.

Is it? I thought it was much higher than anywhere else in the western world. Or at least the number of shootings. I've heard people use Switzerland as an example of countries where gun ownership is high and crime is low though.

I'm still undecided. On the one hand, having a gun in your house isn't exactly gonna help, because petty crime has now shifted from burglary to muggings, because people carry more expensive gadgets on them now. If guns are legalised to carry, then all criminals would carry a gun (currently it just seems to be drug related criminals as far as I'm aware, and most gun crime is between rival dealers), and I reckon you'd end up with more muggings turning to manslaughters. But on the other hand, they would probably be less likely to bother mugging people in the first place.
    how the hell did i get quoted there?..i didnt post it.
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    how the hell did i get quoted there?..i didnt post it.
    Haha, shit sorry. Changed.
  • Options
    Haha, shit sorry. Changed.
    :D thanks
  • Options

I didn't say the majority. Just that it contributes to the higher figures.