Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Smoking room at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work in a large open plan office. Directly behind my desk is the smoking room for the whole building.

Although it has a door, I still get the sensation and smell of smoke quite often. I have asthma and I'm quite sensitive to cigarette smoke, it makes me feel sick and my chest tight.

Do I have to put up with this? Is there anything I can do? I've only been in the job for about 2 months so don't want to cause a fuss but this is really putting me off my work. :(

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Your best to speak to your boss. Just explain your asthma and ask if they can move you somewhere else. I can't see them having a problem to be honest.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote:
    Your best to speak to your boss. Just explain your asthma and ask if they can move you somewhere else. I can't see them having a problem to be honest.

Well there isn't really anywhere to move to as all the reporters have to sit on the same desk. I was hoping the anti smoking legislation covers work places and comes into place as soon as possible.
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Well there isn't really anywhere to move to as all the reporters have to sit on the same desk. I was hoping the anti smoking legislation covers work places and comes into place as soon as possible.

Smoking rooms in offices will be covered by the smoking ban that starts in summer 2007 I think. If the smoking room is in a separate enclosed space it might be just all in you're head. If not, I guess just be glad people aren't able to smoke at their desk anymore - and the smoking room will probably go before the ban starts next year anyway.
    PussyKatty wrote:

The anti-smoking legislation already applies to the workplace, and you do have rights to not be exposed to a smoky environment.

I'd definitely talk to your boss about it, if its causing a problem. They have responsibilities to you.
    I would speak to your boss. We used to have a smoking room in our building but now its gone thanks to the ban :yippe:
    If the smoking room is in a separate enclosed space it might be just all in you're head.

People need to open doors to get into a smoking room, therefore smoke escapes. Saying its in her head sounds rather rude to me.
    Tweety wrote:
    People need to open doors to get into a smoking room, therefore smoke escapes. Saying its in her head sounds rather rude to me.

Have to agree did sound rude. Even when smoke rooms have those extractors it can still escape.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    now dont quote me on this, but there is a possibility you are covered under the disability discrimination act, and therefore your employer must make alterations to your work space if your surrounding environment is effecting you. Im not 100% on that, but look it up, theres some strange ones in that statute that are classed as a disability and asthma might be one. and as Kermit says you have rights not to be subjected to a smokey environment, so i'd say for now, just mention it to your boss, and deal with all the law and rights later...good luck!
    check this website out, it will give you a clearer picture.

http://www.emplaw.co.uk/researchfree-redirector.aspx?StartPage=data%2f972u33.htm

Also, if I was bothered by the smoke, I would go to my boss and demand to be relocated at whatever cost or get them to have a look at the ventilation system in the smoking room.
    Have a discreet chat to your boss about it, I'm sure it's easily sorted.