Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

dear god I made the mistake of telling one of my friends I had gotten high

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
he's now on my case like a fucking D.A.R.E commercial hammering me constantly. I smoked some pot. that was it. I would'nt really mind his concern except not only is he force feeding me facts which I looked up on google and found to be false but hes treating me like I'm an addict whos set to throw his life away. I mean I didn't even think the stuff was all that it was cracked up to be but hes like really off the wall. any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if its that bad tell him fuck off and u dnt wanna b frends. nd if u still wanna b his frend then just say "ok i understand im sry" nd a bunch of shit like that. nd then get high again :P
    if its that bad tell him fuck off and u dnt wanna b frends. nd if u still wanna b his frend then just say "ok i understand im sry" nd a bunch of shit like that. nd then get high again :P

That really isn't the best thing is it?

Desperate_Hobo: I presume you are in the US, from the 'D.A.R.E comericial' bit. Your friends response isnt uncomon in terms of people who aren't that familiar with drugs, and to be honest with you of those who are subject to the drug information you are given over there.

Your drug advice system follows an extremely conservative ideology (this is a major generalisation but in the case of D.A.R.E in particular its true), alot of the information you are given is going to be slanted toward the 'enforcement' side of drug policy. In other words, the information from these sources will be about preventing people taking drugs by telling them the 'bad' things that could happen, whereas the 'Harm reduction approach' which is of the type you will find on this site, is focused on providing information to help people who may be using drugs prevent damage to their health as far as is possible.

If your friend keeps doing this, try not to be too defensive as this may just make him think that you are all of these bad things 'blind to your problem' so to speak. My advice would be to inform yourself, read up on what you are doing so that both you are aware of the social and medical effects of what you are doing and that you are able to reassure your friend by displaying that you are aware of the risks.

There are a few places you may want to read up;

Erowid this is a hub of research and user accounts on the effects of psychoactive substances.

Also search this site! If you cant find an answer to your question i suspect someone on here will be able to help. Take Care.
    wow what a great site! I can totally use some of these facts against him. thanks for the link
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    wow what a great site! I can totally use some of these facts against him. thanks for the link
    Look - you just need to say to him - "I have researched it and I know what I am doing. I am not going to throw my life away - stop over reacting. You should be far more worried if I took up heavy drinking."

Just tell him you enjoy it and it isn't particularly addictive or really harmful unless used in excess - like anything really. I have a freind woh has got a bit like this and I just told him to stop over reacting - just smoking pot isn't going to make me grow a £1000 cocain habit out my arse.
    I told him to stop overeacting and he said something to the effect of (this was over messenger btw)

"DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'RE DOING? YOU'RE SAYING POT IS GOOD! THAT SHIT WILL KILL YOU FASTER THEN CIGGARETTES OR ALCOHOL! YOU'VE ALREADY TRIED SO NOW ITS TO LATE FOR YOU YOU DUMBASS! YOU'RE ADDICTED! YOU'RE GOING TO WANT MORE OF IT AND MORE UNTIL YOU DIE REALLY YOUNG LIKE AT AGE 20! IT KILLS YOU! WE NEED TO GET YOU SOME HELP NOW! I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU TO THIS! ITS EVIL! YOU HAVE TO TURN YOURSELF IN BEFORE YOU DIE!"

I told him he should do some research, he said stop defending myself >_>
    I told him to stop overeacting and he said something to the effect of (this was over messenger btw)

"DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'RE DOING? YOU'RE SAYING POT IS GOOD! THAT SHIT WILL KILL YOU FASTER THEN CIGGARETTES OR ALCOHOL! YOU'VE ALREADY TRIED SO NOW ITS TO LATE FOR YOU YOU DUMBASS! YOU'RE ADDICTED! YOU'RE GOING TO WANT MORE OF IT AND MORE UNTIL YOU DIE REALLY YOUNG LIKE AT AGE 20! IT KILLS YOU! WE NEED TO GET YOU SOME HELP NOW! I DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOU TO THIS! ITS EVIL! YOU HAVE TO TURN YOURSELF IN BEFORE YOU DIE!"

I told him he should do some research, he said stop defending myself >_>

Simply say "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" every time he does it to get him to STFU.
    If he thinks Cannabis is as bad as Heroin, he's long gone. Tell him many sucessful people have used, and still do use, drugs. It isn't hard to find examples.

Your current president is one, although the legitimacy of it as an argument is probably wasted on anyone who is Anti-Bush.
    Teh_Gerbil:

Unfortunately the only way to deal with ignorance is reason, and its not really the most helpful thing just to tell him to fuck off.

Desperate_Hobo:

Alcohol and tobacco are responsible for more world wide deaths than all other illegal drugs combined x1000! This is not to say that there are not risks associated particularly with cannabis use at a young age, regular use during developmental stages (which is right up to your early twenties on current thinking).

You just calmly need to state your ideas to him, showing him that you are aware of the true psychological and physical risks would be good for you and him. Maybe wait till he's calmed down a bit.
    I have tried reasoning with these people, and all they do is rant it damages my lungs and will make me go mad.

With no proof at all. And little in the way of evidence.

I suppose you can but give him evidence, reason with him, and try to calm him down. If he refuses to read or acnowledge stuff, which, it seems he may be the kind to do (No offence meant, he just sounds like a slogan for FRANK or something, I guess DARE is the same idea?), then there is little to be done.

It isn't SG... is it?
    oh don't bring that in here :grump:
    I've found reason to fail with most morons.

I made that mistake too. I was the kid with long curly hair, that always fell asleep in class, and wore dirty band shirts every day. when i told my friend i smoked, i had a bunch of kids come up to me and ask for some bud. I hated that.
    now your situation is a little different... there really is no reasoning behind using weed... But there are certainly things a lot worse. The more you expose him to it, the less he'll be pissy about it. Every time he munches down on something be like OMGWTF DON'T EAT THOSE PRESERVATIVES THEY'LL KILL YOU FASTER THAN WEED!
    Why dont you just tell him its your life and you want to live it your way?
    I.e.the fun stoned way!! :yippe:
    And as for being addicted and dying at 20.....my uncle has smoked it everyday religiously since 14.......and hes 38 this year.(He does have ms and the stoning is for "medical" reasons :yes: )
    Seems to me your friend thinks he's acting like a good friend to you, with the facts he has/accepts and that he's trying to 'save' you from a bad fate- couldn't ask for a better friend really! Now all you need to do is inform him of his misdirected angst, educate yourself about what you're doing so you can educate him too. Once he has more reliable info than "It'll kill you" or whatever, hopefully he'll calm down.
    The simple answer is tell him to respect your decision or else he's not a friend.

Tell him to fuck off while your at it.
    id tell him to fuck away off

And the American propaganda machine claims another victim :mad:
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    It isn't SG... is it?

:lol: :thumb:
    And the American propaganda machine claims another victim

Amen to that :banghead:
  • JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    katralla wrote:
    Seems to me your friend thinks he's acting like a good friend to you, with the facts he has/accepts and that he's trying to 'save' you from a bad fate- couldn't ask for a better friend really! Now all you need to do is inform him of his misdirected angst, educate yourself about what you're doing so you can educate him too. Once he has more reliable info than "It'll kill you" or whatever, hopefully he'll calm down.

Very well said Katralla. :yes:
    Desperate_Hobo, you may have seen this article in the drugs section of theSite, bus just in case you haven't it is well worth a look - Communicating about taking drugs.
    Given you are using a new substance you should be educating yourself about its risks and actions. So do that and then try and have as reasonable talk with your mate as you can.

It is difficult though, I've tried with people before and some dont want to listen.
    bongbudda wrote:
    It is difficult though, I've tried with people before and some dont want to listen.
    I find this to be true quite a bit on this subject. You prevent the facts but they still refuse to believe.
    well I've got him to calm down he's not screaming anymore but now I get this huge sense that my friends are looking down on me as though I've let them down somehow. wtf? :confused:
    well I've got him to calm down he's not screaming anymore but now I get this huge sense that my friends are looking down on me as though I've let them down somehow. wtf? :confused:

As has been said, he does actually seem to care about your well being, he's just ignorant of the facts so is scared.

Release (www.release.org.uk) have a good page on cannabis which sets out the basic facts well. Personally I wouldn't go to www.erowid.org unless you have learnt a bit elsewhere, there is a massive amount of data on there, not all of it useful.

Explain what you are doing and what the truth is and hopefully he'll come round.
    VinylVicky wrote:
    I find this to be true quite a bit on this subject. You prevent the facts but they still refuse to believe.

Indeed. There are just some people I know who I totally hide my habits from.

You'll be talking about a party or a night out and you'll say I was really drunk or hammered, when in reality you were clean off your nuts on class A's :p .
    he's now on my case like a fucking D.A.R.E commercial hammering me constantly. I smoked some pot. that was it. I would'nt really mind his concern except not only is he force feeding me facts which I looked up on google and found to be false but hes treating me like I'm an addict whos set to throw his life away. I mean I didn't even think the stuff was all that it was cracked up to be but hes like really off the wall. any advice?

Refer him to a proper drugs site with proper information.

Failing that, dose him.
    Spliffie wrote:
    Refer him to a proper drugs site with proper information.

yes ...show him how the british handle it ...www.thesite.org
    yes ...show him how the british handle it ...www.thesite.org

www.thesite.org vs www.freevibe.com

:chin:
    I'm gonna have to follow popular opinion here and also advise the "fuck off" bit for this chump in particular (no offense, as I know he is your friend). But this person has triggered the one thing I hate most about ignorant, condemning non-users; the fact that they call you an "addict" once you've tried something. Fuck that. So you buy a dime here, a g of coke there, that doesn't make you an addict with no money or future...
    This is an interesting contrast to the thread about what your family knows about your drug taking habits. On one hand some of you have been hurt or feel guilty about the lack of acceptance or amount of misunderstanding from your family about drug taking activity. Then in this thread, there is a general tone of 'if he gives you a hard time tell him to fuck off'.

We can't always do things that our family and friends are happy about, but if you are sure about what you are doing, why the hostility towards someone who challenges you on it? Surely it would be better to try and assist the people you care about to reach a level of understanding, without getting defensive yourself and alienating them.
    LadyJade wrote:
    We can't always do things that our family and friends are happy about, but if you are sure about what you are doing, why the hostility towards someone who challenges you on it? Surely it would be better to try and assist the people you care about to reach a level of understanding, without getting defensive yourself and alienating them.

Exactly, if you are sure what you are doing isnt going to lead to problems then explain yourself.

Having said that its not always as easy as that with some people.