Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scientology

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    with respect, if you think that then you know precious little about Islam.
    I don't know man, Islam is pretty stupid...
    What an amazing display of sensitivity. It's no wonder the Islamic world can't stand the USA.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What an amazing display of sensitivity. It's no wonder the Islamic world can't stand the USA.
    go cry me a river.

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go eat my cheeseburger and watch FOXNEWS. :rolleyes:
    Why is it that all the names in the credits for the South Park episode about scientology are John and Jane Smith?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    So is all organised religion.

But don't single out Islam, the Trolls will be back.
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    So is all organised religion.

But don't single out Islam, the Trolls will be back.
    I wasn't the one that singled out Islam, that was simply the religion that was under discussion. I shouldn't have to make some all-encompassing statement just to make sure I'm being "sensitive" enough to not offend anyone. And I happen to take particular pleasure in waving an ol' glory in the face of people who think I should.

But yeah, speaking from a stance of reason, praying to an imaginary friend of any kind is pretty stupid. But lets face it, our lives aren't ruled by reason alone and there certainly is a time and place for faith.
    Why is it that all the names in the credits for the South Park episode about scientology are John and Jane Smith?

to infer they expected to be facing legal action because of this show

scientologist tend to use copyright laws to persuade search engines to remove sites they dont like, the same copyright laws they use to make money
    Moonrat:

Islam according to the Koran and the Haddith are philosophies which are in essence decentralised and exist as ideas with varying forms of practice.

Scientology is a centralised, copyrighted, hierachically organised and litigiously guarded organisation.

The corrolation between Xanu in Scientology and the idea of Allah, is not direct because Allah is the ultimate truth, sublime and absolute. The story of scientology is an event WITHIN causality, something which happened before leading to the world as we know it.

But thats just at the macrocosmic level, in terms of the individual ideas of Islam, those philosophies may reflect societal organisation and norms practiced over millenia. For example, where Muslisms are encouraged to explore the world around them and understand it (a uniquely explicit assertion among the three 'peoples of the book') through the natural sciences etc, scientology professes to have 'the answers' predefined, through a series of copyrighted materials (as the americans say) 'priced to own'.

I myself am not religious in any way, shape or form, but I cannot find intellectually satisfing reasons for denying the existence of God, just as i see no proof. I am forced therefore into an Agnostic position.

Read the other post I put up, everybody's perception of reality would be considered crazy by the next person. People who follow Scientology believe that it is just and true, else they wouldn't be putting their energy in to it.

The majority of religions have rules to follow and restrict growth in one way or another whether it is emotional, the way we dress, sexual repression, trying to stop us from having relationships with the same sex, control of women and so on... The very concept of 'sin' or doing bad in my opinion is used to control people.

However I cannot speak for Hinduism or Jainism or the far Eastern religions, I know Buddhism does not have a concept of sin or heirarchy in general, but even Buddhism has karma and behaving in certain ways can stunt your growth to enlightenment.

For the record, I'm a Pantheist.
    I did read your post. And I dont disgree with your ideas concerning the repression of sexuality for example.

Islam is not the issue, it is how it is practiced.
    Jim V, Scientolgy have a penchant for taking legal action way more then Tom Cruise does! But point taken about his whole "don't call me one of those" issues!

As for Scientology...Briggi, Briggi, that quote about psychiatry been a "pseudo-science" and people not knowing its history and him knowing all about it. Was that from his Freak out on NBC? The one where he turned to the interviewer and called him Bob when his name was James? Was awesome freak out!
    subject13 wrote:
    Jim V, Scientolgy have a penchant for taking legal action way more then Tom Cruise does! But point taken about his whole "don't call me one of those" issues!

As for Scientology...Briggi, Briggi, that quote about psychiatry been a "pseudo-science" and people not knowing its history and him knowing all about it. Was that from his Freak out on NBC? The one where he turned to the interviewer and called him Bob when his name was James? Was awesome freak out!

Tom Thumb is more concerned with quashing the other rumours, I believe... :razz:

That quote is from The Today Show, I think...don't know if it's on NBC. Probably. He was damn rude and constantly interrupted to condescend about his all-encompassing knowledge of psychiatry and post-natal depression (stupid women, it doesn't exist dontcha know? -- take some vitamins). That interview.

Some other gems
    Read the other post I put up, everybody's perception of reality would be considered crazy by the next person. People who follow Scientology believe that it is just and true, else they wouldn't be putting their energy in to it.

The majority of religions have rules to follow and restrict growth in one way or another whether it is emotional, the way we dress, sexual repression, trying to stop us from having relationships with the same sex, control of women and so on... The very concept of 'sin' or doing bad in my opinion is used to control people.

However I cannot speak for Hinduism or Jainism or the far Eastern religions, I know Buddhism does not have a concept of sin or heirarchy in general, but even Buddhism has karma and behaving in certain ways can stunt your growth to enlightenment.

For the record, I'm a Pantheist.

not spending your money on an organisation, is enough reason to stunt progress?
    to infer they expected to be facing legal action because of this show

scientologist tend to use copyright laws to persuade search engines to remove sites they dont like, the same copyright laws they use to make money
    :lol: good stuff.
    The best thing about being a 'scientologist' is that in a busy, noisy nightclub, people mishear you and are impressed 'cos they think you're something clever ... ;)
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Although yes, it doesn't make as much as Catholicism. But you have to deal with Nazis to do that.

You really are a fucking moron sometimes.

Last time I checked the Pope doesn't charge you US$100,000+ to get access to the Bible and your priest.
    Kermit wrote:

Aye don't know where some people get their ideas from in regards to religious discussion.
    not spending your money on an organisation, is enough reason to stunt progress?

Rephrase?
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Kermit wrote:

Last time I checked the Pope doesn't charge you US$100,000+ to get access to the Bible and your priest.

They didn't charge the Nazis to access the bible. They just took money to let them get out and say they were reformed Christians and good people now.

Are you denying the Catholic Church makes alot of money? They DONT charge to be a Catholic. They accept large donations from people though. This is AGAINST what the Bible Says, is it not? And they all live a very good lifestyle. They SHOULD be distributing that wealth to needy people, according to the Bible.
    Rephrase?

yeh that didnt make much sense

like churchs dont charge you to pray etc

you cannot 'progress' in the scientology system without money, this is what makes it evil imo

organised religion i might dislike personally however this is cult by all standards of brainwashing etc