Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Firearms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
If it was legal, would you carry one?

Comments

• Options
    If it was legal, would you carry one?
    yes,
  • Options
    No, lest I'm tempted to use it.
  • Options
    Wellll, there are a few asses I'd like to pop a cap in... :p

But no, I wouldn't. It's asking for trouble, imo.
  • Options
    Yup.
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    No, lest I'm tempted to use it.
    i would carry one with the full intention of using it,its easy to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time nowdays.i'd like the odds to be in my favour for a change.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yup.
    How come the legality of it affects your choice?
  • Options
    How come the legality of it affects your choice?

Who said it did?
  • Options
    If everyon else is carrying I think I'd be left with little choice. I'm not sure that I want London to become like the Wild West, but if it became so I wouldn't want to be the only cowboy in town without a six-shooter.
  • Options
    The "Wild West" is hollywood myth.

Incredibly well armed people are incredibly peaceful and polite people.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Who said it did?
    So you carry a firearm now?
  • Options
    So you carry a firearm now?

Not so much these days. Used to have a shotgun in the car if I had to go to the less salubrious parts of town.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Not so much these days.
    Why not?

And would you start doing so if it were legal?
  • Options
    Yep definatly, also not sure it would be such a good thing as I would probably shot lots of people... There is so many that deserve to die it's mad...

Western time, now that was a good time...

Got a problem with a guy, both in the street, faster and better shooter win...

On top of that they had really cool clothes...
  • Options
    Why not?

Because I no longer go to areas where firearms/violence are likely to be used, nor do I any longer think that violence is an answer to any particular problem save self defence.
    And would you start doing so if it were legal?

Yup, certainly would.
  • Options
    nope.
    scarey.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    If everyon else is carrying I think I'd be left with little choice. I'm not sure that I want London to become like the Wild West, but if it became so I wouldn't want to be the only cowboy in town without a six-shooter.

Even Michael Moore in ‘Bowling for Columbine’ acknowledged that high gun ownership doesn’t in itself translate into high violent crime. As Moore pointed out in the film (which had a somewhat confused message since he was partly making a point frequently made by the NRA) – Canada and the US both have similarly high gun ownership but gun crime in Canadian cities is among the lowest in the West. And in the US itself there’s not a particularly strong correlation between low gun crime and gun control. That said – I don’t really see any merit in relaxing gun controls in Britain.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Yup, certainly would.
    I don't follow. You don't currently carry a firearm because you don't need to, neither do you believe in it, essentially. Yet you'd carry one if it were legal?

For someone who resists state control over his life, how does that make any sense? Surely you'd be carrying the gun already if laws don't affect how you behave?

Or do your principles not stretch that far? :chin:
  • Options
    Not all states are equally violent - historically the British have been some of the most violent and have taken great delight in punching each other out and hitting people over the head with whichever wooden implements come to hand.

Given ready access to firearms the British aren't going to suddenly become all pacifist, but take to shooting instead of punching each other.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust the weapon handling skills of the great British public with a pea-shooter, never mind a pistol.
  • Options
    I don't follow. You don't currently carry a firearm because you don't need to, neither do you believe in it, essentially. Yet you'd carry one if it were legal?

Oh I need a firearm at presnt, MoK. I just find it prudent not to carry one or to use violence against those I would defend myself against.
    For someone who resists state control over his life, how does that make any sense? Surely you'd be carrying the gun already if laws don't affect how you behave?

Who are the people most likely to be attacking me and my property?

Who, therefore, do I need to defend myself against?
    Or do your principles not stretch that far? :chin:

They do not extend to getting into a fight with an army, no.
  • Options
    my first thought was no but if everyone else is then I'd have to.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Not all states are equally violent - historically the British have been some of the most violent and have taken great delight in punching each other out and hitting people over the head with whichever wooden implements come to hand.

Given ready access to firearms the British aren't going to suddenly become all pacifist, but take to shooting instead of punching each other.

Anyway, I wouldn't trust the weapon handling skills of the great British public with a pea-shooter, never mind a pistol.
    i think propper training courses would be a must,before a license is given.
    i don't really think it would have an adverse effect on society though,you can get shot dead in the street quite easily these days and i think this would probably even the ballance.
  • Options
    No, I'd only lose it. Or I'd manage to set it off in my bag.

I wouldn't use one though, so it would be pointless carrying one even if everyone else carried them.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Who are the people most likely to be attacking me and my property?
    Chavs?
    They do not extend to getting into a fight with an army, no.
    So, in reality, you're just a con artist. And a tax evader hiding behind the idea that there is no such thing as the state and that you have no role in a society, 'cept of course to take the state's money as you see fit and to suit your own lifestyle.

Laughable.
  • Options
    Chavs?

The state cultists.
    So, in reality, you're just a con artist.

No. I am a person who is tricky to con.
    And a tax evader hiding behind the idea that there is no such thing as the state and that you have no role in a society

There isn't, I don't avoid, I don't owe. There is no soceity. there is no state.
    You owe me nothing.
    'cept of course to take the state's money as you see fit and to suit your own lifestyle.

I don't take the states money. What on earth are you on about?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    I don't take the states money. What on earth are you on about?
    OK, yeah, there is no state to you. But the NHS is part of the state I pay into. Not to mention all the public goods you make use of, however indirectly.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Who, therefore, do I need to defend myself against?

Then why would you carry one if it was legal if you don't carry one now?
  • Options
    OK, yeah, there is no state to you

Yay! Theres none for you either.
    But the NHS is part of the state I pay into.

You don't pay anything. Everything you have has been stolen from someone else. The idea of taxing public sector workers is laughable.
    Not to mention all the public goods you make use of, however indirectly.

:confused:

What would those be?
  • Options
    Then why would you carry one if it was legal if you don't carry one now?

Because the main reason for having an armed population is to tell the state to fuck off. It's the best way of limiting government there is.
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Because the main reason for having an armed population is to tell the state to fuck off. It's the best way of limiting government there is.

So why wait until it was legal? Surely your views would carry more weight if you did it now?
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    So why wait until it was legal? Surely your views would carry more weight if you did it now?

No, because it's illegal they just kill you and it's fair enough because you shouldn't have been armed. Also these circumstances we are discussing are highly, highly unlikely, despite the crap the media churns out.

I could walk around armed and it's meaningless because no one expects it, so I am still just as likely to get some idiot try to mug me. In an armed situation, any mugger is going to think long and hard about his chosen profesion due to the risk factor.

This is why I say that the government are the people most likely to do you harm. They are.

The fact that people are disarmed isn't an accident.