Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

lazy frogs..

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'd say unions are as necessary as ever, if not more so.

Look at working rights and conditions in countries where there are no unions or they have no power or influence.
    i agree with this but ...in the seventies the unions lost the plot.
    if a paint sprayer was seen using a screw driver ...they gowned tools and walked out.
    it got realy silly.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Look at working rights and conditions in countries where there are no unions or they have no power or influence.

For most industries in Britain trade unions have no power and no influence. I don't think that's a problem. Things for the most part are pretty good, overall working rights and conditions aren't bad at all.
  • Options
    They are better than they have ever been before of course, but there needs to be a balance of forces. If unions did not exist or if they have no power whatsoever then employees would start to be worse off, and they would lose more benefits and rights as times goes by.

Too strong unions can have a negative effect of course, just as the lack of them would. Just as the concept of different political parties winning office/being in opposition offer a kind of balance, so businesses are unions should strike the right balance between a productive industry and fair conditions for workers.

Or so the theory goes anyway ;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    They are better than they have ever been before of course, but there needs to be a balance of forces. If unions did not exist or if they have no power whatsoever then employees would start to be worse off, and they would lose more benefits and rights as times goes by.

Too strong unions can have a negative effect of course, just as the lack of them would. Just as the concept of different political parties winning office/being in opposition offer a kind of balance, so businesses are unions should strike the right balance between a productive industry and fair conditions for workers.

Or so the theory goes anyway ;)

I wouldn't disagree with that
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    For all those people who are anti-union and anti-strike - how do you think improvements in workers rights, wages and conditions come about? A gift from the pixies? A gift from benevolent bosses? or something else?

The only issue is with France they have a bloated uncompetitive economy due to such a powerful workers unions. In the future, when either the country goes bust a la argentina, or enters a period of stagflation a la margaret thatcher, people are going to lose out. I think having a balance between worker rights and remaining competitive is important. Normally I'm pro capitalist, but had to give a presentation today at a globalisation debate from the point of view of the trade union. Now im quite sympathetic. Though we didn't win, I did get a special mention :)
  • Options
    Kentish wrote:
    I'm trying to understand your needless aggression.

What agression?
    Kentish wrote:
    Bov is short for bothered. As in 'Am I bovered?'.

Oh
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Yep partially unions, partially companies recognising that well paid and motivated workers are better, partly because supply and demand meant that companies had to increase and improve conditions to get and keep their workers.

I think you really need to read some history.
    NQA wrote:
    As a counter question - how do you think these companies to employ them came about in the first place?

• Options
    Blaggs world view takes in a very tiny percentage of the population when it comes to the uk.

I dunno bout percentage wise, but an awful lot of people live on shitty housing estates, went to shitty schools and work in shitty jobs. Been to London (or indeed any big city) lately?
  • Options
    dont forget your gini coefficients blagsta ;)
  • Options
    would have been nice to get a word in....but there ye go.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:

I've read plenty of history, thanks...

But do you want to say why you disagree, perhaps try and put forward an argument why I'm wrong. You never know we may both learn something...
  • Options
    Bumped to say Hooray! :thumb:
  • Options
    Great news I agree.

The sooner one state goes bankrupt, the sooner they all do. This will help bury france just that tad bit faster.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Bumped to say Hooray! :thumb:

Agree - we're having awful trouble recruiting decent cleaners for our office, so a new flood of unemployed French coming across looking for jobs is good news all round.
  • Options
    That's what employers would have us believe anyway.

They have a tendency to make predictions of catastrophic consequences whenever a proposal is made they don't approve of.

Needless to say such predictions always turn out to be rubbish.
  • Options

I suggest you wait a while.

Governments regulations always crash the economy, just as any parasite which feeds too much off it's host kills it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

They have a tendency to make predictions of catastrophic consequences whenever a proposal is made they don't approve of.

So every 'pro-worker' law has always been beneficial has it?

What is you proposal to reduce unemployment in France?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

Governments regulations always crash the economy,

and this view is of course equally ridiculous...........
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:

Is that a predicition in itself. Its also a fault of the unions and the left as well, if all the predicitions made by her opponents during Thatcher's time had come true we'd be living in a country with the same freedoms as Stalinist Russia and an economy somewhere below Zimbabwe.

I don't think France is going to suddenly collapse this time next Tuesday, but unless they do reform they'll find themselves falling further and further behind their neighbours in terms of living standards, with rising unemployment and without getting the resources to pay for it.

Sooner or later France is will have to do something about it and the sooner they do it the less painful it will be and the more of their social model they'll be able to keep. They're probably at the stage of Heath right now, and like the UK in the 1970's needed reform has been dropped because of the fear a democratic Government has over undemocratic ractionary forces. In the long term France will almost certainly get its Thatcher, but it will be more painful than it could have been.

But, look on the bright side, Starbucks is booming in the UK and always needs new staff...
  • Options
    and this view is of course equally ridiculous...........

Not at all.

Because unlike those in the markets, there is no way to refuse the "product" of regulation. So the providing of them increases year on year until the arteries of trade are clogged up, the state collapses economically and the whole thing starts again from near enough scratch -

The only way out of such a mess for a state is war, revolution, see weimar republic, USA these days, or any other dead empire.
  • Options
    France will probably have its Thatcher once the next presidential Elections come about and Chirac is out, and his hand picked successor the current Prime Minister fails to gain any support.

Personally it would be unsurprising to have a military coup take place and a twat in the mould of de'Gaul stepping into the breach.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote:
    So every 'pro-worker' law has always been beneficial has it?

What is you proposal to reduce unemployment in France?
    Most of them have, yes. Protesters in France are not asking for anything unreasonable. They deserve 100% support.

If France has problems with its economy and employment the solution should not be creating temporary, low paid, dead end jobs. That helps nobody in the long term (or even in the short one).
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Is that a predicition in itself. Its also a fault of the unions and the left as well, if all the predicitions made by her opponents during Thatcher's time had come true we'd be living in a country with the same freedoms as Stalinist Russia and an economy somewhere below Zimbabwe.

I don't think France is going to suddenly collapse this time next Tuesday, but unless they do reform they'll find themselves falling further and further behind their neighbours in terms of living standards, with rising unemployment and without getting the resources to pay for it.
    The solution is not to create McJobs. That will probably make things worse for the economy and the country at large, no better.
    Sooner or later France is will have to do something about it and the sooner they do it the less painful it will be and the more of their social model they'll be able to keep. They're probably at the stage of Heath right now, and like the UK in the 1970's needed reform has been dropped because of the fear a democratic Government has over undemocratic ractionary forces. In the long term France will almost certainly get its Thatcher, but it will be more painful than it could have been.

But, look on the bright side, Starbucks is booming in the UK and always needs new staff...
    Do they? I would have thought they would have millions of unemployed people to choose from here... all those who were going to find themselves out of a job after the goverment recklessly ignored business leaders who warned it about the dangers of the minimum wage.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Most of them have, yes. Protesters in France are not asking for anything unreasonable. They deserve 100% support.

If France has problems with its economy and employment the solution should not be creating temporary, low paid, dead end jobs. That helps nobody in the long term (or even in the short one).

From the BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4816306.stm
    The CPE is a new work contract for under-26s with a two-year trial period. In that period, employers can terminate the contract without having to offer an explanation.

The CPE says that after the first month employers have to give two weeks' notice for severance of contract, and after six months the notice period is extended to one month.

For other employees, the trial period is usually only one to three months.

After the two-year trial period for under-26s, the CPE reverts to a standard full-time contract.

Its hardly a temping, dead end job given that after six months you have to be given month's notice.

And perhaps even temping is better than being long term unemployed with no prospects. Temping has a chance of being turned into permanent and it builds up skills.

I know plenty of people in the Civil Service who started as temps, built up their skills and then got permanent jobs. My sister started off temping in a private firm, was made permanent and is now on a bloody good wage.

And whilst the French economy does need more than this to jump start it and get people into employment an important lesson we've learned from this is that neither the Government nor the unions are willing to actually do anything about it.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    The solution is not to create McJobs. That will probably make things worse for the economy and the country at large, no better.

But this law isn't about creating 'McJobs' - its about helping small employers take on extra staff and recognising one of the reasons they don't is the risk that they get crap people or business has a downturn and that they can't get rid of them. And to be honest a crap job is better than no job at all...
    Do they? I would have thought they would have millions of unemployed people to choose from here... all those who were going to find themselves out of a job after the goverment recklessly ignored business leaders who warned it about the dangers of the minimum wage

What's the minumum wage got to do with anything. Many businesses weren't neccessarily against the minimum wage, they just wanted to make sure Government set it at a level where it was affordable.

Minimum wages only count if you're in employment, so if you're unemployed and employment laws make it harder for you to get a job, they're fuck all use, but being cynical I suppose that union dues only come from people in employment, so the unemployed are something unions don't give a fuck about either.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    From the BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4816306.stm

Its hardly a temping, dead end job given that after six months you have to be given month's notice.

And perhaps even temping is better than being long term unemployed with no prospects. Temping has a chance of being turned into permanent and it builds up skills.

I know plenty of people in the Civil Service who started as temps, built up their skills and then got permanent jobs. My sister started off temping in a private firm, was made permanent and is now on a bloody good wage.

And whilst the French economy does need more than this to jump start it and get people into employment an important lesson we've learned from this is that neither the Government nor the unions are willing to actually do anything about it.
    You see, there was a similar policy introduced in Spain a decade ago. You could only keep employees on short contracts for a certain period, after which you have to offer them indefinite contracts with decent benefits and rights.

What happened for countless workers is that they were employed on the short, 'no thrills' contracts for the maximum time the law allowed, upon which their bosses gave them the boot regardless of how good they might have been to avoid having to offer them better terms and benefits. As a result many people found themselves unable to find a stable, secure and decently paid job.

Perhaps many French folks felt this proposed law was going to create the same conditions for them. If so, who could blame them for resisting it?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    What's the minumum wage got to do with anything. Many businesses weren't neccessarily against the minimum wage, they just wanted to make sure Government set it at a level where it was affordable.
    I mentioned the minimum wage to illustrate the fact that we should take forecasts and predicitons from business leaders with a pinch of salt. I didn't believe British bussiness leaders when they claimed the minimum wage was going to create millions of new cases of unemployment (as indeed it didn't), and I didn't believe French ones when they claimed this law was going to create countless jobs and rescue the economy, and that if France didn't go through with it things would get worse and worse.

Bosses only want to pay the minimum amount possible to employees, and they will claim anything to push their agenda.
  • Options
    You mention "mcjobs" and those labour laws without talking about the underlying causes of firms creating more "mcjobs".

High tax rates and the transfer payments that goes with them puts cash in people's hands for immediate consumption so firms will hire people on short term contracts to satisfy demand when it is there. This serves to stifle the creation of "macjobs" as firms aren't willing to invest when they are taxed heavily meaning less "macjobs" are created in favour of "mcjobs"
    and I didn't believe French ones when they claimed this law was going to create countless jobs and rescue the economy, and that if France didn't go through with it things would get worse and worse.

That wasn't claimed though. It was just the start of the reform the french labour market needs and the extreme opposiiton to such a minor piece of reform highlights the problems the French are going to face.
  • Options
    No matter what i say i can not get involved in any of this post, everyone is too involved with one another to notice little old me...
  • Options
    NQA wrote:

what the fuck are you on about?