Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

god save the queen.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
something on tv earlier reminded me ...when i was a kid the telly actualy finnished and went blank every night.
at the end would be ...the national anthem.
everyone in the house would stand up!
can you imagine that?
when i became a teenage hippy we refused to stand ...you can't imagine what rebels we felt!
how times have changed.

Comments

• Options
    heh, reminds me of something..wonder if anyone else gets it..

"go to bed spotty!"
  • Options
    how times have changed.

And will continue to. When I'm your age I'll be saying similar things probably! Or maybe this is the peak and the whole thing will be reversed? :chin:
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    And will continue to. When I'm your age I'll be saying similar things probably! Or maybe this is the peak and the whole thing will be reversed? :chin:
    things do have a habbit of turing full circle,look at music for instance.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    turlough wrote:

The stories we will tell our children eh! This generation will have a very different future, you can see it changing now! How different it is going to be eh? We'll talk of Petrol Cars, Jet Planes, and the sorts. How we all went out drinknig and got high, and of Ideologies in Politics! Tanks and Guns! Coal Powerplants!

It's going to be odd when all this goes away.

On the TV note... why does BBC2 have that awful screech on Cefax at night? Is it so drunks can notice that the TV is on, and to wake them up when they doze off?
  • Options
    god save the queen

"....the fascist regiem...."

That was a good song.

We have the pledge of allegiance every Friday in school ("I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...."), you can stand if you choose or just sit. Hardly anyone ever stands. Good thing too, the stupid thing is unpatriotic, honestly who pledges allegiance to a flag?
  • Options
    the young ones of course :)
  • Options
    "....the fascist regiem...."

That was a good song.

We have the pledge of allegiance every Friday in school ("I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America...."), you can stand if you choose or just sit. Hardly anyone ever stands. Good thing too, the stupid thing is unpatriotic, honestly who pledges allegiance to a flag?
    I've never really understood, and always been particularly wary of that. I'm not sure why, but it just seems like it's...mandatory, and you'd get some sort of..stigma if you didn't, y'know on your criminal record or something.
    Obviously it's nothing of the sort, but it's something i'd associate more with a middle eastern dictatorship than a free country.

Still, i do love our national anthem, though i'd like England to have their own..perhaps Jerusalem. I love that bloody song / poem.
  • Options
    I've never really understood, and always been particularly wary of that. I'm not sure why, but it just seems like it's...mandatory, and you'd get some sort of..stigma if you didn't, y'know on your criminal record or something.
    Obviously it's nothing of the sort, but it's something i'd associate more with a middle eastern dictatorship than a free country.
    yeah, and I'm sure it might have a bit of stigma attatched not to stand for the pledge in some areas of the country. Certainly not a crimial record type though. Around where I live people usualy give you a weird look if you do stand for it.

and God Save the Queen is a pretty catchy tune.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Britsih National Anthem SO should have been Rule Britania. So much better.
  • Options
    didnt the tv go off for a period of time to put the kids to bed?
  • Options
    I remember when the tv went off at night! And they played the national anthem, only we didn't stand for it, we just turned the telly off. I only ever saw that when staying at my nan's. :D

Also I remember when there was no breakfast tv, it used to come on at about 9 a.m. and after a brief news bulletin the only thing on, on weekdays, was schools programmes until midday. There were kids programmes on at lunchtime for half an hour and an hour and a half in the afternoon, that was it. If you were off school sick you had to watch schools programmes and the stuff your mum watched in the afternoon, like The Sullivans and Crown Court.

TV on Sundays consisted of religious programmes, farming programmes and a black and white film.
  • Options
    I hate to think what a similar thread would be in 40 odd years ....

I remember when I was young we'd approach random strangers and while a friend filmed it on his video mobile I'd slap the shit out of him. Sometimes beating him to death. Happy slapping we called it. Oh, what days! We thought we were such rebels...
  • Options
    I think "god save himself"... is a more appropriate saying those days...
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    The Britsih National Anthem SO should have been Rule Britania. So much better.
    :yes: Its far superior.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    I hate to think what a similar thread would be in 40 odd years ....

it would probably go along the lines of ...see all this wreckage ...thiswas a great city called london. we had electricity in every home ...not just the military bases.
    we had taps that hot and cold water xcame from ...huge shops with food from all over the world but alas ...we couldn't sustain it ...now we have nothing ...
  • Options
    it would probably go along the lines of ...see all this wreckage ...thiswas a great city called london. we had electricity in every home ...not just the military bases.
    we had taps that hot and cold water xcame from ...huge shops with food from all over the world but alas ...we couldn't sustain it ...now we have nothing ...
    thats a rather depressing outlook,i hope your wrong.
  • Options

Doubt it...we'll have found a new energy source by then and things will relatively be the same, only more technologized and more authoritarian/or if not that, people more willing to be controlled!
  • Options
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,,1742894,00.html 'Where we're headed '...an article from the guardian.
    "Urban poverty is one of the biggest stories happening on the planet," Bendiksen says, "but it gets ignored because it happens slowly, inexorably. Life as it's lived in Kibera will soon be the most normal way to live on earth."

Gareth McLean
    Saturday April 1, 2006

it is of course more comfortable to ignore all the signs.
    to have faith and hope in your god can be very comforting.
    but if your god is science and technology ...i fear you will be let down badly.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    savequeen.jpg
  • Options
    I remember when BBC 1 went off of a night and the national anthem came on, and I'm only 16.