Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Engagement At A Young Age

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I feel quite strongly about this and was wondering about other peoples opinions.

For example a friend of mine has recently got engaged. He is 17 and she is 16, and they have been together barely 5 months.

This i think is so stupid. He couldnt afford to buy her a ring and they haven't been together long at all, practically still in the 'hooneymoon period' anything could happen in the next year which would change how they feel dramatically.

I think it's such an immature thing to do at such a young age and is a huge commitment, they are going to want to experience so much more in life, is it just me who thinks this or do you agree?

Comments

• Options
    I think it depends on the situation to be honest. I got engaged at 18, I personally feel that I've had all the experience that I'm going to want. Why do you consider it immature?
  • Options
    I think it depends on the situation to be honest. I got engaged at 18, I personally feel that I've had all the experience that I'm going to want. Why do you consider it immature?

I think 18 is fine, your old enough to legally get married and have most likely been with your boyfriend a considerably long time. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

I see it as immature as the girl daren't even tell her parents and they haven't been together long, i suppose immature was the wrong word to use but i just don't think it was the right time and why the huge rush, why not do it all properly at a later date.

16 is still young when you have your whole life ahead of you, you've just reached the legal age of consent and have just got engaged.
  • Options
    Was having a discussion with a friend of mine about this last year I think it was. Personally, it's not something I agree with.

Being engaged after 5 months? Don't agree with this either. It's not as if they know each other really all that well, do they?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Was having a discussion with a friend of mine about this last year I think it was. Personally, it's not something I agree with.

Being engaged after 5 months? Don't agree with this either. It's not as if they know each other really all that well, do they?

I know, but his reply was they have 5 years of friendship between them, but i said a relationship and a friendship are two totally separate things, a relationship needs commitment, love, negotiation etc you could go on but at the end of the day it's different. After saying that he got all defensive, but it's something i don't agree with. I personally at such a young age wouldnt do that.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    It seems kind of the chavvy cool thing to do nowadays rather than something serious. Rather makes a mockery of stuff.
  • Options
    JsT wrote:
    It seems kind of the chavvy cool thing to do nowadays rather than something serious. Rather makes a mockery of stuff.

Yeah, i know this sounds horrible but in a way i look down a little on young people that do that, but yes it is becoming more popular, 2 other people i know have done the same at the same age as mentioned above.
    Like you said it's like the cool thing to do and it's like something is trying to be proved by doing it.
  • Options
    Some people get engage and marry years later or just don't get married or broke-up... Engagement is not marriage...

It's just mean he is serious about the relantionship and want t let her now...

And btw why does it matter he can not afford a ring, I think there is nothing more stupid that associate love and material...
  • Options
    Some people get engage and marry years later or just don't get married or broke-up... Engagement is not marriage...

It's just mean he is serious about the relantionship and want t let her now...

And btw why does it matter he can not afford a ring, I think there is nothing more stupid that associate love and material...

I just think it would be more speical to propose with a ring and surprise her rather than at a later date buy a ring and do it all over again and it not be such a surprise as she'd know it's coming, that was all.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    I just think it would be more speical to propose with a ring and surprise her rather than at a later date buy a ring and do it all over again and it not be such a surprise as she'd know it's coming, that was all.

:chin: I see your point...
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    I think 18 is fine, your old enough to legally get married and have most likely been with your boyfriend a considerably long time. I don't see anything wrong with that at all.

16 is still young when you have your whole life ahead of you, you've just reached the legal age of consent and have just got engaged.

so you think 18 is fine but 16/17 is ridiculously young? 16/17 is legally old enough to get married too.

its not something i would personally do but why are you getting so wound up about it? its not really anything to do with you whether your friend gets engaged or not. makes you sound a tad jealous imho.
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    so you think 18 is fine but 16/17 is ridiculously young? 16/17 is legally old enough to get married too.

its not something i would personally do but why are you getting so wound up about it? its not really anything to do with you whether your friend gets engaged or not. makes you sound a tad jealous imho.

Only legal with parents consent. I just see no point, i'm not jealous at all, i am very happy with my boyfriend right now and even though i would love to marry him at some point (whether that'l happen at is a different story) but if so right now i would say no.
    I was only seeing what others views were that was all.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    Only legal with parents consent. I just see no point, i'm not jealous at all, i am very happy with my boyfriend right now and even though i would love to marry him at some point (whether that'l happen at is a different story) but if so right now i would say no.
    I was only seeing what others views were that was all.

getting engaged is just their way of saying that they want to get married, some people get engaged much older and end up not getting married, or get engaged after very short periods of time together. im not saying i dont agree with what you are saying, im just saying i dont think its anything to get on your high horse about.
  • Options
    i got engaged to my ex at this age, i didnt tell my parents and a few months after down the line, i told him i didnt want to be engaged so young and that i wanted to wait till i was older and do it all properly. He was a bit disappointed at first but then when he thought about it, he agreed and as it worked out, although we were together for four years, the relationship didnt work out.

if i was you, i would give your friend some space to make her own decision. im sure she will work out what it is she really wants, even if in the end that does mean being engaged.
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    i got engaged to my ex at this age, i didnt tell my parents and a few months after down the line, i told him i didnt want to be engaged so young and that i wanted to wait till i was older and do it all properly. He was a bit disappointed at first but then when he thought about it, he agreed and as it worked out, although we were together for four years, the relationship didnt work out.

if i was you, i would give your friend some space to make her own decision. im sure she will work out what it is she really wants, even if in the end that does mean being engaged.

It was the guy who i was on about, i just referred to him as a friend, i used to go to school with him but not anymore he isn't a good friend as such.

I'm not on my high horse about it, it's just one of those things, you never know maybe it will work out, i just think it was too soon.
  • Options
    I'm 15, and my bf's 17, and we've been together 16 months. In a way, I'd like to do something with him that would enhance the bond between us, and show others, particularly rival girls, that our relationship is proper serious. However, I wouldn't get engaged. But then again, I have a strange view on marriage - I don't see it as a necessity.

I think it would be great if there was something between just 'going out' and engagement, that young people could participate in. But then again, if shes sure hes the one, then its up to her.
  • Options
    I got proposed to at 16, got caught up in the moment and said yes. His mum went out and bought me bridal magazines and told me that I'd be part of their family. Pretty scary. I viewed it as 'going steady' a further commitment rather then I'm going to marry this geezer.

Generally, I think it's all down to personal choice. I see a lot of young couples getting engaged and I do wonder what is the point but it's a nice thought while it's there and it does no harm.
  • Options
    I'm engaged at 16. my girl's 17 :D
    We have rings and all that.. we won't get married until like 20's.. but it's something for now i guess. I've been with her for almost 3 years though, so thats a little different than 5 months..
  • Options
    When you meet someone you want to know forever, you may well know that after 5 months... I do think 16 is too young, but they're not doing anything 'wrong' and if it isn't going to work out, the worst that'll happen is they break off the engagement- no harm done.
  • Options
    i sort of agree with the OP though, i know relationships at that age do last etc etc, but still it's the very last thing i'd imagine wanting, you simply haven't experienced enough of life. What if one wants to move away, go to uni etc? What happens when they hit 18 and want to goto pubs and clubs...as a married couple...nah...

can't see it myself.
  • Options
    I reckon they won't get married and if they do it won't be for a long while and that's a good thing. Be happy for them.
  • Options
    When I was at school there were always girls getting "engaged" to utter losers who they'd been going out with for three minutes. It was almost a status thing, though obviously that's not always the case. An earlier poster said they wanted to get engaged in part to ward off rival girls, which I think was part of this mentality...like proving ownership. That's not for me, at all. Fair fucks to anyone who wants to get engaged though, for whatever reason - as Vicky said, just be happy for them. :)

I know a lot of my parents' friends/friends' parents got married when they were around 16/17 - having been together from their early teens - but I'm going to have to whip out the "that was then, this is now" card. I think the motivation behind it these days is disingenuous more often than not.

Obviously not always the case...
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    When you meet someone you want to know forever, you may well know that after 5 months... I do think 16 is too young, but they're not doing anything 'wrong' and if it isn't going to work out, the worst that'll happen is they break off the engagement- no harm done.
    exactly. I think its sweet. Its just telling each other how much they love each other.

As long as they dont actually go and get married. That would be silly.
  • Options
    I was engaged when I was 18. :banghead: Even at the time I thought it was kind of stupid but I was sort of caught up in the moment when I was asked. Didn't tell half the family/friends. Broke up 18 months later.

Usually it's stupid to get engaged at a young age yes, but not always.
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    I was engaged when I was 18. :banghead: Even at the time I thought it was kind of stupid but I was sort of caught up in the moment when I was asked. Didn't tell half the family/friends. Broke up 18 months later.

Usually it's stupid to get engaged at a young age yes, but not always.

Why is it so stupid.... engagement != marriage...
  • Options
    Why is it so stupid.... engagement != marriage...

Would you really want to be married at a young age though? Or would you rather wait until your early 20s to get married?

There's a couple I know who are engaged; according to one of the teachers, she claims that she'd never go out with the person she's engaged to. :confused:

I've had at least 2 different people ask me to marry them in the last year or so - it was always 'Will you go out with me?' 'No', Will you have sex with me?' 'No', Will you marry me?' 'No' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Would you really want to be married at a young age though? Or would you rather wait until your early 20s to get married?

There's a couple I know who are engaged; according to one of the teachers, she claims that she'd never go out with the person she's engaged to. :confused:

I've had at least 2 different people ask me to marry them in the last year or so - it was always 'Will you go out with me?' 'No', Will you have sex with me?' 'No', Will you marry me?' 'No' :rolleyes:

Yeah but engagement doesn't mean you are going to get married within months, it just show a commitment, some people get engaged and get married years later... I was engaged to my ex at 18 and married her at 21...
  • Options
    Yeah but engagement doesn't mean you are going to get married within months, it just show a commitment, some people get engaged and get married years later... I was engaged to my ex at 18 and married her at 21...

Are you not together now then seems as you said your ex?

It seems that many that get engaged at such a young age, long term it doesn't work out.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    Are you not together now then seems as you said your ex?

It seems that many that get engaged at such a young age, long term it doesn't work out.

Yeah if I said my ex it is obvious that I am not with her anymore...

It doesn't mean anything, people get divorce more and more often...

My uncle has been married for more than 25 years to his wife and they were tohgether since they were 15... My grand parents more than 40 years of marriage and they have been together since they were 17... And there is many more like that...

Also a friend of mine got married at 24 after being with the girl for more 7 years and they got divorce after not even a year of marriage... And plenty of people who get engaged in their 20s get divorce too...

Nothing guarantee you anything in life... It have noting to do with age...
  • Options
    If I were to get engaged to someone, it would be with a view to start planning my wedding and to get married in a couple of years. In my view, getting engaged is making an engagement to be married sometime in the near future. It is not an additional sign of commitment if you have no intention to get married in the next 5+ years and wouldn't actually be willing to marry the person at the current time.

From my own personal experience, people who get engaged very young/when they have been with their partner less than, say, a year, tend to do so because one or both partners are very insecure in the relationship, and seem to think that having a ring on their finger is going to improve matters. In my opinion, it isn't necessary to get engaged to prove your love and dedication to your partner, either to other people or to yourselves, because it is something you should both already know and be sure of.

I'm sure there are situations where younger people get engaged for different reasons and it does work out, but as I say in my personal experience these relationships often don't last because the engagement takes place to gloss over other problems in the relationship.
  • Options
    Thats what it would be for you.
    Thats great.

You have to let other people make their own mistakes. My friends are always doing stupid things. I really dont get this mindset of thinking you have to solve all your friends problems. If my friends started doing that to me every time i did something impulsive or that they wouldnt do, tbh id just stop telling them stuff.
    Its patronising.