Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Why private firms cant enforce 'policing' duties...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/4890572.stm

the roads are a public highway in 99.9% of cases. if you stop and its private, or even if its not but its restricted, then why is it private (money making) firms that have profit incentive to clamp you? The above story... of an ederly man too. I might just be a sop but I'm always more sympathetic with old people when it comes to money because they dont get a lot in the way of pensions etc.

to hear someone alledgedly snook up on him, clamped him whilst he was in the car, then gave him a fine... is ridiculous.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    People say speed cameras only make money.

Now if the "Private Police" existed, being a private firm, their sole goal would be to make money. Imagine the whole police if they revolved around profit.

Yes. Anyone who says that it would be a good idea should now realise that they would all be like cowboy clampers. But with all areas.
  • Options
    Private clampers truly are the lowest form of scum. Street muggers deserve more respect than them.
  • Options
    clampers are the very reason i should be allowed to carry and use a fire arm.
  • Options
    my dads van once got clamped in the hospital car park.the van had oxy/acetylene bottles in the back(burning gun),and he just burnt it off....propper!
    would have loved to see the clampers faces looking at bits of smoldering metal.. :D
  • Options
    DEANO MAC wrote:
    my dads van once got clamped in the hospital car park.the van had oxy/acetylene bottles in the back(burning gun),and he just burnt it off....propper!
    would have loved to see the clampers faces looking at bits of smoldering metal.. :D
    i got clamped on private land about three years ago just outside wrexham.
    i left a sign in the window saying i would be a maximum ten minutes picking up someone in a wheelchair ...i was tow doors away in mr sihngs shop ...came out and the guy jhad just fitted the clamp and ws walking away.
    i pleaded i grovelled ...he could see my daughter in the wheelchair ...he walked away.
    he didn't get far.
    i was furious. exploded.
    took the key off him and removed the clamp ...hurled it over an embankment and into the canal.
    the police turned up next day.
    not me guv ...any witnesses ...no ...well fuck off.
  • Options
    i left a sign in the window saying i would be a maximum ten minutes picking up someone in a wheelchair ...i was tow doors away in mr sihngs shop ...came out and the guy jhad just fitted the clamp and ws walking away.
    i pleaded i grovelled ...he could see my daughter in the wheelchair ...he walked away.
    he didn't get far.
    i was furious. exploded.
    took the key off him and removed the clamp ...hurled it over an embankment and into the canal.
    :thumb: ...good on ye mate!.....propper!
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    It's good to see people taking a stand againt them!

I know someone who got clamped... but it was a shit one, so he bent it off! We've never been done luckily, but if I ever get clamped... I ain't paying up! I'll find a way... I refuse to pay such people for anything, they aren't even offering a service! It is the same as saying "I've had your Television. If you don't give me £50, you don't get it back!"
  • Options
    he didn't get far.
    i was furious. exploded.
    :thumb: That's the way to do it.
  • Options
    I don't know if they have changed the law to cover this, but it used to be that if you can remove the clamp without causing damage to it (for instance by removing the wheel altogether first) and then handing it over at a police station, the clampers were powerless to do anything about it.
  • Options
    It is worth learning how to pick locks purely for the ability to remove clamps!
  • Options
    Bizzarre.

Why do you think the "real" police are any different?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Bizzarre.

Why do you think the "real" police are any different?

They dont have the profit incentive (to such a degree) and sometimes will let it go. When you're out for money to put into your own back pocket you're going to be a lot tougher, and in some cases there needs to be some leniancy.
  • Options
    They dont have the profit incentive (to such a degree) and sometimes will let it go.

:lol:
    When you're out for money to put into your own back pocket you're going to be a lot tougher, and in some cases there needs to be some leniancy.

:lol::lol:

And another thing - what makes you think this was a private firm?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:

:lol::lol:

And another thing - what makes you think this was a private firm?

cos most clampers are, arent they? :confused:

anyway, you may laugh, but at the end of the day the individual has different priorities. an example from a holiday in spain - if you parked illegally then your vehicle owuld be towed without warning. the people doing it did it on a 'bounty' basis, and they knew where the hot spots were and waited for people to park there (not just one or two) so they could tow them all and get a huge 'bounty'.

when its just someone doing a 9-5 job, they get the same wage at the end of the week regardless, and so they can use their own judgement more. i dont know if you see what im saying, but lets assume money does exist, for the purpose of debate :)
  • Options
    cos most clampers are, arent they :confused:

Of course they aren't! They obey government regulations, get their business through government monopoly controlled licences - i.e. backhanders and free holidays for councillors and corporate immunity through state law.

The profits go to private hands after the state has had it's hefty wedge and that's about as close to private enterprise these things get.
    anyway, you may laugh, but at the end of the day the individual has different priorities.

There are only individuals!
    an example from a holiday in spain - if you parked illegally then your vehicle owuld be towed without warning

Your comparing one state with another, not with private enterprise.
    when its just someone doing a 9-5 job, they get the same wage at the end of the week regardless, and so they can use their own judgement more. i dont know if you see what im saying, but lets assume money does exist, for the purpose of debate :)

I agree. What you have to understand is that they are told what to do by people who DO get money in from their collections, and that there is now also no incentive to solve tricky crimes like murder, or go into troubled locations to sort problems out because they get paid the same regardless.

What do you think they do, given flat wages and a toss up between nabbing illegal parkers and wandering around to the local Hell's Angels looking for stolen goods?

The finest traditions of the police force are arresting the losers of brawls, standing out of the rain, pinching stuff from people who have already been burgaled and kicking the fuck out of people who look at them funny.

I mean, good lord, who is drawn to a job that pays flat wages and lets you violently dominate others while being more or less immune from prosecution?