Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Share your make-up and beauty tips here!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so thought we could all post out make-up and beauty secrets here. All those little things that you've learnt and think that they're useful.....share them now!!!!!

Mine are:

* Wash your make-up brushes with a mild shampoo, works so much better than water

* when rubbing in moisturiser on wobbly bits (bum, thighs, etc), after rubbing in, use a 'scratch' action on your skin with your finger tips (not with your nails). this improves circulation+helps remove fatty deposits.

Sorry if these are useless, but i couldnt think of any others.

Comments

• Options
    Face mask - crush a couple of aspirins with a little warm water and/or some of your normal facial wash/cleanser so to make a paste...then spread it over your face. Wait 10-15 minutes (or until it dries and starts to crumble off) and rinse off with warm water. Pat your face dry.

I find it excellent for refining my pores and dealing with evil blackheads... oh, definitely moisturise afterward. :thumb:
  • Options
    I don't like giving out my secret beauty tips because then everyone will look as fabulous as me! :lol: Joke.

I always rinse my hair in really really cold water after I wash n condition. It really brings out the shine.

Exfoliate your face 2/3 times a week and moisturise after each exfoliation.

I believe every girl should invest in a decent face cream with an SPF of at least 15 as it will help reduce the risk of sun damage and premature ageing. Also, wearing foundation with an SPF in, will do the same.

And finally, ALWAYS ALWAYS take your makeup off before you go to bed.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Wash my underpants once a week, whether they need it or not.
  • Options
    Is that underpants singular or plural? :p
  • Options
    Singular, of course.
  • Options
    scrape mascara brushes on the opening at the top so you don't get clumps
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

I do that but it just makes a mess and ruins the brush!
  • Options
    Use an eyelash comb. Put clear mascara on eyebrows to keep them in place. Eye drops are a necessity for me. Bright eyes go a long way to making you look fresh.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    I personally prefer to roll the mascara wand over a tissue first, that way there is less mess around the top of the tube thing.
  • Options
    buy a new mascara every 2 months - 3 months at a push even if there is loads left. After that they make your lashes look manky and clumpy.
  • Options
      Wear lip-blam/vaseline even if you dont use lipstick/gloss. Will protect you lips and stop them drying out. Rimmel waterproof mascara is a god send
  • Options
    If your lips are rather flaky massage with a soft toothbrush to remove dead skin cells.
  • Options
    I firmly believe in moisturising my face everytime I come out the shower.

It's SO soft and everyone always comments on it. :D
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

You're really not supposed to do that. Ruins the brush.
    Instead, if you take it out in circular motion slowly, it gets rid of the excess.
  • Options
    if you have bourjois eyeshadow in those round pots, wet your applicator brush/sponge before you apply it.

moisturise before you put make-up on.

make sure you take make-up off before bed!
  • Options
    My biggest beauty tip is Beauty Bible
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

I wipe my brush on a tissue.
  • Options
    experiment with brow kits, it is quite amazing how much of a transformation, well groomed brows can be - your features are more defined and you get a better 'finished' look to your face.

by 'kits' I mean brow powder to match your colour, with a stiffish slanted brush, setting gel, an easily smudgable pencil for fill in during the day, or if you are worried you might overdo it with a powder, and a highlighter pencil in pink to accentuate the brow.
  • Options
    you can do a lot with good old veg/olive oil.

1st tip, warm 2 or so tbsp (depending on length of hair) of oil and massage into your dry hair. leave it on for as long as possible, you can even sleep in it though u might wanna use an old pillow/pillowcase.. or you could put a towel/placcy bag over your head. then rinse, shampoo and condition as normal. this is a godsend for my dry hair/split ends.

2nd tip, mix 2 or so tbsp of oil with 1 1/2 tbsp of granulated sugar, when you're in the shower, make 5 mins to turn off the water and rub this stuff all over you (especially knees and elbows), rinse off and moisturise for the softest skin ever.

hm.. other beauty tips.. if your mascaras drying up in the tube dip the bottom in some hot water in the sink.

erm...please use the right colour foundation and blend it in properly. don't wear dark lipliner with nude lipstick. too much fake tan is not pretty. blue eyeshadow is hard to carry off.

that is all :p
  • Options
    dark/navy blue eyeshadow can look nice! i can carry it off anyway.
  • Options
    i'm all for some smokey blue eyeshadow especially if your eyes are blue, like mine.

however. the look i was condoning was the pat butcheresque, 80's-stylee bright blue eyeshadow with clashing chantelle-orange lipstick and extreme stripey blusher. i'm sure you know what i mean. its just -wrong-
  • Options
    1. Try navy or plum mascara as an alternative to black, it's a little less harsh, especially if you have fairer hair/skin-tone

2. The oil and sugar exfoliator also works with salt, or crumbled oats. Makes skin lovely and soft.

3. Dry body brush! This sloughs off dead skin cells, tones up the skin, aids removal of fat/toxins etc. and helps in the absorption of oils used in the bath water. I think it also helps before shaving the legs.

4. Take time out to pamper: oil/deep condition hair, facepack, tea-bags over eyes, dry body-brush, tweeze/pluck/shave/de-fuzz, aromatherapy bath, moisurise, perfume, manicure and pedicure. You'll feel and look like a princess afterwards!

5. If you're in a hurry and no-time to spend sprucing yourself up, hang your head upside down for a few seconds, pinch your cheeks a little, and rub your fingers into your lips quite firmly...this gives you a healthy glow and pink lips! (with no make-up!)
  • Options
    5. If you're in a hurry and no-time to spend sprucing yourself up, hang your head upside down for a few seconds, pinch your cheeks a little, and rub your fingers into your lips quite firmly...this gives you a healthy glow and pink lips! (with no make-up!)

Or you die cuz of too much brain fluid :p
  • Options
    Rachael wrote:
    Or you die cuz of too much brain fluid :p

Hay at leats which every way you will be leaving the room you will be leaving with beatiful cheeks and rosie lips.........even if it is in a ambulance
  • Options
    Give it 1 minute though and your rosy cheeks and pink lips are back to normal. Seems like pointless pain, unless you keep doing it thruout the day, but then they'll ambulance you away... to a different kind of hospital though
  • Options
      Wear lip-blam/vaseline even if you dont use lipstick/gloss. Will protect you lips and stop them drying out.

my tip is not to do this, i dont wear anything on my lips anymore as when i used vaseline/lip balm regularly my lips were always dry if i didnt use it often enough because your lips become dependant on it. now i dont use vaseline or lip balm anymore and i have lovely soft lips. my best friend cant go a few hours without smothering her lips in crap because she's dependant :yes:
  • Options
    Before you put any make up on your eyes, put a coat (thin coat, unless you take ages to put make-up on) of Vaseline on your eyelids and wherever you're putting your eyeshadow. Wait until it's almost totally dry before you put your eyeshadow on, and your eyeshadow will stay exactly the same all day. If you don't leave it long enough, though, it builds up clumps in the creases and looks nasty :yes:.
  • Options
    pinkvans wrote:
    i'm all for some smokey blue eyeshadow especially if your eyes are blue, like mine.

however. the look i was condoning was the pat butcheresque, 80's-stylee bright blue eyeshadow with clashing chantelle-orange lipstick and extreme stripey blusher. i'm sure you know what i mean. its just -wrong-
    Makeup artists recommend people with blue eyes to stay away from blue eyeshadow. Browns really make your blue eyes 'pop'.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Sugar wrote:
    my tip is not to do this, i dont wear anything on my lips anymore as when i used vaseline/lip balm regularly my lips were always dry if i didnt use it often enough because your lips become dependant on it. now i dont use vaseline or lip balm anymore and i have lovely soft lips. my best friend cant go a few hours without smothering her lips in crap because she's dependant :yes:
    I'm sorry, but I don't think you're right. Lips don't carry moisture in them because they haven't got any oily glands - they are the only part of your body that doesn't secrete oil. Thus, lip balms and vaseline being a good idea to carry with you at all times. Perhaps you're just lucky - but I don't believe lips can become dependant on lip balm.

Ilora x