Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Scientology

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    briggi wrote:
    Don't feel too sorry for her, I'm sure she's rolling in moolah and that 1000% more people have heard of Katie Holmes now than had a year ago. ;)
    And I'm sure the people of Hollywood would never stoop to such cynical lows now, would they? ;)
    The Leaf wrote:
    Well,Im anonymous on this forum so I can say that I think the "church" of scientology is the biggest,smelliest,sweatiest and sloppiest pile of shit Iv ever come across and all its followers are thick,stupid and need a damn good slap. :razz:

I know you’re not serious but that’s a bit unfair, victims of cults are duped into them for the most part – they’ve usually suffered some kind of mind control, cults use specific techniques including hypnosis, sleep depravation and isolation to effectively brainwash people. I’m not familiar with cults and how they recruit but some pretty intelligent people have been victim to them. A British student, Jeremiah Duggan died in extremely suspicious circumstances when he got involved with a political cult connected to Lyndon LaRouche which is an extremely vile organisation, I don’t think it’s fair to characterize the kid who got caught up in it and others as ‘thick’ or ‘stupid.’
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The Leaf wrote:
    How can people believe in the bible but yet dont believe in vampires and werewolves?
    Jesus coming back from the dead,walkng across water,feeding millions of people with a loaf of bread,no butter and half a fish?The garden of eden and that snake etc?
    Not a slag off but if you can believe all that REALLY happened whats stupid about werewolves?

Vampires exist... I don't know about Werewolves, seems doubtful that one. Just wouldn't work, surley.

Jesus, most likley did exist, and most likley was a generous, nice, bloke, trying to make people live better lives.

Then his story got abused and hyped up as people re told it, and it ended up like this. Well, fuck me, that should teach us to just tell the original as it is without additions :p
    The Leaf wrote:
    Well,Im anonymous on this forum

No you're not.

And YouthNet would also be prey to litigation.
    its followers are thick,stupid and need a damn good slap.

No they're not.

Cults are masters of controlling people, that's how they get where they are. It's not stupid to be brainwashed by people.

If you're on your knees you'll take any help to get up. Cult leaders don't prey on those who are happy and content in their lives, they can't be manipulated too easy.
    Ok Ok I`ll take back the thick and stupid remark but what about the people who are rich and have no real trouble?I.e. tom cruise,katie holmes,isaac bloke(voice of chef)and another rich woman (anna nicole smith?I cant remember)?
    I doubt any of those were on thier knees needing help so how could they be brainwashed so easily?
    Who knows?

Probably because Scientology makes those with money feel important. Wealth is rewarded in the cult, the more money you put in the more access to the higher forces you have. Funny that.
    I really dont see how any intelligent person can believe in a supposed "religion"(I know its not) where the guy who founded it says "if you want to make money start a religion" no matter how down and out you are.
    And if you were down and out you wouldnt expect a "religion" thats supposed to help you, try to take your money in return for help....... :rolleyes:
    All youd have to do is compare it to another religion and the whole thing falls apart really.
    Christianity asks for donations but not in return for anything other than to keep the church in good nick.
    nothing personal mate but ...why do americans blindly suck in this kinda stuff?
    It's not just America though is it?

There is a big "Church" of Scientology here in London on the Tottenham Court Road, 2 minutes walk from where I live.

They offer "stress tests" to passers by (generally stressed people!) and guess what... the stress test tells them that yes they are stressed and that Scientology is the answer.

There was an undercover student journalist from my university who went there to do one of these tests. They tried to suck her in. And tried to sell her a book and a place on a weekend "retreat" away. The article made for interesting reading.
    \
    i was just reading the website. it doesnt sound that bad. no worse than any other religion.
    Is that their official website though? :chin:
    yep. Im not joining or anything. Im not a particularly spiritual person and have never had any interest in religion of any kind. Im just saying it doesnt seem any more stupid than other religions.
    Religions all take your money and make you do stupid things for a goal you dont even know exists.
    Yep indeed they do but I think this one rewards large money donations for more power within whichever "church" you attend. :yeees:
    I passed a church in Manchester the other day called something like, the Church of Christ the Scientist or something like that. Sorry to be terribly ignorant, but is that the same thing as Scientology?
    :/http://www.tfccs.com/index.jhtml;jsessionid=KIJ12550KDZBPKGL4L2SFEQ
    i was just reading the website. it doesnt sound that bad. no worse than any other religion.
    http://www.xenu.net/roland-intro.html
    That bit about Xenu makes me laugh.

HEHEHEHEHE!
    http://www.xenutv.com/cruise/sp-closet.htm

The official website or the one I linked to?

I wouldn't recommend wasting as much time as I have reading into Scientology, but if you did I think you'd probably change your mind. They're essentially a cult that preys on the weak by charging them extraordinary amounts of money to be accepted and who use extortion along with many and frivolous lawsuits in order to harass any person who even dares to breathe dissent (hence JimV's reluctance for us to discuss it). How this differs from other religions is the fact that their belief system and ways of "worship" are not out there in the public eye for us to examine and judge and the reason for this is to slowly scam witless people out of money that they generally don't have. Also, their PR comprises finding celebrities to treat like royalty in exchange for pushing their views on lowly ole Joe Public in order to attempt to affect public opinion.

So while you have a valid point in terms of the flaws of other religions, Scientology is a scam because of their hidden beliefs that they charge money for (and by no means is that optional). That, and it's pretty much all blatant brainwashing to get money, not actually because they believe in the schizo delusions of their overlord. Maybe it could be compared to catholicism during the times of indulgences, but despite my reservations about catholicism I'd never compared it to this wholly cynical, mercenary "religion". At least that's my take on it, it makes me really irate because clams are one of my biggest hates.
    I don’t think it’s fair to characterize the kid who got caught up in it and others as ‘thick’ or ‘stupid.’

It's not, by any stretch of the imagination. But the famous Hollywood stars who get involved because Scientology claims it can "cure" them of their box office-unfriendly er, predilections?

But of course, we all know the cure for any illness... physical or psychological is vitamins. To quote Tom Cruise "Psychiatry is a pseudo-science, you don't know the history of psychiatry. I do."

:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
    \
    The cure to evrything is vitamins right?So what about that schizophrenic delusional guy who stabbed his mum(follower of scientology) when she was treating him with vitamins? :rolleyes: What a crock of.......
    And tom cruise knows the history of psychiatry........just what hes been led on to believe he knows no doubt. :yes:
    Hes such a little smarmy,gimboid.I think anyway....
    i went to that link about the church of christ the scientist, but since i'm too lazy to read their website properly, or the scientology one for that matter, i still don't know whether they are different organisations or not. anyone any ideas?

No, there's no connection other than the similarity of the names.. at least that I'm aware of. :)
    \
    It's no more stupid that Islam, it isn't as good a business as Catholicism....
    It's no more stupid that Islam

with respect, if you think that then you know precious little about Islam.
    It's no more stupid that Islam, it isn't as good a business as Catholicism....

No, it realy is. It realy is.

DSeriously, this isn't a Religion at all. It is a scam and cult of brainwashing for POWER alone.

Although yes, it doesn't make as much as Catholicism. But you have to deal with Nazis to do that.
    with respect, if you think that then you know precious little about Islam.
    You think aliens are less plausible than a higher deity? Than an afterlife?
    Sorry... let me elaborate.

Who truelly knows what is what in the world? Nobody... So whilst we all sit around saying this is true, that is shit in accordance (mostly) with what other people tell us, what we read ect...

Is scientology a scam?

Personally I think that any religion that makes money is a scam... Any religion that seeks to seperate yourself from the rest of society by labelling you (yes, my myspace profle has me as 'Buddhist', I am currently studying Buddhism), by telling you what God/ess commands is stealing from you in my eyes and is thus a scam... if they aren't asking you for your money they're asking you fr your obedience, to repress your sexuality, they're elevating you as higher than other people because they're saying that by obedience you are worthy of a better afterlfe. They are creating an 'Us and them' attitude, thus a club that's membership is based on either guilt or something that we cannot prove... To me that's a scam because they all guarentee something we cannot prove.

I don't see any one religion as especially stupid, plausible, good or evil... I think they all deserve respect including Scientology, Satanism, Wicca and anything else not considered mainstream. Either respect them all or don't respect any because in general people are all equally as stupid, full of faults and prone to mistakes.

Now excuse me whilst I continue being my dumbass self with my studies.
    Anyone who thinks ELRon's "religion" is a viable option for spirtual enlightenment and a wonderful world obviously hasn't read his book The Fundamentals of Thought in which he spews such filth as.. white people are more progressive because they crave/need more attention (?) than "yellows and browns" [his words]. The yellows and browns, ya see, get sufficient attention from rocks, trees etc...

Snake oil salesmen.
    Moonrat:

Islam according to the Koran and the Haddith are philosophies which are in essence decentralised and exist as ideas with varying forms of practice.

Scientology is a centralised, copyrighted, hierachically organised and litigiously guarded organisation.

The corrolation between Xanu in Scientology and the idea of Allah, is not direct because Allah is the ultimate truth, sublime and absolute. The story of scientology is an event WITHIN causality, something which happened before leading to the world as we know it.

But thats just at the macrocosmic level, in terms of the individual ideas of Islam, those philosophies may reflect societal organisation and norms practiced over millenia. For example, where Muslisms are encouraged to explore the world around them and understand it (a uniquely explicit assertion among the three 'peoples of the book') through the natural sciences etc, scientology professes to have 'the answers' predefined, through a series of copyrighted materials (as the americans say) 'priced to own'.

I myself am not religious in any way, shape or form, but I cannot find intellectually satisfing reasons for denying the existence of God, just as i see no proof. I am forced therefore into an Agnostic position.
    Just to point out, feel free to discuss Scientology - it's Tom Cruise's personal life that could be trouble.
    Jim V wrote:
    Just to point out, feel free to discuss Scientology - it's Tom Cruise's personal life that could be trouble.
    :lol:

Aww. Took the fun outof that! :p
    Those who haven't already seen it are strongly advised to watch the infamous South Park scientology episode here

Fucking funny as fuck :D
    Aladdin wrote:
    Those who haven't already seen it are strongly advised to watch the infamous South Park scientology episode here

Fucking funny as fuck :D
    Posted it already :p