Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I need some opinions...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...before I do something drastic that's going to look awful.

Basically, my hair needs sorting out. Majorly sorting out. Currently it's about shoulder length, and I like the cut. But there are issues with colour. I dyed it red about a year ago, and kept dying it red. The last time I dyed it was about September I think. Now, when the roots came through, I decided I wanted to go back to my natural colour, but to do this, my wonderful parent said I needed to go really dark to cover the red. So I dyed it what was supposed to be dark brown. It wasn't. Then I tried again, with similar success. So now I have red hair up to about half way up, then the (really not very dark - I'd go with slightly darker than my natural light brown/dirty blonde) brown dye, and then my natural hair for about the last half-inch. Except now it's starting to go green. Not my natural hair, but the dye. And green is not a good colour for me.

Now - my choices are:

1) Get it dyed properly so it's a) not green and b) covering the red.
2) Get it all cut off really short. REALLY short. Kind of like this or this.
3) All of the above.

I've attached a couple of pictures of me, so you can help me decide. I'd reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally appreciate your help 'cause I HAVEN'T GOT A FUCKING CLUE. Also, if you have any other styles you think would look good, that would be nice, too :).

Franki

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Get it dyed...but don't get it cut really really short, I don't like it that short :(
    i like the second short picture, think it'd suit you. do you straighten your hair?
    Get it dyed properly and if you can spare it cut some off the ends. As it grows keep getting it trimmed so eventually all the hair with the crappy dye underneath will go.
    i like the second short picture, think it'd suit you. do you straighten your hair?
    Not really. I don't have the time (or a pair of straighteners). My sister straightens it sometimes, but she has a tendency to burn the top of my right ear (the one I have pierced), so it's rarely.
    I prefer the first cut you posted. I'm not sure with short styles though. I'm not too keen on short styles. I'd get it dyed to be honest.
    If you like the cut as it is, I'd suggest a dye job.
    Personally, I think you would suit a short cut, your face is the right shape. But it's all about how daring you are - it can be a big step to go short if you've never done it before. At the end of the day, if you do cut it short and you're not majorly keen, it'll grow back.

Or, go and speak to a hairdresser for their opinion.
    If you like the cut as it is, I'd suggest a dye job.
    I like it, but it's at the stage where it's tie-upable, but there are huge chunks of it that DON'T stay there. I'd rather have it where I know I can't tie it up, so don't even try.

Also, I wanna do something big and daring with my hair. I like it when people look shocked when I do something :D. Kinda like the first time I dyed it red.

Claire - my mum said that. I'm gonna go to the hairdresser tomorrow on my way to work and ask for a consultation :yes:.
    it's a bit flicky outty at the bottom isn't it? maybe you could invest in some good straighteners? will make the world of difference. :)
    it's a bit flicky outty at the bottom isn't it? maybe you could invest in some good straighteners? will make the world of difference. :)
    Lizzy has a good pair of straighteners. I'm gonna try and get something which doesn't need straighteners to look good, though.
    the only thing to consider when you think about having hair as short as those pictures is that it'll look like that when you first step out of the hairdressers, and then never again. i've had my hair like that a few times, and while i love the idea of it, every time i end up growing it out asap, cause every morning when i wake up my hair stands on end, and cause it's naturally wavy/curly, unless i figure an extra 2 hours into my morning routine to wash, dry and straighten every single day, i look like some kind of crazed no-style boy.

on the colour front, consider going to the hairdressers and getting your current colours stripped. if you carry on dying on top it'll just get more and more mental. if you can strip them out, and dye it back to your natural colour, you can give it a much-needed rest.
    Franki wrote:
    Lizzy has a good pair of straighteners. I'm gonna try and get something which doesn't need straighteners to look good, though.

my hair will always need them to look good. :grump:
    my hair will always need them to look good. :grump:
    Ah, I don't believe that!
    i think you should dye it - used to work in a hairdressers and saw so many pretty girls with similar face shapes go in for a short edgy flicky cut and come out looking like blokes...
    Franki wrote:
    Ah, I don't believe that!

my friend said i look like a lion before i straighten my hair. :(:o
    Try dying it first. If that doesn't work you can resort to having it cut, but I think it suits you in those photos.
    i think the short style would definitely suit you and if you dont like it it'll grow out. no big deal. although it is quite drastic- i had my hair short once and it shocked a lot of people! so if i were you, i'd dye it and have it cut short, you only live once!
    What i think you should do franki pops is buy a strip[ing kit from superdrug, they do their own brand for about £4, plonk that on your hair and let it do it's magic it might go a 'lovely' yellow/orange colour but thats not a problem as you'll be dying over it again, then go find a nice colour similar to your natural colour and then dye it with that, and because your hair has been stripped it should all turn out the same colour, and if the colour is similar to your natural colour, when your roots come through you wont even be able to tell :thumb:
    I think I'll just go to the hairdressers, rather than risking fucking it up again tbh :p.
    Kaff's right about short hair, I have no end of trouble with mine sometiems and though I like the cut it only ever looks really nice when it's first done. you can spend hours with pots of wax and sometimes it just won't play ball. If it doesn't, you can't just tie it back in desperation!

Oh, and from one who keeps trying, growing it out is quite hard 'cos it looks shit in the process.