Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Skydiving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone done it?!

A friend wants us all to do it for his 21st, but i'm a wimp!! I'm not really a fan of roller coasters, don't like the whole speed feeling, I thought you just free-fell for 5 seconds or so then cruised on down with the parachute but after watching a video of it they say you freefall for 30 seconds up to 120mph! I could think of nothing I'd want to do less than that!!

Am I just being a big girl?! :blush:

Comments

• Options
    I hate rollercoasters too, so yer.. I wouldn't try sky diving. I'm not good with extreme sports. I'm a sissy :nervous:
  • Options
    no it's not for everyone is it. do you want to do it but are just scared?

have you thought about how much they cost? i wanted to do a wingwalk but they cost £475!! :o
  • Options
    Aw I think you should do it, I'd love the chance...definitely will do it one day. I think you'd regret it if all your mates went and you had to hear about how great it was for weeks afterward.

Go for it, you only live once (and if your life is cut considerably shorter by skydiving then that was obviously god's plan).

:p
  • Options
    I would like to do it to say that I had, try everything once kind of thing but I'm just not so sure about it. I'm getting loads of peer pressure aswell!!

It's about £200 each, we've all done different experience kind of things for our 21st' though so I feel obliged to do it. I suppose I could just go and watch. Ouch, that's an expensive experience!! You're mad, I'm not sure which I'd find scarier!

Can I say to them that I don't want to freefall for 30 seconds and am happy to just do 5 seconds or something?! I'm scared!!
  • Options
    £200 is a lot but if you can afford it i say go for it. chances are you'll never do it again! but make sure you really want to do it.

for the £475 you only get £10 minutes!
  • Options
    Hun, if you don't wanna do it, don't. If you do but are scared then maybe talking it over with those you'll be with might help? Don't let peer pressure do something you don't wanna do because then you really won't enjoy it.
  • Options
    throwing yourself out of a perfectly good aircraft,is nothing short of insanity imo

trusting your life to a few bits of string and a dishcloth.........not for me but hey.
  • Options
    JJ454 wrote:
    I would like to do it to say that I had, try everything once kind of thing but I'm just not so sure about it. I'm getting loads of peer pressure aswell!!

Don't do it if you feel pressured and scared, what's the point? Like lucifer_devil said, it's just not for everyone... and there's no shame in freefalling through the sky not being your thing.

still think you should go though ;)
  • Options
    Cheers for the suggestions guys! I just don't know!!
  • Options
    well if you went along do you think you'd regret not having said yes?
  • Options
    Many charities offer the chance to do a sponsered one for free if you will raise a minimum amount in sponsership. This makes something that in itself is a fairly pointless exercise into something worthwhile.
  • Options
    the people who i enquired about the wingwalk with say you're not allowed to raise money for charity!
  • Options
    the people who i enquired about the wingwalk with say you're not allowed to raise money for charity!
    Why do they say that? I have seen it advertised on various charity websites that they have places for skydivers. It is very odd for it to specifically be forbidden by the wingwalking people.
  • Options
    Dont do it if you really dont want to, but I personally think you'll miss out skydiving is awsome. although i'm guessing you'll be doing a tandem so you jump with an instructor, it really is rediculously safe though
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    Why do they say that? I have seen it advertised on various charity websites that they have places for skydivers. It is very odd for it to specifically be forbidden by the wingwalking people.

it's with AeroSuperBatics and it's actually £495.

they say..

Please Note: The Aviation Authorities have deemed Wingwalking to be a professional display act and not a sport, consequently raising money for, or being sponsored to do a Wingwalk to raise money for charity is not possible.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Gavman wrote:
    Dont do it if you really dont want to, but I personally think you'll miss out skydiving is awsome. although i'm guessing you'll be doing a tandem so you jump with an instructor, it really is rediculously safe though

:yes: Yep and you can do it for TheSite :)Lookit
  • Options
    JJ454 wrote:
    Anyone done it?!

A friend wants us all to do it for his 21st, but i'm a wimp!! I'm not really a fan of roller coasters, don't like the whole speed feeling, I thought you just free-fell for 5 seconds or so then cruised on down with the parachute but after watching a video of it they say you freefall for 30 seconds up to 120mph! I could think of nothing I'd want to do less than that!!

Am I just being a big girl?! :blush:

Personally I think something like on the link below is a much better idea for your friend's Birthday to try first, then if he likes that then he can consider sky diving - at least this way he can experience a little of what it is like without risking his and his friend's lives

http://www.airkix.com/

http://www.airkix.com/pix_flix/flix_advert1.asp
  • Options
    Personally I think something like on the link below is a much better idea for your friend's Birthday to try first, then if he likes that then he can consider sky diving - at least this way he can experience a little of what it is like without risking his and his friend's lives

http://www.airkix.com/

http://www.airkix.com/pix_flix/flix_advert1.asp
    that looks like propper fun!....i'm gonna book it now! :hyper:
  • Options
    I've talked about my skydiving experience numerous times but I would recommend to everyone to try it at least once. It's something thats very hard to describe but the initial jump from the plane is the worst part imo. You accelerate to 140+mph in like half a second but after that if it wasn't for the wind rushing past your ears you wouldn't even realise you were falling.
    You have no points of reference you see so nothing whizzing past your face to give you the sense of falling.
    And then the 10-15mins under canopy are brill.

Do it. Get sponsored. Raise some cash. Have a laugh.

Would I do it again? Not on your nelly.