Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I will though- 25 years min! ;)
  • Options
    Thanks folks.

It's not so much people judging me.....it's more that people seem to think I'm this happy, cheeful, confident person when really I'm this depressed self loathing weirdo. So I'm scared that people like the 'funny' me and then are totally disappointed when the real me appears.

Fucking arrghhhhh.

I can't be myself because it'd scare people away.
  • Options
    Its harder to scare away friends than you think. Take care of yourself.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Thanks folks.

It's not so much people judging me.....it's more that people seem to think I'm this happy, cheeful, confident person when really I'm this depressed self loathing weirdo. So I'm scared that people like the 'funny' me and then are totally disappointed when the real me appears.

Fucking arrghhhhh.

You really wouldn't scare people away though. People like you for who you are not what you are, nobody is one sided that's for sure. How you see you and how everyone else does is obviously going to be different. Stop being so hard on yourself though. You don't have to " act " in any way except for that which you are comfortable with, and that is being yourself. Trust me i know this now.

You are a much MUCH greater person than i think you give yourself credit for.

You know where i am if you want to talk and things. You've helped me out a bit in the past. I may appear to be stupid but i'm not entirely ;)
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I've got the bottle next to me and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna drink myself into another stuper... And I don't know why, I'm pretty sure I'm about to start an amazing relationship with a girl I really like, and I have some semi-decent friends for once...

I'm pretty sure there's something else >.<
  • Options
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I've got the bottle next to me and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna drink myself into another stuper... And I don't know why, I'm pretty sure I'm about to start an amazing relationship with a girl I really like, and I have some semi-decent friends for once...

I'm pretty sure there's something else >.<

Could just be boredom. I know sometimes when I'm just sitting in the house I just want a drink cos it's so boring. Try not to think about some deeper psychological reasoning behind you wanting a drink, just occipy yourself with something and you'll be sorted.
  • Options
    thought lolly pop was klintock then..
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Didn't scare me away, did it?
  • Options
    :crying: I want to self harm so badly.

I just feel as though everyone is on my case right now.

All I try to do is keep people happy. I never go out to hurt people or upset people yet I do it without trying. I've got the general impression that I have really upset someone. I'm not a cruel person though :( I don't go out to upset people. Part of me is thinking this person is trying to ruin the one good thing I've got going in my life right now.

I'm just a worthless piece of fuckin shit. Sometimes I just wish I was dead. I either ruin things for myself unintentionally or other people ruin it for me.

Sigh. I just want to hurt myself. I just hate being me.
    We don't hate you. Most of us don't know you but you'll realise pretty quick that you can get virtual hugs off almost all the regular posters in this thread via PM. You got one from me right now. It's corny, I know, but if we can care about how you're feeling without knowng you, maybe you should try to remember how special you are to those who do. x
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Could just be boredom. I know sometimes when I'm just sitting in the house I just want a drink cos it's so boring. Try not to think about some deeper psychological reasoning behind you wanting a drink, just occipy yourself with something and you'll be sorted.
    I got a bit pissed... still not sure why...

So worried I'm gonna fuck things up with this girl... I need to seriously stop drinking before anything happens to jepordize this..
  • Options
    Started to self harm yesterday for no reason at all yesterday, whenever I did it before I was always so upset, but yesterday I felt I had to do it because I had no reason to feel happy, how twisted my mind has become :-(
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    It's not so much people judging me.....it's more that people seem to think I'm this happy, cheeful, confident person when really I'm this depressed self loathing weirdo.

If you're good at projecting confidence, then people will think you confident. Confidence is only ever about projecting an image, most people are bricking it when they have to go into new social situations.

I'd say that you're not a weirdo, but you think you are because you don't like yourself and you are depressed. That's how life is. I'm not really sure what else to say, except you're not what you think you are.
    So I'm scared that people like the 'funny' me and then are totally disappointed when the real me appears.

What is the "funny you" and the "real you", though?

Nobody can pull off an act for too long without it having truth. So if people think you a wit, the life of a party, then you really probably are.

Why should the sad you be the only "real" you? Sadness is part of everyone, but its not the only part of anyone. The sadness is part of you that you hide, it doesn't make it more real than the confident jokey side you have.

Disappointed isn't the right word, but anyone who cares about you will be sad if you're sad. That's what friendship is about. It doesn't mean you have to hide it or be ashamed of it, friends will laugh at the happy times and support you in the sad times.

When you joke, you are you. Nobody can act that well for long.
  • Options
    betsy wrote:
    Started to self harm yesterday for no reason at all yesterday

There's always a reason.

Feeling nothing is as bad, or sometimes worse, than feeling sadness. At least in sadness you feel alive, even if you don't want to be.

There's nothing freakish about wanting to hurt yourself just to see if you feel anything. It's something a lot of us have done at least once. The pain makes you feel alive when you feel dead inside. It's not freakish to do it at all.

But if you are feeling dead inside, I'd wonder what it is you're trying to blot out.

Hope you're alright. Remember there's no shame in self-harming, even if you haven't done it for ages. We all fall one time or another.
  • Options
    Dr Pirate wrote:
    I got a bit pissed... still not sure why...

So worried I'm gonna fuck things up with this girl... I need to seriously stop drinking before anything happens to jepordize this..
    It's good that you know you do, I hope it's more than a sort of superficial "I ought..." and rather something that you'll act on 'cos a lot of people here worry about you. That's not meant to be a pressure, you understand.

I hope that didn't sound preachy. Just take care and try to keep the girl as an incentive to kick-start a change, if you can.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    It's good that you know you do, I hope it's more than a sort of superficial "I ought..." and rather something that you'll act on 'cos a lot of people here worry about you. That's not meant to be a pressure, you understand.

I hope that didn't sound preachy. Just take care and try to keep the girl as an incentive to kick-start a change, if you can.
    Already off to a great start tonight, drunk quite a bit and I think I'm gonna drink some more...

she didnt return any of my calls/messages... so uh, yeah... pissedville here I come.
  • Options
    Infinite wrote:
    Thanks folks.

Fucking arrghhhhh.

Well, tbh, I think I like you more now that I've seen these couple of posts here. While I enjoy funny, I also like to get to know the person behind the jokes. I like a person who can be honest about themselves, and if you really feel the way you have said in these posts - then I think it's pretty brave of you to have made them.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, it means a lot that you actually took the time to write helpful replies.

Cheers :)
  • Options
    The only thing i want to do is cut, everywhere, i'd cover my arms in cuts if I didnt somehow find the srength not to do it. But I've lost my main coping stagey and I'm starting not to cope very well without it.
  • Options
    The only thing i want to do is cut, everywhere, i'd cover my arms in cuts if I didnt somehow find the srength not to do it. But I've lost my main coping stagey and I'm starting not to cope very well without it.
    What's brought this on?
  • Options
    I think its stress related -I have my final exmas in two months and I'm shitting it, I cant stand work, and my boyf is having a lot of personal problems which are starting to worry me a LOT. I havent had the need to do it this badly for a several months. I'm quite tempted to smash my knukles into a wall at the moment, even though it wont change anything.
  • Options
    I think its stress related - I have my final exmas in two months and I'm shitting it, I cant stand work, and my boyf is having a lot of personal problems which are starting to worry me a LOT. I havent had the need to do it this badly for a several months. I'm quite tempted to smash my knukles into a wall at the moment, even though it wont change anything.
    Try and take your mind off things, if it's only just for a few hours, and then think again about them. Worrying about your boyfriend at least shows you care about him, if nothing else. Are your working hours too heavy at the moment? If possible, try not to work too much during and just before the exams, it could be a distraction from them. Not a great deal else I can say at this stage.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Try and take your mind off things, if it's only just for a few hours, and then think again about them. Worrying about your boyfriend at least shows you care about him, if nothing else. Are your working hours too heavy at the moment? If possible, try not to work too much during and just before the exams, it could be a distraction from them. Not a great deal else I can say at this stage.

Its wired, I been really calm the last couple of days. I have a lot of pressure to get my college project done and handed in, I need to do a hell of a lot of revision. I only work 4 days a week, but I'm the only person who can do my job, plus its currently coming up for peak season, so cutting back the hours is not going to help matters either way. Really feel stuck at the moment, I cant seem to one thing without really affecting the other.
  • Options
    Feel like Lady Macbeth. Spent at least an hour trying to get blood of my hands / clothes / bedding / carpet...

Fuck this for a laugh.
  • Options
    Self harming on the brain :(
  • Options
    Ed doesn't trust me. Found that out tonight. I thought he did. I don't even have the urge. I've nearly overcome it.

When my parents finally found out what I did, they researched it. They looked it up on the internet, got books, watched tv even saw a councler for it. They understood. They knew it was a problem, but they also knew it was someting that could be overcome. Just like alcoholism, it was an addiction, but could be fixed. They knew there could be a lapse. They knew it would be there, but at the same time, it wouldn't always be there.

Ed doesn't know anything. He didn't even try. Thats all he sees. I found out today, when I get angry or sad, thats why he doesn't let me go into another room, and he yells if I shut the door. He didn't even give one effort to try to understand. When a random person sees me wearing a t-shirt, what they think is what he thinks. Thats all he sees. He told me so. I get sad, I get angry, fuck, I'm happy and not wearing a sweatshirt and thats what he sees. Not one fucking effort. He knew long ago what I suffered. I didn't expect him to do what my parents did, but he didn't even try. He's as ignorant as the rest and he doesn't try. Not one fucking bit.

The time I did it was when I was switching meds and had none in me. He doesn't care. He doesn't see past it. Thats all I am. And tonight I found the truth. To not even try... to have to experience it as a bystandard and still refuse to even try to seek out any type of truth in it all... I can't deal with it. Not one ounce of compassion, not one even second of trying... I don't know if I will deal with it. Now that I know what he really thinkks... I love him, but I dont think I can anymore... I doubt he'll change. Just be the same, think the same, be as ignorant as everybody else and not even try...

The thought of sh never even once crossed my mind tonight no matter how sad I had gotten... but thats all he thought about... how I'll fuck myself up...
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I'm back.

Just a little update on me- has just gone over 2 months since I've harmed myself- Christ knows how, which i'm finally beginning to feel proud about, never have felt like this before earlier on. Things are going good, been with the boyf for 6 months now 96 month anni. 2day :D ), talking to Click on a regular basis (poor sod :p ), and have also started counsiling, not sure if that's good or bad yet though.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Hey everyone, I'm back.

Just a little update on me- has just gone over 2 months since I've harmed myself- Christ knows how, which i'm finally beginning to feel proud about, never have felt like this before earlier on. Things are going good, been with the boyf for 6 months now 96 month anni. 2day :D ), talking to Click on a regular basis (poor sod :p ), and have also started counsiling, not sure if that's good or bad yet though.
    yay for you, glad things are better :)
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Hey everyone, I'm back.

As I said on Anything goes, good to have you back. Hope things work out for you.

I've managed three months now without cutting. And the urges seem to be a lot less often. Still nowhere near coping the depression though.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    ...ust gone over 2 months since I've harmed myself- Christ knows how, which i'm finally beginning to feel proud about, never have felt like this before earlier on.

You should feel proud :). It is a great achievement, and you've done it all by yourself :).
    your-babe wrote:
    talking to Click on a regular basis (poor sod :p )

He's a lucky chappy. What I'd give to talk to a lovely girl like you on a regular basis... oh, wait :).

It's great that you're back, and it's great that you're beginning to feel better. It is a shame that all your old posts have gone - I think you'd find the contrast somewhat remarkable :).