Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Using a cd/dvd burner to read

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I used to have two cd/dvd drives, one that could only read and one that can also burn. The reader went wacko, so I took it out and now I'm only using the burner. Are there any drawbacks to using a burner as the main cd/dvd drive?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not that I am aware of, always had a burner to play and burn, always work perfectly...
  • Options
    Yeah, it works fine, but I was thinking that maybe too much reading can make it not burn as good or something.
  • Options
    Nah that shouldn't happen. Although I guess more action with the laser could have an effect, that would probably only be noticeable after 1,000,000s of read/writes...

One thing to note is that the burner might not read as fast as a dedicated reader.
  • Options
    The laser pickup will wear out faster. Not a huge problem, but you'll experience degradation of reading/writing in maybe 2 years instead of 4.
  • Options
    I use software called virtual CD for all the CD's i need to use regularly, this means they are stored on the hard drive as images, so i hardly use my CD/DVD drive :thumb:
  • Options
    MrMan! wrote:
    I use software called virtual CD for all the CD's i need to use regularly, this means they are stored on the hard drive as images, so i hardly use my CD/DVD drive :thumb:

Yeah I do the same here, I use Alcohol 120%, CD-DVD emulator as well as ripping cd-dvd and burning them... really good software...
  • Options
    I have one of those, but I only use it sometimes...
  • Options
    if you end up running out of space or are worried about your drive wearing out, you can easily pick up a cd/dvd reading drive for under £20 im sure.