Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Question for people who've done/doing a dissertation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Does it really take over your life? To put this into context I won't be seeing much of my b/f til he graduates in July, so at the minute I'm only seeing him once a week if that, and talking very little on phone/via text. I know his dissertation is priority so should I just suck it up and not complain at all, or maybe hint that I'd like a bit more interaction?

I have a feeling I'm just bein selfish but any opinions very welcome!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    you're in your first year at uni aren't you?

when you get into your second year or do your dissertation proposal i think you'll realise how time consuming they can be. for my dissertation i'll be carrying out my own research - that in itself will take up a lot of my time. a big deal is placed on dissertations so students are under a lot of pressure to do well. and don't forget you have other essays/exams to revise for on top of the dissertation.

eta: i think you need to remember this is only for a few months or whatever and plays a big part in what your boyfriend will get in his degree. he's worked hard for 3 years, no point in slacking off at the last hurdle. give him space to finish his work.
  • Options
    I'm doing my dissertation at the moment. I'm writing it up now. Yes- it has taken over my life. Yes- that is normal. No, my boyfriend isn't getting much attention right now.

If you are in it for the long term you should try to focus on the fact that him doing well in his degree will help you both out in terms of him having better job prospects in the long run.

Just try to be supportive of him and not demanding.
  • Options
    You're both right, I had a feeling I was just being grumpy coz we're in the early stages and usually that's when you hang around each other like a bad smell. I'll suck it up til July :) Thanks ladies
  • Options
    i had no life from the begining of feb until last wednesday.

at the end of it i was spending a minimum of 17 hours per day in the library. its very demanding
  • Options
    If you havent picked a stupid degree (law or science type things) they can be done relatively quickly.

I waited and waited then blasted mine out in an adrenaline fueled four weeks, though its not always a good idea to do this.

If you time it well it shouldn't take over your life or stress you out really.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    If you havent picked a stupid degree (law or science type things) they can be done relatively quickly.
    Sholud have known it was a mistake to do a science degree :grump:

I'm up to 9143 words now though so only a few thousand more to go.
  • Options
    kathryn wrote:
    it SHOULD take over his life because its almost certainly the most important piece of work he'll ever do, and it should be the piece he is most proud of.

Wow! You took it pretty seriously. What degree did you take?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    Wow! You took it pretty seriously. What degree did you take?

she's right, it probably will be the most important piece of work someone will do. doesn't mean she's being overly serious.
  • Options
    Wow i feel like ive had it easy with mine from reading these posts, i started mine at the beginning of january and did about 1 or 2 thousand words a week til march. Its pretty much all done now and i dont feel like ive been too stressed over it either.
  • Options
    she's right, it probably will be the most important piece of work someone will do. doesn't mean she's being overly serious.

What are you reading now? Why quote me if you are just going to respond to some other imaginary post?
  • Options
    katralla wrote:
    What are you reading now? Why quote me if you are just going to respond to some other imaginary post?

what?!
  • Options
    Never mind. Ingnored...
  • Options
    what?!

I think katralla is having a stressed out day. I'd ignore it if I were you.

Anyway, to answer the OP. No, you're not wrong for wanting a bit more interaction, and you're certainly not being selfish, but you probably won't get much more attention. I'd be really worried about your bf's health if he is doing nothing but work, that is really unhealthy, but work does have to come as a priority between now and the beginning of June. There'll be plenty of time for fun then.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I think katralla is having a stressed out day. I'd ignore it if I were you.

i will thank you. :)
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone, been interesting to check out the different types of scenarios. He just cancelled a night out we had planned for a week ten minutes before he was due to come down to my house, stating via text he was in "bad form"

Bad form? I'm gonna give him bad fucking form when he "gives me a shout" later. :mad:
  • Options
    hmm, letting you know ten mins before is a bit out of order. but trust me, he'll be a bit stressed right now. you'll soon have your old boyfriend back and it'll be worth it when the hard work pays off.
  • Options
    hmm, letting you know ten mins before is a bit out of order. but trust me, he'll be a bit stressed right now. you'll soon have your old boyfriend back and it'll be worth it when the hard work pays off.
    also just sending a text is a bit off... he should have phoned you to apologize properly if you ask me.
  • Options

I doubt that, its not even close to the majority of most students final mark. I've certainly gone on to produce things I felt were considerably more important than my final paper.
  • Options
    When I did my disseratation I was working 2 part time jobs and commuting for 2 hours each day to and from university. However as it was part of an MSc I did it in the summer after normal exams had finished so I didnt' have to go to lectures or anything of the sort.

I still managed to have a social life though - but i did go into university every weekend to get all my work done plus I had to spend 3 weeks in India doing research.

I dont' think it was the most amasing or most important thing i've written. I've certainly done stuff that has impacted on more peoples lives later in life.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    I doubt that, its not even close to the majority of most students final mark. I've certainly gone on to produce things I felt were considerably more important than my final paper.

Depends on the course, my dissertation was about 40% of my final mark so messing it up would have meant an overall crap grade even if all other marks were good.

Doing it is stressful but it shouldn't take over someone's life.

I did mine in about 2 months, still had a part time job and went out..but then my dissertation was on binge drinking so I had to carry out primary research!
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote:
    Depends on the course, my dissertation was about 40% of my final mark so messing it up would have meant an overall crap grade even if all other marks were good.

That's fair enough, but to describe it as the most important piece of work you ever do? That kind of strikes me as the attitude of someone very fresh out of uni.