Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

pale and interesting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why is it no one seems to like pale skin anymore? everyone wants to be tanned! Is it cause it makes you look ill? About 100 years ago everyone wanted pale skin! It was a sign of wealth and beauty! Whats happened? :(

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer Lopez. Everyone wants a fat arse as well. :D
  • Options
    I'm white as white can be.
    I hate it because I think its pastey though I always get compliments. Oh you have such lovely porcelin skin. Blah I just think its an eye hazzard if I wear shorts in the sun (think sun reflecting off snow) + you can see all the veins, like I'm inside out girl.

People are too into the fake bake and covering up any imperfections to have real beauty anymore. I probably would be too if I did anything other than burn. More for the reason that you just said, nobody wants to be pale anymore, therefore I feel uncomfortable being pale while everybody else is a bronze. If there were more pasteys out there I'd probably feel less compelled to be tan.

I stick out like a sore thumb in the summer. Need to be more comfortable with it. They'll all be jelous when I don't look like raw leather hyde in 10 years :cool: Plus the doctors never have a tough time when I need blood work done.
  • Options
    gives you that sunkissed just-been-on-holiday look i guess! and with some people makes you look happier/healthier.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I'm white as white can be.
    I hate it because I think its pastey though I always get compliments. Oh you have such lovely porcelin skin. I just think its an eye hazzard if I wear shorts in the sun (think sun reflecting off snow)
    People are too into the fake bake and covering up any imperfections to have real beauty anymore.
    i'm mega pale, i get told i look ill! My mum says i'll be thankful to have english rose porcelin skin when i'm older cause i won't wrinkle as fast.
    I'm going to get a light fake tan in the summer when more flesh is on show so i don't look like paper! I gotta be careful cause if i use normal tan i'll end up orange.
  • Options
    I think the tide has turned, to be honest. No one I know goes on the sunbeds or gets spray tans anymore...

I think for females it's a lot to do with the fact that it makes you look slimmer, and as my_name says it detracts from imperfections that may be more obvious on paler skin. It does, I guess, but there's a world of difference between a healthy-looking light tan and looking like a tangerine that's past it's best.

Pale skin is more aesthetically pleasing to me, I get a tan when I'm out in the sun but at other times I am what I am and wouldn't spray a different colour onto my body as that's just not me. But I don't really care if other people want to tan for fashion purposes. It's only their own health/bank balance they're harming, after all. :)
  • Options
    i think a bit of coulour makes anyone look fitter.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i think a bit of coulour makes anyone look fitter.
    until they do the orange christina look!
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    until they do the orange christina look!
    well yeh but there is a difference.
  • Options
    my mum went on holiday and she came back really brown and it really did take 5 odd years off her.
  • Options
    I tried on the dress that I'm thinking of wearing to my cusin's wedding in July and I thought, opps I look a bit pale at the monmet, but I got time to get a natural healthy glow. As the weather is improving and I'm going on holiday to cyprus at the end of May, so i should get a tan then and just keep it topeed up by being out in the garden at the weekends etc...

I know, I should be a new dress but I've only worn this one once and that was to the uni xmass party so none of my family have seen it. I'm going to buy a new pair of shoes and a matching bag though.
  • Options
    I always find tan puts years on people. The early 30s women who go tanning and come back looking like they are 40 trying too hard.

One of the consultants at my work, by knowing her childs age and such I guessed her to be a young mother and put her at early 40's though she didn't look a day over 35. Shes got that classic pale look (not icky like me :p) and always classy. Just a gorgeous woman. Turns out shes 48!

Its people like her that make me think twice, even though I hate being pale now, I dont go tan.
  • Options
    my_name wrote:
    I always find tan puts years on people. The early 30s women who go tanning and come back looking like they are 40 trying too hard.

One of the consultants at my work, by knowing her childs age and such I guessed her to be a young mother and put her at early 40's though she didn't look a day over 35. Shes got that classic pale look (not icky like me :p) and always classy. Just a gorgeous woman. Turns out shes 48!

Its people like her that make me think twice, even though I hate being pale now, I dont go tan.
    yeah i agree, tan usually puts years on people for me, usually when it's over done.
  • Options
    Basically a bit of color makes people look more lively.
    Some people suit the pale look - while others look like corpses.

And btw, just because some of us advocate a bit of color it doesn't equalize the support of skin cancer and orange colored skin.
    I'm naturally a bit darker than most, and get more easily tanned in the summer. I'd rather embrace it, than wishing to be something I am not. Especially as I look dead when I go pale.
  • Options
    I love being pale. Admittedly, in the summer I don't hide away, but during the other times of the year I enjoy looking natural.

I won't use 'bronzers' or self tan because it's not me. But I'll happilly go on a foreign holiday and sit by the pool. As long as I'm a natural colour, I don't care.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Tanning helps your body look more defined if you're a bloke so it gets a vote in my book ;)

Obviously you have to be in OK shape anyway lol
  • Options
    I'm quite pale and generally have learnt to accept it. I'd always use some light fake tan on my legs in the summer though. I'll get the occasional spray tan for a special occasion or before I go on holiday as it does make me look healthier and I feel better for it, however I wouldn't make a habit of it...too expensive!
  • Options
    im super pale and dont tan at all, it doesnt bother me but on the rare occassions i have tanned - burned skin going brown etc i look more natural cos i've got my mums greek blood and my dads irish skin!
  • Options
    and by natural i mean that i dont get people coming up to me asking where i got such natural looking black hair dye...
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    i'm mega pale, i get told i look ill! My mum says i'll be thankful to have english rose porcelin skin when i'm older cause i won't wrinkle as fast.
    I'm going to get a light fake tan in the summer when more flesh is on show so i don't look like paper! I gotta be careful cause if i use normal tan i'll end up orange.
    Nivea Sun Touch for fair skin is amazin. Im really pale without it. This just gives u a natural glow.
    I hate my fair skin and people look so much more attractive/slimmer/healthy with a light tan.
    I'd only ever use sun beds a couple of times a year before i go on hols to get me started and i use high factor creams. dont want to look old and haggard before my time!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    Nivea Sun Touch for fair skin is amazin. Im really pale without it. This just gives u a natural glow.
    I hate my fair skin and people look so much more attractive/slimmer/healthy with a light tan.
    I'd only ever use sun beds a couple of times a year before i go on hols to get me started and i use high factor creams. dont want to look old and haggard before my time!
    is that one of the moisturiser things? i want to try one of those, i only need a light tan
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    is that one of the moisturiser things? i want to try one of those, i only need a light tan
    no it's a touch darker than them.
  • Options
    I've got quite pale skin and most of the time I look ill without a bit of bronzer.
  • Options
    im super pale and dont tan at all, it doesnt bother me but on the rare occassions i have tanned - burned skin going brown etc i look more natural cos i've got my mums greek blood and my dads irish skin!

Oh I hate you :p Going tan after burning. I'm jelous. I burn then go right back to casper after that sexy peeling stage.
  • Options
    I had a little look at the fake tans on offer in Boots today.. a whole load of them were half price. But I never know which to get - spray, mousse, gel, wipe, moisturiser?!

I prefer a tan because I don't think my pale skin suits me - red-heads and freckly people suit it fine.. but I have mid brown hair and a welsh ruddy complexion, so I'm always craving a healthy looking bronze. Unfortunately I don't tan very easily.
  • Options
    I'm pale. I tried fake tan but I just looked like I had liver failure.
  • Options
    Im Like really pale i dont like it at times, sometimes the lights indoors make me look Tanned which i like in photos, But in photos you look like :crazyeyes

I would love a light tan, just to take the pale-ness off
  • Options
    I look a million times better with a tan. I have dark hair and dark eyes, and if I am pale I look like a goth.

A tan also covers up blemishes a bit. I've started using johnsons holiday skin for face and body and people have been complimenting me saying I look healthy.
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:

Yeah that stuff is brilliant, I love it. I use it as a face moisturiser every other day or every day and it's so natural but does take the paleness off. So glad I found it!
  • Options
    I'm quite pale and i wish i were paler. The paler the better. I hate orange it's vile. And it's annoying that make up companies are hell bent on catering only to orange people. I can never find a foundation pale enough. Even the lightest shade avalible is darker than my skin tone. It means i can't wear foundation without darkening my skin. So i refuse to even though i would love to wear foundation.

Seems pale is not acceptable in the eyes of make up companies. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Actually I always thought that it was to do with wealth. Four hundred years ago women wanted to look pale as it meant that they were rich enough not to have to go outside. Everyone else was tanned as they worked in the fields all day.

Now it is the opposite. The poor people sit in dingy offices all day. The wealthy ones can afford to go on exotic holidays, and can afford fake tanning methods. Therefore a tan is a status symbol. But now almost everyone can afford a tan, it will probably swing back the other way at some point in the next hundred years. But who knows?