Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rolling Stones, censored by China, will still play there

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4888332.stm

Jagger says it's only 5 songs out of more than 400 they're not allowed to play so it's not a big issue.

Or is it? Is this yet another brand/business prepared to accept censorship for the sake of profits?

The list of censored songs has actually grown from 4 to 5. Unless the fifth song was released after 2003 (when the original list of 4 was compiled by the Chinese) it'd seem censorship is actually getting worse in China.

Incidentally, not having a head for lyrics so I don't know what Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Beast of Burden, Let's Spend the Night Together, four of the five censored songs, are about. Does anyone know them? What could be that bothers the Chinese? Sexual innuendo? :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think it's really surprising or unexpected, after all it's China...
    the stones havebeen censored all their carear so why should they make a fuss about it now ...here in the uk and the states and europe ...as were the beatles and many others.
    brown sugar they will tell you is about slavery but it is obviously about heroin.honky tonk about a prostitute, lets spend the night is sleeping out of wedlock.

you don't remember our own cultures in the sixties thats obvious.
    i am the walrus was banned for the one line which went ...'man she's been a naughty girl she let her nickers down'.
    you lot don't know your born!
    you know something ...the masses weren;t realy bothered by not being able to do and say everything and anything they wanted to ...they just got on with it and did it anyway.

what would the chinese people think of a headline like this one i wonder?
    http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=97150
    Aladdin wrote:
    Is this yet another brand/business prepared to accept censorship for the sake of profits?

Stringent censorship unfortunately exists in China, unless the West boycotts China it’s just something it’s got to accept as part of dealing with the present Chinese regime. Anyway thanks to the Daily Mail’s revelations we know a high profile figure did take a stand against China – yet I can’t remember many defending Prince Charles. Anyway the Rolling Stones are mainly playing in China to expat Europeans and Americans I read – it would seem a bit unfair to deprive their fans who’d been looking forward to the concert to make an ineffectual stand against China’s awful regime.
    – it would seem a bit unfair to deprive their fans who’d been looking forward to the concert to make an ineffectual stand against China’s awful regime.
    and why should they anyway?
    i'll bet most of the moaners groaners and whingers buy chinese products.
    Anyway thanks to the Daily Mail’s revelations we know a high profile figure did take a stand against China – yet I can’t remember many defending Prince Charles.
    Is this the same Daily Mail that thinks that computer games are at fault for every murder in the past 10 years and frequently supports banning or censoring of them? The same Daily Mail that has no problem with the BBFC cutting bits out of films that are "too violent?" Funny that they're willing to condemn China for doing the same thing. And Prince Charles has to be against censorship anyway, otherwise his father wouldn't be allowed out of the house.
    and why should they anyway?
    i'll bet most of the moaners groaners and whingers buy chinese products.

True.
    Reality is twisted by the media. Largely sanitised and devalued, it is spoon fed to the public by mainstream editors whose mission is to coerce us into sharing their values. To make us feel good about the way we’re willing slaves for their corporate buddies. Complicit in the rape of planet and people, preparing us gently for a corporate world government. Will the media ever explain how the governments of the West are party-political stitch-ups, apologists and legitimisers, PR and tax managers for the banks?

here in the good old west ...
    Is this the same Daily Mail that thinks that computer games are at fault for every murder in the past 10 years and frequently supports banning or censoring of them? The same Daily Mail that has no problem with the BBFC cutting bits out of films that are "too violent?" Funny that they're willing to condemn China for doing the same thing. And Prince Charles has to be against censorship anyway, otherwise his father wouldn't be allowed out of the house.

What a pointless post. :rolleyes: And er so what? Who said the Daily Mail wasn’t a trashy tabloid? I was merely pointing out that it was the Daily Mail, or it might have been the Mail on Sunday that printed extracts of Prince Charles private diaries – against his wishes it should be pointed out. Anyway it was because of their revelations that the public found out what Charles thought about China and such. I wasn’t making any comment on the Daily Mail itself.

I think you do film studies, I’m surprised therefore that you seem incapable of distinguishing between the BBFC editing violent content and censorship in China, they are not the ‘same thing’ – you really are extremely ignorant. I don’t particularly approve of the BBFC editing films, although they’ve toned down their act a lot in recent years but censoring violence is extremely different to banning independent media and ruthlessly censoring the news. And uh who said the Daily Mail wasn't hypocritical to an extent? Although I can't say I see how the Daily Mail is relevant to censorship in China.
    I think you do film studies, I’m surprised therefore that you seem incapable of distinguishing between the BBFC editing violent content and censorship in China, they are not the ‘same thing’ – you really are extremely ignorant. I don’t particularly approve of the BBFC editing films, although they’ve toned down their act a lot in recent years but censoring violence is extremely different to banning independent media and ruthlessly censoring the news. And uh who said the Daily Mail wasn't hypocritical to an extent? Although I can't say I see how the Daily Mail is relevant to censorship in China.
    I was merely pointing out that censorship exists in this country too, yet people are always willing to bash China for doing the same things that our government do (in many cases supported by things like the Daily Mail). As far as I'm aware, this wasn't a case of political censorship, rather just removing songs with "offensive content." But it wasn't that long ago that films were censored in Europe for political reasons too.
    Still happens. After inviting her to participate, the Vatican banned a singer last year from performing at a festival there because she had indicated she might say a few words in favour of contraception during the gig.
    I was merely pointing out that censorship exists in this country too, yet people are always willing to bash China for doing the same things that our government do (in many cases supported by things like the Daily Mail). As far as I'm aware, this wasn't a case of political censorship, rather just removing songs with "offensive content." But it wasn't that long ago that films were censored in Europe for political reasons too.

Oh right. Well, yes censorship to an extent does exist here but our government does not do the ‘same things’ as China with the support of the likes of the Daily Mail. Were our government doing the ‘same things’ as the Chinese government the editor of the Labour hating Daily Mail would have been jailed ages ago, the ‘newspaper’ would have been forced underground and the only media available would be operated by the state and rigorously censored. Any independent media if not underground would probably be subject to careful self-censorship. Our government is not perfect but I think it’s pretty offensive to persecuted Chinese dissidents to trivialise the crimes committed against them by saying Western governments aren’t much better. Of course there might be odd traits that have the persona of a totalitarian government – such as identity cards but I can assure you that an opponent to the government in this country feels far more comfortable than their persecuted counterpart in China.
    Missouri legislators introduce a bill in January that forbids the sale of records containing lyrics that are violent, sexually explicit or perverse. Similar measures are introduced in 20 other states.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Still happens. After inviting her to participate, the Vatican banned a singer last year from performing at a festival there because she had indicated she might say a few words in favour of contraception during the gig.

Well I'd forgive them if it was Sinead O'Connor but I guess it wasn't...
    have a look at these lists of banned materials and then maybe you might leave the chinese alone a little.

http://ericnuzum.com/banned/
    the stones are in there ...dylan ...zappa.

those of you condeming china ...are actualy dumb enough not to notice your own chains!
    Missouri legislators introduce a bill in January that forbids the sale of records containing lyrics that are violent, sexually explicit or perverse. Similar measures are introduced in 20 other states.
    Refresh my memory... Am I right to say that at the height of McCarthysm in America records by various artists were played backwards in court because some people claimed they contained messages of support for communism or satanism?

I'm sure I've read it somewhere...

While WalMart and such some kind of censorship themselves by only stocking ‘clean’ versions of some albums and refusing to sell FHM I would be extremely surprised if those laws you speak of are enforceable. They’re surely unconstitutional since the First Amendment explicitly states that no law can be made infringing freedom of speech. Hence despite previous attempts by Congress to ban flagburning the Supreme Court declared banning flagburning unconstitutional. (And stated that to make flagburning illegal there would need to be a constitutional amendment – which since that requires a ‘super majority’ in both houses and 2/3 of state legislatures to ratify is extremely unlikely to happen).
    While WalMart and such some kind of censorship themselves by only stocking ‘clean’ versions of some albums and refusing to sell FHM I would be extremely surprised if those laws you speak of are enforceable. They’re surely unconstitutional since the First Amendment explicitly states that no law can be made infringing freedom of speech. Hence despite previous attempts by Congress to ban flagburning the Supreme Court declared banning flagburning unconstitutional. (And stated that to make flagburning illegal there would need to be a constitutional amendment – which since that requires a ‘super majority’ in both houses and 2/3 of state legislatures to ratify is extremely unlikely to happen).
    http://ericnuzum.com/banned/
    It was only 20 years ago when the British didn't have a number one because Aunty Scumbag didn't like it very much.

Songs are still banned if they don't fit into our prevailing political structure. Otherwise I'd be able to sing songs about killing gays and blacks and get it to number one.
    Kermit wrote:
    It was only 20 years ago when the British didn't have a number one because Aunty Scumbag didn't like it very much.

Songs are still banned if they don't fit into our prevailing political structure. Otherwise I'd be able to sing songs about killing gays and blacks and get it to number one.
    yes but many seem to have been suckered into the belief that they have near total freedom.
    wow ...china has censorship of music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shocking:
    at the end of the day ...the chinks get to see a great concert ...and they won't notice any censorship so i realy don't see the big deal.
    at the end of the day ...the chinks get to see a great concert ...and they won't notice any censorship so i realy don't see the big deal.

Yep and frankly imo, censorship always existed and will always exist, it is just more extreme in some countries and in countries like here, europe and states it still exist it's just now call "political correctness"...
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    The USA BANNED The Kinks from performing over there.

I think that is FAR WORSE than FIVE songs. So STFU people. Yes China is bad... but over here in the West we are as bad but not as openly so. We try to hide it under "protection" and other such BS and lies.

It is all the same at the end of the day.

TBH, Meh. Thats all I am gonig to say. Meh, is this REALLY a story at all? Ffs, many Bands cannot perform certain songs live with legal issues being pursued due to their content.

And Either Way, the CD cases their CD's are sold in and probably MADE IN CHINA. So ha, who has the last laugh?
    The Stones sold out years ago, hell Mick's even a Knight FFS.
    The Stones sold out years ago, hell Mick's even a Knight FFS.

Not sure he's sold out or gone back to his roots...

After all his Mum was a member of the Conservative Association and Keith Richard sang in the choir in the Queen's Coronation.

Like many a Rock Group (and indeed they're fans) they sing about being anti-establishment, whilst quite happily being part of it.
    Tru dat.
    Who is rolling stone? :chin:
    achinese wrote:
    Who is rolling stone? :chin:

:lol: you're kidding right?

http://rollingstones.com/
    I guess he is not that popular in china, i never heard him before