Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anti-Semitic Mayor Livingstone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Why does Mayor Ken Livingstone think he can get away with anti-Jewish jibes yet he would never tolerate anyone saying that other minorities "ought to go back to Pakistan, Nigeria" or whatever? Is this showing some deep-rooted anti-Semitism?

"He said: "If they're not happy here, they can go back to Iran and try their luck with the ayatollahs, if they don't like the planning regime or my approach."

Full story here : - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4880862.stm

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It might be offensive or even racist/prejudiced, but it's hardly anti-semitic.

That doesn't make it right of course...
    Um .. ok .. maybe not if it was taken on it's own but when you consider he is still on appeal for the 'Nazi camp guard' jibe, doesn't that arouse suspicions?
    How can using a nazi camp guard as an insult be offensive towards jews?
    Dude, I know you might have issues with me because of the whole Chav thread but I have apologised and moved on ... it seems that the Nazi guard issue was offensive to Jews because they took him to court.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4746016.stm

Lets leave it now, yeah?
    Spliffie wrote:
    How can using a nazi camp guard as an insult be offensive towards jews?
    That's what I thought too.

People are just hearing key words and immediately jumping up excitedly shouting OMG RACIST BIGOT ANTI-SEMETIST WTF!! because they're desperately trying to cause controversy of some sort.

Err, no.

Calling someone a Nazi Guard -whether they're Jewish or not- is offensive to no one except the person being called the name. Not because they're Jewish or whatever, but because Nazis SUCK.

Oh and it's offensive to Nazi Guards. Boo hoo.
    Brave Dave wrote:
    That's what I thought too.

People are just hearing key words and immediately jumping up excitedly shouting OMG RACIST BIGOT ANTI-SEMETIST WTF!! because they're desperately trying to cause controversy of some sort.

But as Livingstone knew that the reporter was Jewish, he would have known that calling him a 'Nazi guard' would stir feelings greater than calling him, say, a 'KGB officer'. As I say, once may be insensitive but twice could be construed as something more ...
    Teagan wrote:
    Dude, I know you might have issues with me because of the whole Chav thread but I have apologised and moved on ... it seems that the Nazi guard issue was offensive to Jews because they took him to court. Lets leave it now, yeah?

I didn't know that was you...not that I'm even attacking you?

If you think those two comments are anti-semitic i'm going to disagree...as i'd do with anyone.

Whoever took him to court over is deranged - that's fairly clear.
    But as Livingstone knew that the reporter was Jewish, he would have known that calling him a 'Nazi guard' would stir feelings greater than calling him, say, a 'KGB officer'.

Perhaps he knew the reporter was a Zionist.
    Spliffie wrote:
    I didn't know that was you...not that I'm even attacking you?

If you think those two comments are anti-semitic i'm going to disagree...as i'd do with anyone.

Whoever took him to court over is deranged - that's fairly clear.

Well, I apologise then ... for the Chav shite and for any offence caused to you on this thread too ... :)
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, I apologise then ... for the Chav shite and for any offence caused to you on this thread too ... :)

You've said nothing remotely offensive on here and the chav stuff was pretty funny - so chill. :cool:
    Teagan wrote:
    But as Livingstone knew that the reporter was Jewish
    No he didn't and he was right not to apologise. There are other threads on that incident if you'd care to do a search.

As for the ayatollah comments, it depends entirely on the context. Ken has been voted in twice to the office of London Mayor because he is a man who speaks his mind and is different from the average politician.

Anti-Semitic is usually a term used to refer to the hatred of Jewish people or the Jewish religion, although it is sometimes used to refer to all Semitic people from that area of the Middle East.
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    IT is just an excuse to pick on Ken, because the Media don't like the fact he is sucessful and the fact people LIKE him and VOTE for him.

OMG, democracy isn't working to wards the media! So what do they do? If KEn so mcuh as opens his mouth "OMG He is an anti-semite?!!?wtf?!roflcopter!!11"

He shouldn't have to take anything back. That reporter was a cunt, and he is right, those folks ARE NOT doing a good job. So fuck them.
    Kentish wrote:
    No he didn't and he was right not to apologise.

You're right. I reread some news sites. Livingstone called him a Nazi before he found out he was Jewish.

For the record, I actually quite like Ken ... he always interviews well on TV.
    Teagan wrote:
    You're right. I reread some news sites. Livingstone called him a Nazi before he found out he was Jewish.
    I know I'm right. So what's this thread all about? :confused:
    Kentish wrote:
    I know I'm right. So what's this thread all about? :confused:

Well, I started it with a wrong opinion. Isn't that what discussions are all about? :confused:
    Teagan wrote:
    Well, I started it with a wrong opinion. Isn't that what discussions are all about? :confused:
    On here, you never admit you have the wrong opinion. ;)
    :blush:
    Teagan wrote:
    Dude, I know you might have issues with me because of the whole Chav thread but I have apologised and moved on ... it seems that the Nazi guard issue was offensive to Jews because they took him to court.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4746016.stm

Lets leave it now, yeah?

Yeh cos he really knew the reporter was a Jew at the time.
    turlough wrote:
    Teagan wrote:

For the record, I actually quite like Ken ... he always interviews well on TV.

I don't think you read the whole thread properly ... I know this now. ;)
    The most important point is that in all cases the person on the end of the "abuse" has been 100% deserving of it.

It's not anti-semitic, its insulting. They deserve to be insulted. What's wrong with that?

What I want to know is who are the people who complained about him this time? Some civil rights movement whingeing abhout the right to be insulting to people who are on the take.

The thing about Ken is that, much as he rails now against the Evening Standard and its owners, he didn't seem so bothered when he was being paid a large amount of money to be its resident restaurant critic...
    Teagan wrote:
    :blush:

You have cool hair av- who could hod anything against you with a flick action like that?
    Aw .. thanks hun! *hugs* ;)
    turlough wrote:

Ken made a stupid and childish remark, anybody who’s listened to the transcript of him slurring his words can tell he’d left this party half pissed. Anyway since you’ve evidently not read the transcript here it is again for your benefit:

Finegold: Mr Livingstone, Evening Standard. How did tonight go?
    Livingstone: How awful for you. Have you thought of having treatment?
    Finegold: How did tonight go?
    Mr Livingstone: Have you thought of having treatment?
    Finegold: Was it a good party? What does it mean for you?
    Mr Livingstone: What did you do before? Were you a German war criminal?
    Finegold: No, I'm Jewish, I wasn't a German war criminal and I'm actually quite offended by that. So, how did tonight go?
    Mr Livingstone: Arr right, well you might be, but actually you are just like a concentration camp guard, you are just doing it because you are paid to, aren't you?
    Finegold: Great, I have you on record for that. So, how was tonight?
    Mr Livingstone: It's nothing to do with you because your paper is a load of scumbags and reactionary bigots.
    Finegold: I'm a journalist and I'm doing my job. I'm only asking for a comment.
    Mr Livingstone: Well, work for a paper that doesn't have a record of supporting fascism.

The fact is nobody whatever their religion deserves to be spoken to like that by their Mayor. Ken could have avoided the whole fiasco by swallowing his pride and apologising – of course Ken might have thought offending Jews would win support among some people...His latest outburst tbh isn't that anti-Semitic, it's just downright xenophobic and racist - his refusal to apologise (again) further proves what a rude twat he is.
    it's just downright xenophobic.

:confused:

Jew is a country now?
    turlough wrote:
    :confused:

Jew is a country now?

:rolleyes:

Read the first post of this thread (Ken's latest remarks). Telling someone to 'go back to Iran' whether they're Iranian or not if not xenophobic is at the very least intolerant and offensive.
    :rolleyes:

Read the first post of this thread (Ken's latest remarks). Telling someone to 'go back to Iran' whether they're Iranian or not if not xenophobic is at the very least intolerant and offensive.

Sorry I thought you were on about the reporter remark. My mistake.

It's not xenophobic anyway, xenophobia is a fear of outsiders. That statement doesn't imply that. It's just bone-headed prejudice.
    turlough wrote:
    Sorry I thought you were on about the reporter remark. My mistake.

It's not xenophobic anyway, xenophobia is a fear of outsiders. That statement doesn't imply that. It's just bone-headed prejudice.

Sorry for rolling eyes. :p

I guess. Tbh I doubt those businessmen in question care, it's just not a very good reflection on London when our Mayor says such stupid things.