Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

used to be good friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There was a girl that I was best mates with for about three years, we were friends almost instantly and used to do everything together.

I moved away to uni and we would talk a couple of times a week on the phone and go out when I went home. She asked me to be her bridesmaid at her wedding and I was really excited, I was on the phone to her one day discussing her hen night and she told me that she didn’t want one - Fair enough. Five min later she rang me back telling me that she had asked someone else to be her bridesmaid because I have loads of friends besides her and its not fair.

I was really upset. I saw her about a month later in a club and she came up to me saying that she was so jealous of my other friends and she was sorry. I tried to accept the apology but I couldn’t, I just couldn’t come up with a nastier thing to do to someone.

Anyway she rang me trying to invite me to her hen night - I didn’t go. She invited me to the wedding, I wasn’t planning on going until a mutual friend said that lots of people had replied to say they went coming, I went because I felt bad, there was practically no one there so I was glad I went (even her bridesmaid left after an hour)

Anyway to get to the point, I'm moving back to my mums after uni in a few weeks, I have got a txt saying "cant wait for you to come home, it will be like old times etc etc" and I cant help feeling like just telling her to fuck off. I feel like such a horrible person for not being able to forgive her but she really hurt me, I felt so let down and did literally cry for days (something that she refuses to believe as I apparently I wasn’t bothered).

I feel sick about going home now, I hate confrontation and know that if she contacts me I will just be all nicey nicey for a couple of weeks then it will all come out in one huge rush.

So am I horrible to tell her to fuck off? Do you think that if I spent some time with her we could be friends again (we did used to be really good mates)?

I think maybe I just wanted to rant
Sorry its so long

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm, well for a start i think you had every right to feel hurt and to be angry. For a girl, i guess there's not many things that are worse than being told you can be your best friends bridesmaid and then being told that they've changed their mind. However, it's been a while now and i think it's time to put this to bed if you want to be best friends with this girl again. Thing is, you have to make that decision - do you want to be friends? If so, then i suggest sitting down with her one last time and telling her how much the whole thing hurt you and tell her you don't expect that of a best friend, and if anything like that happens again, then she can forget it. Then if she takes that, and shows some sort of remorse or gives some kind of apology, it's time to shelve the whole thing so the two of you can move on.

Thing is, i know a similar kind of pain, because my best friend slept with the one girl i loved and actually had a shot at a proper relationship with. The pain is still there sometimes since i've not had any sort of relationship since besides a few meaningless dates, but i know he was sorry and truly meant it and these days we are inseperable whereas she's long gone. Point is, it's an age old cliche but friends is friends, partners come and go. It's just up to you to make that decision whether you want her as a friend and to let the past go.....