Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Living with a boyfriend makes women fat

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Tee hee well that's one plus for being single, stayig trim. No one to share the trim bod with though so...
  • Options
    yeah, seems right...

One of my ex's put on a bit of weight while we were together because of my crap diet sometimes...

I saw her a few months after we split up and she had lost it all again! All my hard work was undone lol :thumb:
  • Options
    I've just read that and thought oh shit, as I have a feeling I might be moving in with my boyfriend after I have finished uni, lucky he actually eats quite healthly, we will just have to see.
  • Options
    Whats the excuse for all the fat single single birds then?
  • Options
    I think it can be true in some cases.

The woman stay slim and care about staying slim until she get a proper relationship, then love can make her confident enoug so she doesn't have to stay that slim as she know her guy won't leave her cos of that as he love her...
  • Options
    I live with my boyfriend and we eat a good balanced diet in general but my problem is that he has Crohn's and so can't eat much at meal times so as I hate to see waste I eat all of mine plus the rest of his so I end up eating far more than I should!
  • Options
    When I lived with my ex I was miserable so I ate more and put on almost 2 stone. Since I got rid of him and am, technically, living with my boyfriend now I'm happier and I've lost all the weight I gained and more.

I understand the thing where people get comfortable and don't have to try as hard to stay slim but I supose it also depends on the person.
  • Options
    Whats the excuse for all the fat single single birds then?
    :lol:

people always put on weight when they're in a relationship, partly because you're content and partly because you go out more for meals and the girl tries to keep up with the guys eating habits.
  • Options
    Lolzabeth wrote:
    I understand the thing where people get comfortable and don't have to try as hard to stay slim but I supose it also depends on the person.
    might also be laziness though. like you don't feel you need to try anymore because you've already got them. sense of security.
  • Options
    Happens to men, too, in my experience...

I never had that problem with my last ex as he had tendencies to eat exclusively at KFC and Burger King. :yuck:

I'd say it had a lot to do with eating as frequently as a lot of blokes do, quantity, snacking...and definitely related to alcohol in many cases. I'd say being in an unhappy relationship would definitely contribute too, unfortunately.
  • Options
    I think this definitely can be true - it is in the way that the other person might not eat healthy food, the way you might go out for more meals, and definitely the portion sizes.

I just came out of a long term relationship and I have noticed a lot of change in the way I eat - I noticed the other night that when i cooked a meal exactly how i wouldve cooked it before, I had my meal plus 2 other meals for leftovers whereas before, the 2 of us wouldve eaten all of it in one go. and lots of unhealthy stuff that he liked, i just dont buy now whereas before, i would buy it for him but also eat it too cos it was there.
    but on the other hand, I sometimes have worse habits, like eating just cheese on toast for days since there doesnt seem a point to cook a whole proper meal just for me, or skipping the meal all together.

the thing about not having to bother anymore cos you already got someone is something too - we were together for 7 years and I certainly no longer thought about whether or not i was trim for him after all that time - but now, the thought of someone new seeing me naked makes me want to run for the gym and the fake tan :p
  • Options
    ive never really been in that situation, but yeah i can see how it happens. one of my mates moved in with her boyfriend aboouut... oooh it must have been 2 years ago now. came out of contact for about a year, and when i DID finally see her again it was a bit of a shock. must have put on at least 2 stone. she seemed happy though and her relationship hadnt suffered or anything.. so its cool
  • Options
    briggi wrote:
    Happens to men, too, in my experience...

True. I put on more than 10Kgs since I am with SCC, but then again I was skinny as hell so it aint bad. Still far from being fat, but gain a lot of muscles tho due to the fact that I have now more activities as before...
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I think it's weird how humans copy each other so much. We kind of replicate, it's odd!

Monkey see, monkey do...
  • Options
    i don't think it's always the case.

with me, my ex boyfriend was quite athletic and looked good so i felt i wanted to do the same so made an effort.

i can see how it'd happen though but personally i wouldn't let myself get that comfortable with someone that i felt uncomfortable with my weight/how i looked.
  • Options
    At my worst I had gained 35 lbs after I met my boyfriend!
    Though the real reason behind it is because I quit coke and ate more than a sandwich a day after I met him :p
    We've had probably a total of 5 meals at home since I"ve met him also.

I've lost 6 of it though :)
  • Options
    welldone. :yes: :D
  • Options
    Whilst I was with my ex, I tended to eat more and put on weight. I tended to eat more when I was staying at his house for a number of days. He would make us bacon sandwiches for breakfast when normally I wouldn't have breakfast, he would make us something large and unhealthy for lunch when I would only usually have a sandwich then another large unhealthy meal for tea. I suppose I adopted his bad eating habits when I stayed with him to be honest. I didn't feel guilty for eating any of it because he was eating it all too usually in bigger portions. I also snacked alot too. We tended to eat out alot and eat big meals and we loved going KFC and sometimes we would share a bucket between us! Since we have split, my eating habits have changed so much. My diet is much better now.
  • Options
    Ahh I'm not so sure.... maybe the ideas are common sense, but in honesty, I practically live with my boyfriend, and I eat ten time healthier than he does... I force fed him lettuce the other day..... and he knows that if he cooks for me, she always knows to make me something healthy while he eats his greasy icky food.... Maybe it's a bit of a generalisation, or am I just a one off?
  • Options
    That's why I'll be doing most of the cooking. I tend to live off salads and sandwiches anyway, and the only takeaways I go for are MacD or to the chippy.
  • Options
    I'd have thought people are more likely to put on weight through eating as compensation for being single.
  • Options
    I put on about 6kg in the 6 mths since meeting nmm, mainly because of eating more, and later at night. Not the same sort of stuff as i used to eat either. went through a phase where we`d be eating loads of icecream in the evenings, or just me making more yummy foods for him, and then eating more myself too.
    Also the fact that i dont make myself sick hardly ever now, whereas i was doing it a lot more before i met him. Im starting to lose the weight again now though cos it was pissing me off so im dieting.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote:
    I'd have thought people are more likely to put on weight through eating as compensation for being single.
    compensation?? i'm sure most single people are quite happy.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    compensation?? i'm sure most single people are quite happy.

i used to dislike being single, made me miserable as i thought the grass was greener and crap. plus i went through a string of lads and none of them worked out so it made me miserable. then i got with my boyfriend (my first one!) and then when we split up..i've realised being single isn't all that bad and i actually enjoy it. i mean i loved being with him, but i love being by myself too. not everyone enjoys being single. :)
  • Options
    not everyone enjoys being single. :)
    i know they don't. i've seen enough depressive threads on here that people start moaning about being single.
    but i know a lot of people who actually choose to be single. they have guys or girls after them and they just don't want relationship at the moment. the amount of people that say to me 'why are you single??' as if im abnormal and should be in a relationship just because some people fancy me. don't get me wrong, i have had some great relationships and have felt really happy when in them. but i feel really happy right now too.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i know they don't. i've seen enough depressive threads on here that people start moaning about being single.
    but i know a lot of people who actually choose to be single. they have guys or girls after them and they just don't want relationship at the moment. the amount of people that say to me 'why are you single??' as if im abnormal and should be in a relationship just because some people fancy me. don't get me wrong, i have had some great relationships and have felt really happy when in them. but i feel really happy right now too.

yeh it's weird, before i got with my ex bf i always wanted a relationship. now i've had one i'm not bothered about having another! wasn't trying to say you didn't know not everyone was happy being single. :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    but i know a lot of people who actually choose to be single.

Well, it's alright if you're not too much of a munter to fuck around.

I couldn't imagine eating any more in a relationship, but I have the metabolism of a shrew anyway (minus the taste for insects).
  • Options
    I eat like a combine harvester and can't leave my 55kg (I am 178cm).
    When i am a bit moody I tend to eat very little for a period of time, still I don't lose weight.

Wish I could gain weight, so there would be something to turn into muscles.
    No chance baby. Wish I knew the answer to this mystery.
  • Options
    this reminds me of a joke i heard the other week,

why are single women slimmer than married women?

cos single women come home, see whats in the fridge and go to bed, married women come home, see whats in the bed and go to the fridge :lol:
  • Options
    I put on about 6kg in the 6 mths since meeting nmm, mainly because of eating more, and later at night. Not the same sort of stuff as i used to eat either. went through a phase where we`d be eating loads of icecream in the evenings, or just me making more yummy foods for him, and then eating more myself too.
    Also the fact that i dont make myself sick hardly ever now, whereas i was doing it a lot more before i met him. Im starting to lose the weight again now though cos it was pissing me off so im dieting.
    I don't mean to be nosy, but if you don't mind telling us, how did you two meet?