Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Work Uniform?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everybody I'm new on here and just thought I'd start a thread about something I was wondering about. Who all wears a uniform to work? What is it like and do you enjoy wearing it?

I work in Boots the Chemist and we have a very strict uniform policy. We (the females) have to wear a pair of smart dark trousers and a white nylon tunic type top that you might expect a nurse to wear. It has dark blue edging and buttons up the front, its quite long and can be a bit restrictive when moving around the shop. We aren't allowed to wear anything on top of the uniform so it can be quite cold in the winter and being all white it becomes stained very easily leading to managers getting angry with us. Not forgetting we also have to wear a name badge. Wearing a uniform can be useful as it protects your own clothes and gives you a sense of pride about your work, its just that mine isn't practical!

Any one else have problems with the uniform they have to wear?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No uniform. I mostly lounge about in a dressing gown whilst I'm working- oh the glamour! lol. I do remember wanting to work in the body shop once, and then promtly changing my mind when I heard a rumour that you had to wear five items of make-up, yeouch- talk about late for work every day...
    I have a uniform, but not an overly strict one. It sort of depends what I'm doing. I can wear anything on the botton half, and half to wear a maroon polo shirt with the university name and my job title on it if I'm doing tours/open days. Sexy. I also have a swearshirt the same, but never wear it as I look like an american football player in it due to to the huge shoulders. I also have a light blue polo short to wear when I'm doing work with pre-16 kids, because its slightly different. If I'm in the office or on reception cover, I can wear anything that looks reasonably smart.

All of this must be accompanied by my sexy magnetic name badge.
    In my job now i just wear what a want as i work from home. In the new job i've got to wear a uniform of blue shirt with pencil navy skirt and navy sweater. It's quite good really as blue i can cope with, red or orange i'd have been struggling not to look like death warmed up :)
    i have no dress code at work, which suits me down to the ground. i can wear whatever pleases me :hyper:

well, if i turned up in a t-shirt printed with "<managing director's name> sucks cocks in hell" they might not be too chuffed, but other than that i'm good to go.
    I get the fun of the McDonald's uniform. It's not *too* bad, but I refuse to wear the trousers they gave me, as they're sooooooooo uncomfortable. Black shirt, black hat, both with silver M on it, silver necktie thing, black trousers, black closed-toe shoes. I can wear trainers, even, as long as they're black. Woop.

Oh, and must not forget the hairnet >.<.
    White shirt, black trousers, hairnet, apron and hat.
    Dont have one! Can get anyway with most stuff as long its smart/casual.
    i have a groovy purple checked blouse and black trousers, with a groovy navy tabard with co-op on it. gggrrrr i hate the uniform!
    Ive got just black trows, and some bright coloured shirt, usually covered by a huge red fleece, likely youve all been to argos an know how it goes. Not that bad though, could be worse i guess
    Debenhams uniform - black jacket and trousers, purple shirt. Fits wonderfully and I'm actually happy to wear it.

Worst uniform I ever had to wear was at Buckingham Palace - ankle length navy blue skirt, white shirt, wasitcoat and blazer - and this was in July - September.
    tesco uniform. c'mon, you all know it!

i chose the blue checked shirt over the red one as the red one is poo.

i have the knee length skirt as the trousers are so ill-fitting it's not even funny. the skirt is up around my rib cage.
    tesco uniform. c'mon, you all know it!

i chose the blue checked shirt over the red one as the red one is poo.

i have the knee length skirt as the trousers are so ill-fitting it's not even funny. the skirt is up around my rib cage.

I just wear my own trousers ;)
    Our office is smart/casual unless you are deadling with clients. We have casual Fridays, so people just wear whatever they want.
    beans wrote:
    I just wear my own trousers ;)

i wear them sometimes but some of the snooty section managers are like 'where's your work uniform lucy?'. i think it's easier on the shopfloor as they're not so bothered about appearence and plus it'd be hard working in a skirt when you're stacking shelves etc.
    I wear anything I like.

3's good like that at t'call centre. :D
    i wear black trousers, black shirt, black pinny, black shoes.

they have just changed our shirt from a cream, ble and tan stripey one :yuck:
    At me night job. I have to wear Black trousers with flat black shoes. Then depending on what night it is we have to wear either our black redbull shirt or our really tacky black polo t-shirt with Precious on it+redbull.

Me new job at curves, I just have to wear black tracky bottoms. Purple Curves t-shirt and navy fleece and me trainners. Can't complain really. I love it infact. haha :)
    Black trousers, white shirt, tie, apron
    I have to wear a shirt and tie. Big deal.
    very boring uniform. black shoes, black trousers, black shirt with stella logo on the sleeve.
    Royal blue polo top with Co-op 'swift shop' logo, royal blue fleece with same logo. Navy blue minging Co-op trousers, but I gave them away to someone else and instead wear a nice smart pair of black trousers. Name badge on fleece and polo top. Shoes - I used to wear blue trainers but the new manager makes us wear black proper shoes now.
    Uniform consists of: Trainers [any colour & from our company only] Tracksuit bottoms [brand specific & navy] and red brand specific polo shirt.

I LOVE my uniform :D
    1983 wrote:
    I wear anything I like.

3's good like that at t'call centre. :D

you mean three have a UK based call centre :shocking:
    No uniform for me. Can wear whatever I want when i go to the office, can even go dress as a homeless guy noone cares...
    I work at asda so have a discusting green top and black trousers. Although its meant to be changing to be a little less discusting, we will see.
    I hate the top, i hate green and it really isn't my colour at all.
    MrG wrote:
    you mean three have a UK based call centre :shocking:

Haha, three floors! One for Republic of Ireland customers, one for Retailers and one for outbound upgrade sales.

I'm gonna be moving to the Republic of Ireland floor a week this Monday cause I can't sell for shit. Ha.
    I wear a green Paramedic Uniform for one of my jobs and yucky green with a bright yellow jacket and for my other job I have a lovely purple nurses uniform!
    My uniform sounds like what blubell(the topic ctarter) described. I dont work at Boots though, I work for Alliance Pharmacy(Moss Chemists), but theyre soon to be merging with Boots anyway.
    If u get cold,wear a t-shirt underneath your top, thats what i do.
    I have to wear black trousers, and a shirt provided by my work HOWEVER, they decided to only provide me with one shirt, even though i work 4days a week, sometimes a night shift then a morning leaving NO time to wash it. Very frustrating. So once to make a point i brought it in extra dirty i just didnt bother trying to wash it and i was allowed to wear a black top. much prefered it but they STILL didnt give me another shirt. Apparently, when they get enough shirts to give all 30 of the staff new shirts then i can have one, oh and they only can afford to buy 3 shirts a month!!! raaaaaaaaa
    sorry know thats not totally related to the thread.

Also very frustrating, i wear my uniform properly, and if its a cold and i wear a top underneath u cant see it, yet if the back of my shirt is untucked or creased i'm told off, yet half the staff wear long tops under all different colours, ripped shirts, untucked shirts and no one says anythignsoooooo annoying!
    Tweety wrote:
    I work at asda so have a discusting green top and black trousers. Although its meant to be changing to be a little less discusting, we will see.
    I hate the top, i hate green and it really isn't my colour at all.

Ditto.

I quite suit green though and I actually do like that colour, just that, that amount of colour is too much, especially if you've got the fleece and the tshirt on!

Do you wear the black pants they provide? I wear my own cos they're well bad fitting, tesco must get their uniform made at the same place as asda do. hehe.
This discussion has been closed.