Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Looking for peoples experience.....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all.

To be honest, I'm looking for peoples experience over advice, to do with contraception. I know that everyones different (as my unhelpful doctors surgery just reminded me) but I suppose I'm just looking for some clearer understanding before I go back to them next week and serve them merry hell on a platter.

I went on Microgynon 30 (Combined Pill) around March last year. It sent me round the bend and back again, I wa smoody, and weight started to pile on. The weight was the most worrying, so I went to my nurse. She switched me to another pill (which I've today found out is the lowest dosage avalible). The mood problems went away instantly, but the weight is still piling on. I have gone from just under 9 stone to 11 in this time, with constant exercising and healthy eating plans.

I went to the doctors today because it seems apparent to me that the combined pill is not working for me. The stand in nurse refused to listen to any of the information I knew and refused to change anything til my regular nurse came back (what a waste of my lunch time). She suggested the Progestrone only pill.

Since theres the whole 3 hour window with taking that, and I'm a bit absent minded, I asked if the injection, implant or the patch would be a better option, since I could clearly see on the wall that those were progestrone also. She shushshushed me (wasn't impressed - I haven't been shushshushed for well over 13 years, since I was a toddler) and told me to come back next week.

I've just checked through the pages on TheSite, and to be honest, the patch, implant or injections (though they're hell set on not giving me those) seem better for me to try. Does anyone have experience that might help?

Just realised what a rant this is, sorry!

Comments

• Options
    Well, being a man and all means I can't really help you. But I can give you the name of my doctor - I've found him to be superbly wonderful :).
  • Options
    id wait til your appointment with your nurse, and then tell her how unhelpful the other nurse was. Also, any chance you can get in with the actual GP before her??
    sorry, i cant give u any info on those other forms of contraception.
  • Options
    id wait til your appointment with your nurse, and then tell her how unhelpful the other nurse was.

They're all unhelpful. They're a generally crap doctors surgery. I went to one GP with back pain and he asked me to try and bend over and touch my toes. And just a few weeks ago another tried to give me pencillin (it says plainly at the top of his records in thick black marker I'm fatally allergic, or something like that).
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    have you thought about an IUD?

Yes and no. The idea of it being put in puts me off. But when talking to them, they said due to my family medical history it wouldn't be ideal. But saying that they've come out with plenty of crap.

I'm sort of leaning towards trying either the patch or the implant. The injection puts me off because the whole, if theres any side effects you need to wait 3 months (and I'm a little scared of needles), but I don't want this ridiculous weight gain to suddenly speed up...
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    Condoms are an option, but I think me and my boyfriend are a little put off as we know several friends who've become pregnant or theyir girlfriend has.... and we just don't want to risk the whole thing. Plus, as it takes me an hour to get to my doctors surgery, and the family planning clinic is only open at the same time im working, we'd either have to buy them, or wait until one of us was avalible tog et there... and I don't think we trust ourselves not to just risk it. I'd feel safer with something else long term.
  • Options
    I had lots of problems on the combined pill too - similar to the ones you have written about so I went on the Progestrone only pill. I had no side effects from it at all (although it does not regulate your periods like the combined pill, can make them more irregular instead) and it was not too too difficult to take it at the same time each night, i just set an alarm on my watch to remind me.

I am interested though in maybe trying the patch since remembering once a week would be so much easier (and safer i think) than every day. But isnt the patch the same hormones as the combined pill? and therefore would it give the same side effects like the moodiness and weight gain (i put on 10kg in 3 months on the combined pill :crying: ) ?
  • Options
    intrepide wrote:
    I had lots of problems on the combined pill too - similar to the ones you have written about so I went on the Progestrone only pill. I had no side effects from it at all (although it does not regulate your periods like the combined pill, can make them more irregular instead) and it was not too too difficult to take it at the same time each night, i just set an alarm on my watch to remind me.

I am interested though in maybe trying the patch since remembering once a week would be so much easier (and safer i think) than every day. But isnt the patch the same hormones as the combined pill? and therefore would it give the same side effects like the moodiness and weight gain (i put on 10kg in 3 months on the combined pill :crying: ) ?

See I wondered that.... but according to about a zillion websites weight gain is not an issue... and thats my main side effect. I can handle the hormones of the combined pill, its just Microgynon was a evil one. But I've known loads of girls try that and come off it because of what it does to them.