Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

PDA's between people of the same sex...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I was thinking last night... Do people find it offensive?

I don't mean the whole putting your hands down your partner's pants, or getting off with them at three thirty on a sunday afternoon in a pub full of people having lunch, but a kiss and cuddle in a corner in the evening... About what is acceptable for opposite sex couples.

I'm asking this in reflection of an experience from last night really... I always noticed how same sex couples outside of gay clubs don't seen to... Well, act couply. Perhaps this is because they are frightened of offending people? Or getting beaten up?

Sad really...

Comments

• Options
    \
  • Options
    I find it offensive if any couple whether straight or gay goes around gropping each other or "getting off with them at three thirty on a sunday afternoon in a pub" as an example.

But holding hands, a little kiss and cuddle in the corner or lying next to each other on a blanket in the park on a summers day is fine for any couple.

So I'm not totally against PDA's, but I think consideration should be shown to the other people in the pub, on the bus/tube or who are walking in the park.
  • Options
    Acts of affection are fine between any couple

Acts of lust or sexual acts warrant discretion (between any couple)

To me there is no difference between a homosexual couple and a heterosexual couple giving PDA's. In fact, I think homosexual couples take a bit more guts, so if anything it makes me smile more
  • Options
    Little_one wrote:
    I find it offensive if any couple whether straight or gay goes around gropping each other or "getting off with them at three thirty on a sunday afternoon in a pub" as an example.

But holding hands, a little kiss and cuddle in the corner or lying next to each other on a blanket in the park on a summers day is fine for any couple.

So I'm not totally against PDA's, but I think consideration should be shown to the other people in the pub, on the bus/tube or who are walking in the park.
    Oops, I meant a discreet kiss and cuddle in the evening.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    i sometimes see it, like in the trafford centre for example. and i just think it's cute and nice that they can do that in todays society :)
  • Options
    Oops, I meant a discreet kiss and cuddle in the evening.

That's what I thought you meant too, I don't mind that either. I just hate it when you are forced to watch two people, whatever their sex eatting each other's face, when I'm trying to eat or there is young children around. I'm not being funny but everything has a time and a place, showing affection outside a gay bar/club is fine, as it is unlikely that anyone who would be offended but that sort of behaviour would be around. I think people should just use a bit of common sense when it comes to PDA's.

I'm not sure if i'm expressing myself very well today, I had quite and emontionally draining day yesterday.
  • Options
    i was on the train the other day and this straight couple sitting right in front of me were engaged in some pretty advanced foreplay for the entire duration of my hour long journey - lots of noisy, slurpy snogging, followed by her moaning and giggling while he was practically eating her neck - i don't know if this makes me terribly old fashioned, but i found that rather hideous to behold, and entirely inappropriate behaviour for a public place. it was fortunate i hadn't eaten for a few hours, or i would have projectile vomited my lunch all over the pair of them.

that kind of behaviour i find a bit inconsiderate for any one, straight or gay to do in public. in general, i think the rule on what is an appropriate PDA is exactly the same regardless of your sexual orientation, so that gay people holding hands, cuddling, kissing etc in public is fine, because it's equally fine when straight people do it. anything more than that is revolting no matter who's doing it, imo.

Thats just what I'm/was trying to say. Thanks.
  • Options
    \
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me.
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me...

But once I've been to a squat party and 2 drunk punk gay guy came along and have a chat with me and my mates, no problem there, didn't bother me, but we they started sucking each other tits at barely a foot from us, well we decided to move and go look somewhere else...
  • Options
    doesnt bother me for either sex, unless im trying to actually have a conversation with them at the time.
    They should stop snogging for that.
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me either.
  • Options
    I'm asking this in reflection of an experience from last night really... I always noticed how same sex couples outside of gay clubs don't seen to... Well, act couply. Perhaps this is because they are frightened of offending people? Or getting beaten up?

A bit of both no doubt, and probably the desire to avoid drawing attention as well.

Couldn't really give a fuck personally. I find the sight of gay men kissing disgusting, but then again ugly heterosexuals aren't much better. Gay or straight, some people just take it too far.
  • Options
    not bothered either way really. though i find any two people getting it on in a sexual way in a public place a bit erk. but maybe im old fashioned, since im often all over my girlfriend (i try to be discrete)

anyway. not sure why it makes any difference whether its gay or not. i dont like the idea of gay culture and segregation in that way, but thats just me.
  • Options
    I think it's cute. Although when it gets a bit ott, I find it really a bit much for both same-sex and opposite-sex couples. I guess I could be a bit of a hypocrite, cause the boy and moi are quite often a bit...yeh....when we're out, but if I can see it's bothering people, I try and stop him (not always successfully, but meh).

One of my friends has been with his boyfriend for a couple of months, and he's scared to show any kind of affection towards him in public, because he thinks people will jump them or something. I don't like that he thinks that, because he shouldn't. If I can hold my boyfriend's hand in public without being scared I'll be jumped on, why the fuck can't he?
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me at all.

What does annoy me is 15 year old emo kids snogging in the crisps aisle at work for aaages where I can't get away from them because I am chained to the till ... but that's nothing to do with this :grump: