Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Girlfriend's birthday present

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This is the first time I'll ever be with a girl on her birthday, so I need a bit of advice. We're 22 (well, she will be) and it's been 6 months, all going well. So I want to make it something pretty good and I was thinking of getting her booked for a massage at a beauty salon. Nothing sleazy!! Good idea? Bad idea? Advice? I've pretty much ruled out jewellery btw.

Comments

• Options
    That is one of the better ideas. ;) I'll have to bear that in mind when I've got a girlfriend again...
  • Options
    i would be very impressed if a bloke thought of that. but i would also want something to keep so make sure the card is assez romantic :p
  • Options
    Good idea... just make sure she doesn't get the massage by a sexy man tho :p
  • Options
    Heh this did occur to me! OK, the feedback's been pretty good, ta for that. I was always gonna get her something tangible as well so I think I'll go for it. Thanks. :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    i would be very impressed if a bloke thought of that. but i would also want something to keep so make sure the card is assez romantic :p

:yes: Never forget the card.

An ex of mine never bought me a valentines card, birthday card or christmas card. He didn't believe in cards and thought they were a waste of money.

Its always nice to have something nice to keep like that though, something thats really personal.
  • Options
    A massage sounds like a lovely idea. Like others have said, do not forget about the card.
  • Options
    i would love it if my man got me a massage for my birthday, so it sounds like a great birhtday pressy, go for it!!
  • Options
    i would love it if my man got me a massage for my birthday, so it sounds like a great birhtday pressy, go for it!!

:D
  • Options
    I don't think I would like it actually...sorry don't wanna burst your bubble just my opinion. I'd rather have something that had meaning to the relationship like something that is a joke between you both, or even just a nice day out with a walk in the park. Nothing too flashy.

You know her best though so I'm sure she'll love it, and I wish I had had such a thoughtful boyfriend...actually any boyfriend would do right now! :banghead:
  • Options
    and I wish I had had such a thoughtful boyfriend...actually any boyfriend would do right now! :banghead:

SNAP :(
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    An ex of mine never bought me a valentines card, birthday card or christmas card. He didn't believe in cards and thought they were a waste of money. Its always nice to have something nice to keep like that though, something thats really personal.
    That would explain the reaction of my ex (obviously not my ex at the time!) when I gave her a present, but not a card.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That would explain the reaction of my ex (obviously not my ex at the time!) when I gave her a present, but not a card.

Tut-tut
  • Options
    Tut-tut
    I've changed, honest! :flirt: ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    It depends on the girl to be honest. For me though, a card with some thoughtful words written down inside is much more meaningful to me than for example, a bunch of roses. I mean, I'm not going to lie. I love presents (what girl doesn't?) but cards do mean alot of me. Its something I can look at when I'm down. Its something I can look at to know that someone cares about me. To be honest, I think if a guy can't even be bothered to write a card then he quite simply isn't worth it.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    It depends on the girl to be honest. For me though, a card with some thoughtful words written down inside is much more meaningful to me than for example, bunch of roses. I mean, I'm not going to lie. I love presents but cards do mean alot of me. Its something I can look at when I'm down. Its something I can look at to know that someone cares about me. To be honest, I think if a guy can't even be bothered to write a card then he quite simply isn't worth it.
    That's me in your bad books, then. :(:p

What kind of words are "thoughtful"? Hopefully not "I love you so, so much with all my heart forever" or something equally as nauseating.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    What kind of words are "thoughtful"? Hopefully not "I love you so, so much with all my heart forever" or something equally as nauseating.

Nothing like that no. I don't think there are many guys that would write that kind of stuff out there and to be honest, I would never expect a guy to write something like that.

Asking for a card though just saying "Love from *name* xxx" isn't much to ask for though is it? Just something to let you know that they care.

I'm probably being silly but an ex of mine that did this really hurt my feelings. I would have always exchanged the presents he gave me for a birthday/valentines/christmas card. It always felt like he couldn't be arsed to write out a simple card.
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Asking for a card though just saying "Love from *name* xxx" isn't much to ask for though is it? Just something to let you know that they care.
    That, I'm fine with writing. :p
    ...an ex that did this really hurt my feelings. I would have always exchanged the presents he gave me for a birthday/valentines/christmas card. It always felt like he couldn't be arsed to write out a simple card.
    Three of my friends are having birthdays this month... I'd better start writing in those cards now!
  • Options
    When it comes to cards, make sure she likes them in the first place. I'm sure you'll know by now if she does or not. For me, cards are a pointless waste of lameness as they are for quite a few people.

But the salon idea sounds wonderful. :heart:
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    That, I'm fine with writing. :p Three of my friends are having birthdays this month... I'd better start writing in those cards now!

It doesn't bother me if my friends don't buy me cards! Just boyfriends to be honest.

Like myname has just said, alot of people don't like receiving cards. I don't know why I even bothered writing my ex birthday/valentines/christmas cards when he didn't even believe in them. He was willing to receive them but wasn't willing to make the effort to write some himself :yeees:

Anyways, to the original poster, the salon idea sounds like a great idea. I'm sure she will love it :thumb:
  • Options
    *Stacey* wrote:
    Like myname has just said, alot of people don't like receiving cards. I don't know why I even bothered writing my ex birthday/valentines/christmas cards when he didn't even believe in them. He was willing to receive them but wasn't willing to make the effort to write some himself
    The only thing I don't like about cards is, what the hell do you do with them afterwards? Until recently, I had Christmas cards that I'd received back in 2001 in my bedroom. The only ones I've now got are Christmas and birthday cards from last year, plus two Valentine's cards from this year. I've no idea who sent one of them, but that's a story for another day. :p
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote:
    The only thing I don't like about cards is, what the hell do you do with them afterwards? Until recently, I had Christmas cards that I'd received back in 2001 in my bedroom. The only ones I've now got are Christmas and birthday cards from last year, plus two Valentine's cards from this year. I've no idea who sent one of them, but that's a story for another day. :p

I keep more meaningful ones. I.e- 18th birthday or ones from my boyfriend or parents.

Any random xmas cards I dont really keep unless theres a reason to.

Anyway- Im sure she'll LOVE the birthday present :) Its a really nice idea and unique. Most girls like unusual and thoughtful things.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I love cards, and i have hundreds from over the years, and although there away in a drawer, now and again, i like to take them out and have a read.

love the idea of a massage, sounds so relaxing, id quite like one now actually! hehe
  • Options
    Right now I'm worried about this! Got it sorted the other day but I told my mate earlier and he thought it was a bad idea - not boyfriend enough, too much of a mate's present. Dang. I know she likes getting a massage, but maybe this is too impersonal.
  • Options
    But look at how many girls here said that was a great gift, who are you going to believe, one guy friend, or a group of girls. Most gifts are "impersonal" if you really think about it. I still stand by my opinion that its an excelent gift!
  • Options
    It's a good gift :D go with your instinct, you obviously thought it was a good idea when you thought of it!

She'll love it, and if she doesn't, it's just kinda ungrateful :yes:
  • Options
    Ta peeps, I'm going with it. :)
  • Options
    Let us know how she reacts :D