Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Nooooooo!!!!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't disagree with you, I know you can live in Edinburgh for under £300.

I was just giving the Citylets source to the OP as it's the best website for letting listings and showing others how it is not uncommon to spend upwards of £300 in Edinburgh. Simple as.
    I survived in Edinburgh for 4 years on much less than £7500 a year.

EDIT: And I don't understand how your rent is £400 a month unless you are really living in posh accommodation. Average student rent in Edinburgh is between £230 and £270 a month. Even my halls weren't £400 a month.

Things have obviously changed because halls in Edinburgh now cost upwards of 525 a month.

Average rent for private flats is between 275 and 325 depending on where you choose to live.
    I simply don't believe that the city is as expensive as that, bearing in mind that most internet lettings websites tend to cater for more expensive properties for young professionals as opposed to students.

Newcastle is an expensive city, and you'll be paying £100 a week for a top quality flat in Jesmond or Quayside- the desirable and high quality areas.
    I paid 500 quid a month for a room in halls in 2003-04. Prices have since risen and a room in pollock (the main halls at edinburgh - 2000 students) costs up to 575 quid a month. Think the cheapest is between 460 and 500.

Accomadation in private flats depends on where you live, New Town is the favourite for the rich kids and is anywhere between 300 and 500 quid a month. Whereas Marchmont can be between 275 and 340, Newington, Tollcross and elsewhere you can find a room for 250 - 260 if you look around, but prices can still go up to around 300+.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Kermit wrote:
    I simply don't believe that the city is as expensive as that, bearing in mind that most internet lettings websites tend to cater for more expensive properties for young professionals as opposed to students.

Newcastle is an expensive city, and you'll be paying £100 a week for a top quality flat in Jesmond or Quayside- the desirable and high quality areas.

It isn't as expensive as that.

Honestly.

If you want to live in posh parts of town, then it is.

Groovechampion, you were in the halls of residence which means that the 500 pounds was including food and bills and internet. And I wasn't in halls as such, I was in the university-controlled flats. Pollock was always stupidly overpriced.
    Yeah Pollock is overpriced, but seeing as half of 1st years live in pollock and many people don't get to choose, theres no choice for some!
    Well the main reason is that it is so expensive is because I am renting off of my friend's dad. It is us two in the flat. It has two large double bedrooms, two bedrooms, a reception room and large kitchen/ diner, a balcony with barbeque. It is the largest in the new development, which is a mile and a half from the main uni campus so in the centre of town. Tv, new furniture, insurance, phone bills etc are included so it aint that bad.

I didnt really want all this fancy stuff, but my parents would rather i stayed with my friend than in halls. And i have commited to it now, but it is MEE paying for it. Never mind, I have never been that interested in money and material stuff Ill just have to use my savings, and start again after Uni.
    How much is your rent out of interest? When you say insurance, phone bills etc does that include gas/electricity bills? They are often quite steep.
    400 pcm not including gas/ electricity which will be steep in edinburgh brrr its freezing
    talia wrote:
    400 pcm not including gas/ electricity which will be steep in edinburgh brrr its freezing

That's obscene. I know you said your parents want you to live there, but it's your money and you're gonna be so much out of pocket. I'd seriously consider looking elsewhere, unless you want to have no money to enjoy yourself at all.