Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Stretch Marks...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was really unsure where to put this so i wacked it in health!

Right, i've got stretch marks along my bum and thighs and i'm really paranoid about them. i've had them for ages and the boyfriend says theyre hardly noticable blablabla but i still hate them.
iv seriously considered laser treatment on them but unsure whether this is actually worth it! and im pretty sure it would be costly!!
so basically i was just wondernig what actually helps make them less visible? theyre already in the scar state, not the purply lines, i know there is some sort of moisturiser but not sure how good this is?
Sorry if this is abit breif but i'm in a rush!

Thankyouu! xx

Comments

• Options
    Stretch marks are caused by the rapid stretching of the skin, normally through growth spurts in puberty. The skin underneath is torn by the stretch, hence the scar.

There isn't anything you can do about it, really. Using cocoa butter helps as it keeps the skin supple, but once the stretch mark has happened there isn't a right lot to do. Vitamin E is good for the skin.

They're not noticeable, and most people have them somewhere on their body. A lot of girls have them on their hips and breasts, its not normally anything to do with weight either.

Laser treatment would be a waste of time and money.
  • Options
    Use a body lotion with vit E in it, this helps with stretch marks and is cheap and easy to use, I would try this first.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have found bio-oil to be quite good. My pharmacy recommended it.
  • Options
    Neither, both are ridiculously overpriced and made with nothing special.

Go to Boots, get a vitamin E enriched moisturiser. It doesn't cost much, certainly not what those shysters are charging.
  • Options
    kermits right, but also, try doing exercises to firm up your skin in those areas. If the part of your body is toned it will be less wobbly+so the stretch marks will be less noticable.
  • Options
    Bio Oil is good for fading stretch marks as is Cocoa Butter. Both are quite expensive though.
  • Options
    I completely feel your pain Nat, i use to have them really bad when i was younger, like at 14-16, i am talking deep red lines, i looked like someone had battered my legs! they are still there but have faded now, to be honest there isnt much you can do........ just moisturiser, i find creams like nivia or badedas are good and also what Sugar mouse said, toning up does help visabilty, the worse though is when i am holiday, its like the marks dont tan and they are just more noticable in the sun!!

I have never thought about laser treatment and not sure of the prices but if i had the dosh i would definately get it done!
  • Options
    In a group conversation on msn once a mate recomended Anything that has vitamin E or Cocoa butter in it too be good, she uses it and says it works well.

Ive got dozens of stretch marks but the whole time my boyfriend doesnt say anything I wont do anything about it. They are part of being a woman I reckon!
  • Options
    I have stretch marks on my hips, don't know when I got them they were just there one day. I've never put a significant amount weight on or anything so don't really get it. They honestly do not worry me at all, I'm sure yours are no where near as bad as you imagine and your boyfriend has already said theres nothing wrong with them.

Don't waste your money on creams. I know thats easy for me to say and obviously they're getting you down but I'd say 90% of us have them so please don't worry yourself about it. xx
  • Options
    everyones got them.
  • Options
    thanks for the replys! think im going to get some of that cocoa butter stuff. i know everyone gets them but it doesnt stop me being paranoid about them! it doesnt get me down or everything, just want them to goo!! thankyou anyway! xx
  • Options
    everyones got them.
    Really?
    I've only ever known one of my girlfriends to have them.
    They're not that nice, but I can't say it's anything that would ever put me off. You're boyfriend obviously doesn't mind otherwise he wouldn't want to see you naked.

I would suggest using cream, whether they do much or not, it's good for oyur skin anyway and it will make you feel better (like you're at lesat doing something rather than nothing).

The common thoughts here though are that there not really a big deal, so try not to get too worked up over them! :)
  • Options
    i have really bad ones on my thighs :( ones on outer thighs have faded to white so arent so bad, but the ones on my inner thighs are bloody awful. really red and noticeable.

i understand why i have the white ones because i put a load of weight on a few years back - but the others have come up fairly recently. lost about 2 stone last year and im guessing thats whats caused them. they are soo nasty. dread going out in a swimming cossie in the summer!!
  • Options
    yup, i've got them.

i guess there must be some people that don't have them, but i think pretty much every girl i know does.

you can get cheap raw cocoa butter and shea butter from places like this: http://www.meltandpoursupplies.com/ingredients.htm to either rub on neat (but it can get really greasy) or mix it with normal moisturiser in your hands :)
  • Options
    I look like a map of england :(
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    I look like a map of england :(

im more like a zebra :impissed:
  • Options
    Many people have said bio oil is meant to be really good, i will try it one day.
  • Options
    Hi Nat

As other users have said stretch marks are very common. Check out what TheSite factsheets offers for advice.

Stretch Stress

An end to stretchmarks?