Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Uni Lectures

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok :D hmm this maybe a really odd question but was just chatting to Mystifymysoul about uni lectures and stuff.

Was just wondering what are they like? What actually goes on?

You see on tv etc just some dude chatting and people taking notes, is that what its really like?

Suppose it depends on the subject, was just wondering. Odd question but meh :p
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    GoodFella wrote:
    Ok :D hmm this maybe a really odd question but was just chatting to Mystifymysoul about uni lectures and stuff.

Was just wondering what are they like? What actually goes on?

You see on tv etc just some dude chatting and people taking notes, is that what its really like?

Suppose it depends on the subject, was just wondering. Odd question but meh :p

Mine used to be like that - sitting and taking note while someone was talking to you.

Tutorials and seminars are different as they are in smaller groups so they are more question/answer sort of thing.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    in my course there are only 14 people. we have one lecture in a big hall (taking notes etc while teacher talks) but the rest take place in smaller classrooms. i guess it depends on what course youre on and how many people are on it as to where your lectures take place and what happens in them!
    it depends what module its for

most of them are sit and take notes, the size of the room depends on the size of the class.
    because im doing a science subject i also have labs, there informal in as much as, talk to the lecturer and ask questions throughout if you need to.

im the only person on my course, so from the begining there have always been modules that are only compulsary for me, however until this year i i have managed to avaoid being the only person taking them.

its very strange having a 2 hour lecture on your own in the lecturers office, its not very formal because theres no reason for me to not but in and ask questions as im not disturbing anyone else. (he's sexy tho so its not that bad :p)
    you're the ONLY person on your course?! wow! at our univeristy they dont even run some of the modules if not enough people want to take them so there's no way they'd do a whole course for one person!!

like everyones said it depends on your course- we have one lecture a week which is basically 100 of us sat in a lecture theatre watching a power point, listening to the lecturer and taking notes. the rest of our time is spent in seminars where there are about 30 of us and we do group activities and stuff.
    Kat_B wrote:
    you're the ONLY person on your course?! wow! at our univeristy they dont even run some of the modules if not enough people want to take them so there's no way they'd do a whole course for one person!!

like everyones said it depends on your course- we have one lecture a week which is basically 100 of us sat in a lecture theatre watching a power point, listening to the lecturer and taking notes. the rest of our time is spent in seminars where there are about 30 of us and we do group activities and stuff.

it might be a combined course where part of it is the same as one course and another part is part of another.

just a theory :)
    Most of my lectures are the traditional ones.
    But had a module where it was basically made up of discussion, and have one now, where the lecturer frequently asks questions and for opinions.
    I'm heading to univ next year, but i think i'm lucky because my economics teacher has been giving us lectures trying to prepare us for univ.....the only thing is he talks kind of slow and repeats important points. Would they do that in a university lecture?
    i always thought lecture theatres would be full of people being asleep and frantically writing down notes in short hand whilst sprawled accross the chairs with a coffee. when i got to uni it was a bit different. noone frantically scribbles down notes because our lectures put them on the virtual campus so if they're going too fast you can print them off.

generally a lecturer just stands at the front behind a stand thing and talks. most of the time they put a powerpoint presentation up.
    Kat_B wrote:
    yeh, i do environmental biology,

i do some environmental modules and some biology modules.

there are some that are compulsary for me and not for other people. this is one of them. i cant have my degree without the module and its not on anyone elses module list so its just me and the lecturer
    umm well i hav'nt been to any in ages but from what I can remember lectures are a waste of time on my course (seriously).

We have all the info we need in course books and t'internet
    mine were

sit down, get stuff out, lecturer talks, people take notes and one or 2 talk to lecturer after
    Basically they hand out powerpoint print offs/notes of everything you need to know with reccommended reading. Then they stand there and basically read through the handout they've given you. Some are better than others for using examples and making sure that everyone understands, but generally the format is the same for all lectures.
    i have lectures where there is a full ampitheatre of people. the lecture notes are given to us at the start and then the lecturer uses those notes on powerpoint as bulletpoints for what he's talking about. they usually last 50mins.

i have management seminars which contain about 30 people and we all discuss case studies in groups and then present answers to the rest of the class.

i have french language seminars containing about 12 people and we all take notes from the teacher and discuss things -all in french.

then my language class of about 10 poeple where we take it in turns to do french presentations and then debate on them.

can't wait to finish :|