Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

how often are you supposed to eat?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Says it all really. I'm just wondering, how long are you supposed to leave between meals?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote:
    Says it all really. I'm just wondering, how long are you supposed to leave between meals?
    You should probably leave 4 hours between meals to allow the stomach to process its contents.
    Kentish wrote:
    You should probably leave 4 hours between meals to allow the stomach to process its contents.

I never go more than 2 hours without eating something. Though I'm not gaining any weight so who cares.
    between breakfast and lunch its nearly 6 hours for me
    Ballerina wrote:
    As long as you're not losing or gaining weight excessively I wouldn't worry too much. Having 5 portions of fruit and veg a day is more important than the exact timing of your meals, or how many times you eat.
    i eat when im hungry
    I eat all day, just small meals but I'm always eating.

I'm just a size 10/12 so obviously hasn't done me any harm, basically I think your body is pretty good at telling you when and what to eat. You just have to know how to listen to it I suppose.
    i usually try and eat at the same time every day. lunch at 12, and dinner at 6. i never have breakfast - never really have done for the last few years. i know breakfast is supposedly the most important meal of the day.. but its never done me any harm not having any.

usually i like to have a little snack inbetween lunch and dinner (and sometimes have pudding after dinner too) , but trying to lose a bit of weight so just sticking with 2 meals now
    i tend to eat little and often....im not a big meals person, i can't stand feeling full and bloated
    Ballerina wrote:
    i tend to eat little and often....im not a big meals person, i can't stand feeling full and bloated

Me too
    i usually only leave a couple of hours between breakfast and lunch and then maybe 5/6 hours between lunch and tea. i guess it depends on the individual really, if you feel like you're having too long a gap between meals, maybe have a snack between them.
    Ballerina wrote:

Same here, depending slightly on when I can be bothered to eat. Do you have a snack of some sort during your break time?
    Blah wrote:
    i eat when im hungry

Same. Thats how it works really :p
    I tend to have some fruit at work at about 9, lunch at 1 and then dinner and 6. Also have some fruit or something else in the evening.
    im a little and often person too but i try not to eat over 500cals during the day and i cant seem to find a good routine while im working.
    Sometimes i have a yoghurt or banana for breakfast. My lunch hour isnt until 1.30pm and i find i get sooo hungry so i try to just snack on dried apricots/cereal/fruit. I dont eat a lot at lunch time, usually cup a soup and ryvita or a chicken/salad sandwich so then i get hungry in the afternoon and i work until 7pm so usually end up giving in to crisp/chocolate/biscuit cravings, and if i do-i eat loads!!
    all of the time. :D:yum::blush:

3 solid meals a day is generally enough. with a bit of snacking inbetween. ;)
    Sikorah wrote:
    im a little and often person too but i try not to eat over 500cals during the day and i cant seem to find a good routine while im working.
    Sometimes i have a yoghurt or banana for breakfast. My lunch hour isnt until 1.30pm and i find i get sooo hungry so i try to just snack on dried apricots/cereal/fruit. I dont eat a lot at lunch time, usually cup a soup and ryvita or a chicken/salad sandwich so then i get hungry in the afternoon and i work until 7pm so usually end up giving in to crisp/chocolate/biscuit cravings, and if i do-i eat loads!!
    woah anorexic.
    500calories a day is starvation. The average adult needs between 2000-2500 calories a day. Also, I've been reading up lots and eating small amounts (as not to overeat) thruout the day keeps your metabolism up. About every 3 or so hours. It keeps your body moving, so then when you work out, you burn even more. And breakfast is the most important don't forget ;)
    Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a queen and dinner like a pauper
    lipsy wrote:
    woah anorexic.
    thats what i thought....if you're so obsessed with keeping weight off then eat more...that way your body will speed up its metabolism and not hang onto food as much.
    Sikorah wrote:

umm...

not a very healthy diet.

by lunch time you're so hungry because you've had a poor breakfast. so if you're hungry why don't you eat something more substantial than a few pieces of dried apricot? and then for tea you have chocolate?
    my_name wrote:
    500calories a day is starvation. The average adult needs between 2000-2500 calories a day.
    yeah but not everyone needs that much. It depends how big you are to start with, and that many calories is to maintain a weight, whereas if I ate that many id gain weight.
    I try and stick to around 1000 - 1500 max, but it feels like im always eating sometimes, I cant go more than a few hours. 500 cals isnt enough. Theres no point in sticking to a diet that makes you feel starving and end up binging by the end of the day anyway, plus its not something anyone could maintain long term, so as soon as you go to normal eating your weight will creep up as its got used to not having as much energy input.
    i could NEVER live off 500 cals a day.. twould be impossible for me. my dinner alone today was 600 :p .. darn meatballs :D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    beans wrote:
    Same. Thats how it works really :p
    :yes:
    Wow!! Hang on!!!! Im not anorexic.

When i said i eat 500cals during the day- i mean while im at work. In the evening i come home and eat a normal meal!! Actually. i eat all night. That why i try not to snack all day long on biscuits and chocolate and stuff.
    Sikorah wrote:
    Wow!! Hang on!!!! Im not anorexic.

When i said i eat 500cals during the day- i mean while im at work. In the evening i come home and eat a normal meal!! Actually. i eat all night. That why i try not to snack all day long on biscuits and chocolate and stuff.
    ok hun, i guess its juse the way you wrote it :)
    yup. sorry.
    Sikorah wrote:
    eat when you are hungry! just stick to healthy foods and a couple of treats a day. If you eat too many unhealthy foods for a couple of days, eat healthily for the next couple. Eat around 1500/1000 cals most days but have a blow out every once or twice a week. Eat varied food, including fish, small portions of meat and make sure you have five portions of fruit and veg - ranging from a smoothie with all ur favourite fruit to an evening meal with your fave veg cooked in the way you prefer. Don't think about it too much and don't worry. Eat a balance diet and if you like fattening food, just excercise enough to keep your weight down but include healthy food too. Food is not your enemy, it is our friend and life support!
    my_name wrote:
    500calories a day is starvation. The average adult needs between 2000-2500 calories a day. Also, I've been reading up lots and eating small amounts (as not to overeat) thruout the day keeps your metabolism up. About every 3 or so hours. It keeps your body moving, so then when you work out, you burn even more. And breakfast is the most important don't forget ;)
    this is true, we are meant to graze though it's not always possible when people have to work/go to school. I'm a grazer, I could eat small portions throughout the day if I had the chance.
    Fill up on meals is the best way and bad foods i.e fried/processed only fill you for a small amount. Veg/fish/pasta fill you up for much longer.
    The trick is to recognise when you are hungry, being greedy, bored ot thirsty. So drink lots of water and include milk in your drink intake too.
    I normally have my breakfast about 6.30am then I am hungry again about 10/10.30am so I am trying to snack on fruit at that time and not chocolate or anything. I then have my lunch about 12.30pm then I don't eat again until 6pm.

The general rule though I think is that you are suppose to eat every 4 hours. Also if you think you are hungry but your not sure if you really are then drink a glass of water and after say half an hour and you find your still hungry then you really are.