Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

a good way of revising for language exams when you have no one to practice with

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
i don't have anyone near me that speaks spanish. and i have my speaking exam straight after the easter break.

anyone got any good ideas as to how to practice effectivly when i don't have anyone to talk to...

:(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Have you tried advertising for a tandem partner? I put up little adverts around Uni (and on lamp posts nearby!) a while back looking for a German speaker to improve my German and their English; lots of interesting dual-language pub sessions. ;)

Especially since you're in London, I wouldn't have thought there'd be any problem finding one.

Otherwise just talk/think to yourself in Spanish as much as possible; anything you think in English, try and think/say it in Spanish. Downside is that I now sometimes can't help thinking in German, and trying to translate things in my head. :)
  • Options
    i don't have anyone near me that speaks spanish. and i have my speaking exam straight after the easter break.

anyone got any good ideas as to how to practice effectivly when i don't have anyone to talk to...

:(

Not too sure if this would work, but:

if for example, it was just questions and answering them, could you record yourself asking the questions on to tape, then play the tape back and answer the questions? (Speaking them)
  • Options
    I speak Spanish.

However, I am in Russia speaking Russian.

Have you tried internet radio? I know it's a kind of one-way conversation thing but it definitely does help. There's bound to be a Spanish speaker around somewhere...
  • Options
    edit- twisted trinity being stupid and not logging out of boyfriend's user...

sorry!

don't have internet, and unfortunatly, i don't think that there are many people living in south ockendon (where i live) that speak a second langueage let alone spanish.

i might try the recording me speaking thing tho
  • Options
    What level are you studying for? GCSE?

Try to watch Spanish DVDs (setting the subtitles to Spanish can be helpful if you can't catch every word) and/ or read Spanish books, magazines, papers (or their online equivalents).

You could try getting a good CD-rom with sound clips of speaking e.g. linguaphone.

If you are looking for a native speaker the Language and Skills exchange pages of www.gumtree.com are useful- I have meet up with someone from there to practise Portuguese.

For GCSE try to learn key sections of vocab. If it's like it was five years ago when I did French and German GCSEs there were 5 key areas of vocabulary so you could be quite specific in practising them. And look at past papers. For GCSE there is quite a lot of emphasise on certain things such as giving your personal opinion on an issue, being able to use a range of grammar structures etc so check what the lastest list of things that they look for is.
  • Options
    Listen to Spanish radio for pronounciation and accent and then just drill all the information into your head. Should be sorted for that.
  • Options
    my vocab and pronouncation is fine, it's my grammer thats not hot. TBH, it's not a huge problem if don't get it right, it's going to make the difference between an A and A*. not that i'm boasting.
  • Options
    If you have any specific grammar queries, PM me and I shall endeavour to help you. My Spanish is pretty much fluent so should be able to help you out with most things.