Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

lets throw 3 into a scary fire pit

Basically i've been looking around the phone shops at new contracts with different companies from 3, and thought this new flext deal with t-mobile was very good, and suited me to a T :)

I origionally got my three contract in june 2004, which was a year long and when may 2005 came, i was offered an upgrade on my phone, which i duly took

Now i expected my contract to end in may/june this year, but ive been told that when my phone contract was upgraded, i had been tied into an 18 month contract, the deal on the upgrade was a free new handset, and half price for the first 6th months, my contract actually expires in november :(

I was never made aware that it was an 18 month contract, and as for the 6th month half price deal, thats what i got with my first year contract, so while i was aware id be tied into another contract, it was apparant at the time that it was a 12month one, never was 18th months mentioned.

I also was never sent an updated user agreement, i have every piece and slip of paper three have ever sent me at all, and i have never been sent an updated user agreement, my origional one as i said before was for a 12 month contract

Now after ringing up repeatedly, i keep on getting told by indian people, that because it says 18month contract on the computer, the computer is correct and they cant ever do anything about it at all, and refuse to pass me onto a supervisor, i was told id have to buy myself out of my contract, which with dropipng the priceplans as much as i can each month, comes to about £150. i cant afford to have two phones at once, so id have to keep on using the three one, at a higher price plan anyway, so i dont get screwed for going over the limits

What do i do? Small claims, CAB, write a nice letter to their legal department in the uk, in the vain attempt someone english and born in the UK might actually understand whats going on?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I read/saw somewhere that when making any sort of complaint go straight to the big boss man/woman. Find out who the managing director is (on net probably) and tell them you've had no joy from customer services (write to them/email). Its really not on and I'm sure totally illegal. Good luck honey! x
  • Options
    Thing is, ive never actually signed any bit of paper for the upgrade at all
  • Options
    i know last time i upgraded with orange they would only offer a upgrade if i went for 18months seems like its common practice for phone companies now. best way around it is probably change it to the lowest tarriff and pay it off.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    Thing is, ive never actually signed any bit of paper for the upgrade at all

Basically what I got from your post:

You got a new phone (t mobile) and thought your old contract (3) would run out but when you tried to cancel it there said it was an 18 month contract? They gave you no notification of this change from 12 month to 18 month and you havn't signed anything? They are screwing you over. Go to the big bosses.

Unless I've totally read that wrong, in which case :blush::blush::blush:
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    i know last time i upgraded with orange they would only offer a upgrade if i went for 18months seems like its common practice for phone companies now. best way around it is probably change it to the lowest tarriff and pay it off.

But they can't just assume you know its for 18 months though
  • Options
    It probably was a verbal agreement, and the lad should have told you it was an 18month contract. It'll be logged onto your account, and if that's the case, then if you do take this futher, as you have it logged on your account at the time of upgrade that will sorta cover their arse in any legalities.
  • Options
    didnt someone on here used to work for a phone company..., cant remember who for the life of me tho.
  • Options
    I work for 3 itself. :D

That's why I know all about it.
  • Options
    i want to go get a tmobile phone, but i havnt got it yet

yes it was a verbal agreement, but never once was i told it was an 18month contract, doesnt matter if they recorded it in the computer systems or not, if they have a recording of the call, then they can check that

after all my name is spelt grossly wrong on my bills, and they think i have to have a marriage certificate or deed poll certificate, because ihave changed my name, because its in their computer, they must be right, even though i know my own name
  • Options
    im contacting them to speak to them, and ask that they provide within 7 working days evidence that i signed a piece of paper, or a phone recording, proving that i agreed to a 18month contract

and if they cant, then im starting proceedings to take them for everything i can
  • Options
    dont you get some kind of letter stating the T+Cs of your contract tho? i think that if you dont apose that withing the 28 days cooling off period then its legally binding...or something to that effect
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    dont you get some kind of letter stating the T+Cs of your contract tho? i think that if you dont apose that withing the 28 days cooling off period then its legally binding...or something to that effect

though i have been misled

and how can i contest something where im unaware ive been misled, due to no incompetence of my own
  • Options
    yeah but they will just say they sent you the T+Cs like most places do with any contract and that you havent aposed them, im in no doubt that you have been somewhat misled, but that will probably be sufficient for them to get out of it
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    yeah but they will just say they sent you the T+Cs like most places do with any contract and that you havent aposed them, im in no doubt that you have been somewhat misled, but that will probably be sufficient for them to get out of it

i'll get them done for fraud

the mere mention of fraud to the latest customer service person ive got me in touch with, has got me straight through to a supervisor :)
  • Options
    Thats why you should go straight to the top boss, because they'll be too busy and probably just give you what you want to shut you up.
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    i'll get them done for fraud

the mere mention of fraud to the latest customer service person ive got me in touch with, has got me straight through to a supervisor :)

what have they said? good news i hope
  • Options
    well they dropped jaws when i told them what tmobile offered in terms of cost
  • Options
    what about the contract tho?
  • Options
    the dealership acting on threes behalf is closed now, as its outside of business hours, which is understandable, though ofcom and the supervisor i spoke to know that if i had been allowed to speak to a supervisor when i asked first time around, then i would have been able to have the conference call with them

now the supervisor said they are going to enquire to the dealer as for evidence i agreed to an 18month contract, now if it says 18 months on three's systems, its likely to say 18months on the dealerships computer, so ive asked for proof of signed documentation or an audio recording of me agreeing to the contract

now the supervisor has explicitly stated that if the dealership cannot provide the documentation i have asked to be provided, then they will change my contract so it expires in may as i thought, and they also offered me some bloody good deals so i would stay with them anyway

though tmobiles deal is still better
  • Options
    T Mobile is more expensive than what 3 is though.
  • Options
    edited because i was gona offer some advice but it seems you've got it sorted now.
  • Options
    not really

for £26.25 a month i can get £180 worth of credit
    this credit reduces at the rate of 20p/min (local,national,uk mobile calls)
    10p per text
    20p per picture message

which means if i use 50 mins and 1700 texts, im just using up my allowance, which is way better than anything three can offer me, because i often do use my phone for calls alot, but that will be a lot in one month, and none for ages
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    write them a letter saying you never knew it was 18months and then cancel your direct debits at the bank!

its not done by direct debit
    i just pay the bill over my phone by putting in my card details, and i dont want to screw my credit rating by having debt collectors on my back
  • Options
    i actually had 2 different people from three ring me up today, and both of them were english, its progress