Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

too young???

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

I've met this lad and he is 17 and i'm 22. You reckon he is too young for me? he don't look young but a guess thats besides the point

Sauce x

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    IMO Yes.
  • Options
    If you feel comfortable with him being that age then there's nothing wrong with it! Just bear in mind he may not necessarily be as mature emotionally as you, although then again he may be ultramature so you never know...give him a go ;)
  • Options
    If you feel comfortable with him being that age then there's nothing wrong with it! Just bear in mind he may not necessarily be as mature emotionally as you, although then again he may be ultramature so you never know...give him a go ;)

I know what your saying but i don't necessarily mean for a relationship
  • Options
    sauce wrote:
    I know what your saying but i don't necessarily mean for a relationship

What context would he potentially be too young for? Sex, proper relationship..?
  • Options
    Well if it's only for sex, then he's legal, so what's the issue?
  • Options
    What context would he potentially be too young for? Sex, proper relationship..?

both
  • Options
    I don't think he's too young but I dont understand what you mean by 'not for a relationship'? Just sex?
  • Options
    yeah whatever happens with us
  • Options
    I'm not sure I understand... if it's just for sex then obviously no. If it's for 'whatever happens with us' meaning that you're open for a proper relationship then, well, why don't you just see how it goes from there?
  • Options
    Age doesn't matter... If you feel good with him ad are attracted to him, there is no reason why age should be an issue...
  • Options
    When you were his age he was 12!!!

food for thought...
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:

food for thought...

Bah Humbug

I don't think that age-gap is wrong at all, although it would worry me just because he isn't legally able to drink (obviously that doesn't stop him drinking underage). I kinda see 18 as the lowest I would go, just because they are classed as an adult then. Good luck on whatever you decide
  • Options
    Bah Humbug

I don't think that age-gap is wrong at all, although it would worry me just because he isn't legally able to drink (obviously that doesn't stop him drinking underage). I kinda see 18 as the lowest I would go, just because they are classed as an adult then. Good luck on whatever you decide

18? that is the lowest i would normally go, ah well had a think just gonna leave it and be friends, thanks for the advice tho

cheers, sauce xx
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:

food for thought...

So...

When I was 17 RB was 21, what does that have to do with anything?

It's not like he is 12 now...
  • Options
    you`re both over the age of consent and Its not a huge age difference anyway, so id say nothing wrong with it.
    When people dont like age gaps, you have to remember, thats just their personal preference, it doesnt mean its right or wrong.

If you have a connection with someone, age is irrelevant (apart from obvious legal relevencies sometimes)
  • Options
    Yeah, once you're out of any hazy legal ground then age really is just a number. The obvious qualm would be whether he was mature enough for the kind of relationship you may be looking for; though from experience I've found that there are 17 year olds far more mature than 27 year olds, it varys from individual to individual.

In terms of a sexual relationship I really don't see the problem if you both like each other. :)
  • Options
    I would add if you think the age difference is a problem and you are not sure you want to go out with him because of that, well the maybe you don't fancy him as much as you think...
  • Options
    ive just turned 19 and my bf is 22, i was 18 when i met him. its only another year. we werent sure of the age gap to start with, but then we both realised we like each other enough for it not to be an issue.

if u like him you should go for it. the rest will work itself out.
  • Options
    Mia_16 wrote:
    ive just turned 19 and my bf is 22, i was 18 when i met him. its only another year. we werent sure of the age gap to start with, but then we both realised we like each other enough for it not to be an issue.
    For some reason, it's a bit more accepted that older guys go out with younger girls though. When you think of a guy going out with a woman older than him, you tend to get the idea more of the whole schoolboy fantasy and the "a bet she could teach you a thing or two" pisstakes, rather than a serious relationship. But then it's not about what everyone else thinks is it?

My sister's 25 and she's been going out with a 19 year old for a while now, and they seem to be good together.
  • Options
    well NMM is 25 and im 29. I know loads of women who go out with younger guys.
  • Options
    It works for that kid from coronation street and the babe from Emmerdale and he was only 16 when they hooked up!
  • Options
    If you like him then I wouldn't toss it away because of an age or because of what your mates might say.

But it sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to chuck him, so hey ho.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    But it sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to chuck him, so hey ho.
    Where do you get that from? :confused:
  • Options
    theres a 3 1/2 gap between me and my bf, we're sleeping together. No big deal tbh. Theres no rule book.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Age doesn't matter... If you feel good with him ad are attracted to him, there is no reason why age should be an issue...

:thumb:

What else matters matters?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    After a point, age gaps of 5 years or so don't matter, unless you both want different things I guess.
  • Options
    Well if you like him, go for it. If things dont work out then fine, least you would have experience in that and know that maybe you wont go there again if things turn out bad.

Hope things work out for the better :)
  • Options
    tbh, I get the same impression..
  • Options
    After a point, age gaps of 5 years or so don't matter, unless you both want different things I guess.
    is 5 years a magic number?

I remember when i was younger, my mum was at uni, she was about 33 and her boyfriend was 19 :eek:.
  • Options

The fact that she was expecting us to say he was too young, and then further down said:
    18? that is the lowest i would normally go, ah well had a think just gonna leave it and be friends