Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Urgent please help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My computers been infected with the trojan horse, no one seems to know how to help and i havent a clue! Can't seem to get the anti-virus scan working (Avast!) its crashed, trying to download one off the net, but have no idea what i'm doing. I'm all alone with no computer knowledge and no one to help me!

HELP!

Comments

• Options
    I'm downloading one called HouseCall is that any good??? :nervous:
  • Options
  • Options
    Once you've downloaded and installed the antivirus software, download the latest protection updates. Then restart the PC and disconnect it from the internet while you scan. Also you may have to scan in safe mode (keep pressing F8 as the PC boots up, then choose Safe Mode when you get the option) in order to delete all the infected files.
  • Options
    Ok got Avast! to work. I located the virus and placed t in a virus chest, then clicked delete. It looks like its gone. Is that just wishfull thinking or has it really gone?
  • Options
    Housecall is an extremely good (free) AV

but hey u fixed it now :D
  • Options
    Has it really gone? The messages are still flashing!.. it's still scanning, not picked up anything else yet.
  • Options
    I'm very paranoid, and my thinking is, once you know you're infected with a virus, you're in trouble even if you clean it.

Because there are so many viruses that can even hide from antivirus software.

If you have a system restore cd (one which wipes your pc totally clean, deleting all your files and viruses), use it. After having backed up all your files to cd or something.

I would not use that PC to enter in any credit card information until its been wiped.

You need to tell anyone else who has used the PC to keep an eye on their cards if they used them online.

If anyone thanks I'm being too anal, please tell me and the original poster.
  • Options
    I fully agree. Luckily i have a lap top too, so i guess from now on anything involving credit card deatails will be put through on the lap top. My brother in law (when he's available!!) is very knoweldgable about computers so hopefully he can help. Now, lets see what the scanner has to say. Its been running for ages.. :no:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    What trojan horse was that? I mean what message appears? I think some of them need a special tool to remove (meaning that a normal virus check won't fix it).
    Once I had one that I needed to do two things to get rid of: First get the special tool and remove the infection, and then download a security update from microsoft.com to make sure I wouldn't get infected again.
  • Options
    download microsoft anti-spyware as well and run a check - most trojans will download other spyware once the computer is infected