Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Problem with incorrect asigned static IP on NTL...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm using NTL broadband, and have a static IP address which is based on my customer ID. Today for some reason the IP changed to another, and I started receiving thousands of requests on port 6346 (which are Gnutella searches).

I checked google and it said try and get the IP reassigned. So I rang the NTL helpline (which was 50p a minute, great) and they said they couldn't reassign the proper IP address, I had to reconnect using a USB interface to the modem, and then go back to the ethernet connection.

So I tried connecting with my friend's laptop via USB (as my PC is upstairs I cannot connect it via USB). Once the drivers were installed, the laptop was connected to the internet with the correct IP address. I then reconnected my PC via ethernet, but it went back to the wrong IP adress. I also tried reconfiguring the net connection using the CD but to no avail.

Is there any way I can reset the IP address to what it was originally, because whoever this one belongs to, it appears it was a limewire server or something because I'm receiving lots of incoming traffic on port 6346. Is it worth taking my PC downstairs to plug it in via USB? If there's another method I'd rather do that because it's an arse taking it downstairs!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Have you check the network settings of your computer?

Not to sure how NTL work, but it might be that the problem, normally you can configure the IP to use from the network settings. Bu as I said really not sure, but worth taking a look into.
  • Options
    Is there any way I can reset the IP address to what it was originally, because whoever this one belongs to, it appears it was a limewire server or something because I'm receiving lots of incoming traffic on port 6346. Is it worth taking my PC downstairs to plug it in via USB? If there's another method I'd rather do that because it's an arse taking it downstairs!

Turn off the power to the modem for a few hours. It should be assigned a new IP address when it queries the NTL's DNS servers. Very unlikely you'll end up with the one you had before - it's rather hit and miss.
  • Options
    Well I posted on the cable forums, someone suggested switching it off for a few hours, but someone else said that probably wouldn't work. Plus I need the connection!

Well anyway someone else suggested getting a new IP assigned by changing the MAC address of the ethernet card on the PC (via device manager). So I tried that, then rebooted the modem and PC, and et voila it gave me a new IP! No more shitty limewire stuff :D
  • Options
    and et
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote:
    :rolleyes:
    Bugger off, French was four years ago :p