Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What should I ride?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
At the moment, I have a 50cc scooter, on CBT.

I'm not one for pretending its a 1800cc Goldwing, you know, so I'm not that bothered how fast it goes (62 btw), what sports can it needs etc.

Anyway, I'm 17 in july and got A-Class Bike lessons sorted. What bike should I get when I pass? I'll still have a 33bhp limit for 2 years but I can restrict any bike to that really.

I have my eye on a CBR400RR. I'll have about £1400 to play with (not at the moment, am saving). So it's an option. Unfortunatly with my experience, I got a quote of £1387 per year for insurance. I can manage it I rekon, If I work my arse, penis and nipples off.

Jumping from a 50 to a 400 is quite stupid, I'll admit. Even though I have never been allowed to ride anything bigger than a 50, I have driven bigger things off road, and I can manage clutch + gearbox. If it's restricted to 33bhp, it shouldn't be too wild at first. Nice looking bikes too.

I had a look at some 125s but they are physically too small for me. I'm quite tall, and not the lightest person. The guy at my garage, advised a RS125 or a CBR125. Not liking them really, and they arn't real bikes to me. He said the CBR400 was a great bike (he has one) and I could manage it straight off, but it has bags of power and goes like shit off a stick. Hence insurance quote.

Any ideas? I'm liking the VFRs too. Some guy told me to go for a 650. I hope he was pulling my leg.

Lawton.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I have absolutely no idea what all of that means but i think you should buy a big mans bike and paint it pink! The irony would be so cool.
  • Options
    Haha, in fact that reminded me of a post I saw on ebay recently...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ZXR-ZXR400-H1-CUSTOM-PROJECT-GREAT-1ST-BIKE_W0QQitemZ4625184629QQcategoryZ9807QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

c4_12_b.JPG

9b_12_b.JPG

20_12_b.JPG

Not quite pink but it does make me want to puke. In my eyes, that isn't cool.
  • Options
    No that owner is trying too hard to be cool. Pink would be saying "I'm man enough to ride a pink bike and I don't care what you think"

But do not wear a hat with them ear things!
  • Options
    The colour on that bike looks pants, but it does look like a mean machine though.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Shame about the Colour. If you do get the CBR (might as well, IF you CAN afford the insurance without starving) take time to ride about, slowly, then get usedto the speed. It'll probably last you longer than a 125, lets face it. Its a good bike, and you can work up your skills on a faster machine rather than another little moped type thing.

CBR.
  • Options
    All the 400s are ragged. ZXR, CBR, VFR, RVF, all of them. Small and light, often used as track-day tools, first 'big' bikes.

They ALL get stick.

Restricting engines to 33bhp can be nasty. Smaller engines don't mind so much - restrict a big bike and it'll be nasty to ride. Longer gearing than the smaller bikes, but without the power to pull it.

Kwak GPZ500S is a nice, easy bike. Wouldn't be sapping too much power by restricting it - nice and light, cheap to buy and run, likely better on insurance than the usual 400 rat-race. Or go for something older and naked - the older Suzuki GS500 is supposed to be overengineered to hell and back.

Plastics are stupidly expensive to replace when you drop it. And you will - everyone does :). Get something that suits you size-wise, enjoy it, learn how to control a bigger bike, then get something you really want.

4-strokes tend to be better lasting than 2-strokers. Smoother power delivery, nicer noise(IMO), no blue smoke(hopefully!).

Nothing is stupid. You know what feels right for you. I went from no experience, to doing my DAS, to jumping on a VFR750. I did have several years of road experience under my belt though(I'm 26, did it last year).

Much more to a bike than the engine size or power rating - get the one that fits you best. Ignore Rob and Dave down the pub - they read bike mags, and reckon the latest and greatest is what you want. Get some decent waterproofs and a bike that is in sound mechanical condition.

Then go off and enjoy it :).

Just noticed - £1400 insurance??? OUCH!! Find a reliable and solid older bike for under £500, and insure it TPO. Enjoy it for a couple of years, then find a 1992 CBR600 to play with. No claims bonuses and years of experience help no end with insurance quotes.

For future reference(no use to you now, as insurance would leave your bottom-hole bleeding), I've found the VFR-750FL-FP(1990-1993) and CBR-600FM/3(1991 onwards) to have the nicest seating position and general feel. I'm 6'2 and couldn't have survived more than a few miles on a 400.

Both are 100bhp or so, will do 100mph in under 10 seconds, and give over 40mpg. Not much use to you though really, but it should give you an idea of what you can go for in a few years when you've got a little experience under your belt, and have managed to save up some money :).
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Get a car. The roads are too dangerous for bikes. I'll never ride a bike on the road again.

Car for the road, bike for off road. :yes:
    Weekender Offender