Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Berlusconi: China "boiled babies"

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Take a look to the right on this page. Notice how many links there are to other news articles critical of Mr Berlusconi. What does the BBC have against him? Or is it simply the fact he attacked the left-wing utopia that the BBC management seem to like so much?

Are you on crack?
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I'm more towards right-wing, because I'm a believer in the free markets, in minimum state intervention and in basically letting people get on with their lives without politicians dictating to them otherwise.

Even though you keep complaining about the effects of free market policies. You're quite confused.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Look at the teaching of History in schools, for instance. (and before anyone tries to rubbish me, bear in mind I've done History up to A-Level and nearly carried on with it to degree level) We studied abuses of power that went on under Hitler and under Stalin. As far as I'm concerned, the two were evil megalomaniacs responsible for the deaths of millions. Hitler is always condemned unequivocally - and rightly so. But many refuse to criticise Stalin. Is it because several members of our useless government were communist party members/ communist sympathisers?

Who exactly refuses to criticise Stalin? :confused:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    In college they never pointed out the Good things Stalin did, I found.
    Even though you keep complaining about the effects of free market policies. You're quite confused.

There is no free market. Your quite confused. What we have is a collectivist state and centralised business on the lines of facism, albeit without the racism.
    Good for Berlusconi, he deserves credit for being just about the only world leader around willing to speak bluntly about China. (Chirac and Schroder meanwhile conveniently criticising countries that would garner electoral support at home but then ignoring China’s gigantic record of humans rights abuses to chase economic advantages and arms deals).

And even China today deserves far more criticism than it gets for its appalling human rights record. I don’t know whether the specific comment Berlusconi made is entirely accurate but since millions upon millions died under Mao’s evil regime there’s more than a grain of truth to Berlusconi's remark.

He was making an stupid joke about communists, that doesn't suddenly make him into a freedom fighter bravely battling on behalf of the oppressed Chinese.

The fact that he finds the millions of deaths from famine under Mao's rule to be something to joke about just makes him look like even more of an idiotic prick.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    This time, he's in "hot water" again with the lefties at the BBC. They hysterically rant: "Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has landed himself in hot water with comments that the Chinese under Mao Zedong 'boiled babies'. The PM, who is running for election in April, refused to withdraw his remarks when pressed by reporters, saying it was 'an historical fact'. But the gaffe has angered China, which is marking the Year of Italy in 2006." >> Details >>
    So the BBC reporting Berlusconi's comments makes it 'leftie'?

Is the Financial Times leftie? Or the Washington Post? Or the Seattle Times? Or the CNN? Or the Los Angeles Times? Or Bloomberg? Or Reuters? Or the Boston Globe? Or the Salt Lake Tribune?

http://news.google.co.uk/news?hl=en&ned=uk&ie=UTF-8&ncl=http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2006/03/30/2003299992

Are you on drugs?
    Yes, that's right. How dare Mr Berlusconi remind the world about China's pathetic human rights record. How dare Mr Berlusconi remind us that Chinese policies have forced the dumping of babies in gutters, as reported a few years ago. How dare Mr Berlusconi remind the world about the rise of this world power. Indeed, how dare he tell the truth about China, not the version Beijing would like us to believe.

1. Even though China's human rights record is deplorable it helps no one to make up stuff and tell stupid lies that not even the most commie-obsessed god-fearing freeper would believe.

2. Berlusconi himself is a racist, fascist cunt who sees the Arabs as "inferior", is friend and ally of Italy's fascists and gave orders to shoot to kill to any illegal immigrants trying to reach Italy's shores.

Anyone here and elsewhere who has any kind words for Berlusconi or subscribe to 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' mantra is a fool.
    Aladdin wrote:
    2. Berlusconi himself is a racist, fascist cunt who sees the Arabs as "inferior", is friend and ally of Italy's fascists and gave orders to shoot to kill to any illegal immigrants trying to reach Italy's shores.

Anyone here and elsewhere who has any kind words for Berlusconi or subscribe to 'the enemy of my enemy is my friend' mantra is a fool.

And of course he's (alledged to be) tightly linked to the Mafia.
    Berlusconi wasn't even talking about the China of today anyway - he was talking about China under Mao which was a radically different place to the China of today.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Does that mean to say that the BBC is stuffed to the gills full of neo-conservatives? It sure as heck doesn't seem like it in their news reporting.
    I wouldn't call them neo-con or lefties...
    I wouldn't call them neo-con or lefties...

Liberal is probably the best description.
    klintock wrote:
    Don't be ridiculous, of course I don't. I will happily admit that it's rarely intentional but the whole of mainstream AND alternative media makes so many false pronouncements it really can't be trusted.

Not their fault, they have all been indoctrinated into the "country/nation/state" cult. You might as well try and get detailed factual info out of David Koresh.
    Thought you didn't have a TV licence? How do you know so much about various news channels output?
    You need a TV licence to watch TV?

News to me.......
    klintock wrote:
    You need a TV licence to watch TV?

News to me.......
    So explain how you are not stealing the BBC's output. What's the differance between that and getting a satallite dish to get Sky's signal illegally?
    So explain how you are not stealing the BBC's output. What's the differance between that and getting a satallite dish to get Sky's signal illegally?

It's alright to steal from criminals, innit.
    Thief.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Thief.
    yeah but you can't steal things out of the atmosphere can you ...especialy when the atmosphere doesn't exist ...silly people.
    So explain how you are not stealing the BBC's output.

Explain to me what the BBC loses by having me watch what they broadcast. Then explain to me how I can steal from someone and they not lose anything. Oh, and explain to me how it's not stealing from the BBC if you recieve the signal in France or Southern Ireland.

Annnnd explain to me how, if I broadcast a message on a television frequency it gives me the right to charge anyone who happens to have bought and paid for recieving equipment. You know, even if it's not switched on and stuff. . :rolleyes:
    What's the differance between that and getting a satallite dish to get Sky's signal illegally?

I have sky and pay for it. As i don't have the option with the beeb to only pay for part of the services they provide I choose to not fund them. If they were to give that option i would happily pay for that which i had incurred a debt. And not y'know nations greatest dustbins.

At any time I don't want sky i can ring them and say "no thanks" and they will turn it off and leave me alone. If i were to try that approach with the beeb i would be kidnapped, robbed and jailed. I refuse to pay for that kind of "service".
    So explain how you are not stealing the BBC's output.

he isn't.

The licence fee is not a fee to receive BBC programming. If it was, I wouldn't be jailed for not paying the BBC to watch ITV. It is a tax to pay for the BBC's programming. There's a big difference.

If the BBC said "you only pay the fee if you get our chennel" that would be fine, and Klintock would be stealing from the BBC.

They don't. They say I must pay them £130 a year, or they will imprison me. That stops it being theft.
    What's the differance between that and getting a satallite dish to get Sky's signal illegally?

Sky offer a commercial service, and offer the choice of paying for it or not.

Sky don't imprison you for watching the free channels on the Astra satellite system.
    klintock wrote:
    At any time I don't want sky i can ring them and say "no thanks" and they will turn it off and leave me alone. If i were to try that approach with the beeb i would be kidnapped, robbed and jailed.
    I beg to differ. When you leave Sky, they spend the next few months pestering you. They send you magazines about the programmes on offer. They call you detailing offers like "you can get Sky for three months for half price - apply now". Admittedly, my dad used to take up those offers, but cancelled the subscription at the end of the period. I have no idea how much he pays for our subscription now. All I know is I almost never watch the damn thing.
    Kermit wrote:
    The licence fee is not a fee to receive BBC programming. If it was, I wouldn't be jailed for not paying the BBC to watch ITV. It is a tax to pay for the BBC's programming. There's a big difference.
    More specifically, it's to pay Davina McCall and Graham Norton, one whom has a rubbish chat show, the other is virtually unemployed by the BBC. Weren't these two doing okay at Channel 4? Why did the BBC poach them in the first place?
    Silvio Berlusconi's gaffes? Hmmmmm .. has anyone ever noticed that you never, ever see him and the Duke of Edinburgh standing together? Something fishy going on there ... :thumb:
    Teagan wrote:
    Silvio Berlusconi's gaffes? Hmmmmm .. has anyone ever noticed that you never, ever see him and the Duke of Edinburgh standing together? Something fishy going on there ... :thumb:
    Are you saying that Silvio Berlusconi is actually Her Majesty the Queen's boyfriend? :p
    Why the fuck should I pay if I don't watch the BBC?
    It'd be like rolling into Waitrose and having to give money to ASDA. Bollocks to that.

Oh, and good for Berlusconi.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Are you saying that Silvio Berlusconi is actually Her Majesty the Queen's boyfriend? :p

Well - it is strange isn't it .... :chin:
    Oh, and good for Berlusconi.

I still don't understand what Berlusconi's done that anybody would want to congratulate him for. :confused:

He hasn't stood up to China, he hasn't condemned anything going on in China today, all he's done is make a crappy joke about a former Chinese leader - it's the equivalent of a Chinese politician saying Mussolini had his enemies made into pasta sauce.
    The man's a nasty cunt- no mistake. I find it disturbing that anyone could have kind words about him.
    Aladdin wrote:
    The man's a nasty cunt- no mistake. I find it disturbing that anyone could have kind words about him.
    Would you prefer it if I'd written some "kind words" about Chairman Mao instead?
    No, there is no need to write kind words about anyone who is nasty- even if they are criticising somebody else who is also a nasty.

Berlusconi certainly doesn't speak out of concerns for human rights or justice. He's simply a deluded McCarthyist who checks for reds under his bed every night while shaking hands with the Italian fascists and claiming Arabs are inferior to the rest of us.
    Aladdin wrote:
    Berlusconi certainly doesn't speak out of concerns for human rights or justice. He's simply a deluded McCarthyist who checks for reds under his bed every night while shaking hands with the Italian fascists and claiming Arabs are inferior to the rest of us.
    Try not to allow your blood pressure to go up too high - forecasts and polls predict he will lose the election next month.
    Never underestimate the Italian electorate's potential for shooting themselves in the foot... ;)