Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Roman Catholics taught about contraception

"The head teacher of a Roman Catholic school has told how she was forced to contact police over her decision to teach some pupils about contraception. Diana Vernon, of Woldingham School, in Surrey, was sent hostile letters and e-mails by anti-abortionists attacking the move to teach girls aged 14 and 15. Anti-abortion group UK LifeLeague said the school did not have to teach it. But Miss Vernon said pupils were given a "clear sense" of Catholic Church requirements, as well as other options." >> Details >>

Two issues. One, teaching about contraception. I have no qualms with this. The second is abortions. It's always been a subject that make me feel uneasy. UK LifeLeague have one valid point only - independent schools do not have to follow the National Curriculum, that is true. That is where my sympathy for them evaporates. To see a teacher had to contact the police as a subsequent result of her teachings is an extremely worrying development.

There can be no doubt. The anti-abortion lobby is a disgrace. The school received "hostile" (disgusting, hateful, defamatory, insulting) e-mails and letters as a result. LifeLeague do not condemn this, nor do they deny responsibility. Anti-abortionists increasingly remind me of anti-animal testing protesters, who send poisonous letters, and worse, to those doing their jobs. Why do they resort to such tactics? They certainly are not doing themselves any favours with such bestial and outlandish behaviour. Who's with me on this one?

EDIT: And look what I discovered on doing a quick search of Google. I put in "James Dowson", the head of LifeLeague. Guess what? Back in the late 1990s, he was the founder of Precious Life Scotland, another group of extremist scumbags. Now why doesn't this surprise me? >> Details >>
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Well.

We won't tollerate having extremist Islamics... so WHY do we tolerate these people?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    We won't tollerate having extremist Islamics... so WHY do we tolerate these people?
    I wish I knew. I used to have sympathy for anti-abortionists, but use of such despicable tactics have changed that. I'm more towards the pro-abortion lobby now than ever as a result - at least they don't threaten to harm anyone or such.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    stargalaxy wrote:
    I wish I knew. I used to have sympathy for anti-abortionists, but use of such despicable tactics have changed that. I'm more towards the pro-abortion lobby now than ever as a result - at least they don't threaten to harm anyone or such.

Aye... I know what you mean.

I don't support ALL cases for Abortion, but I dont think it should be banned. Especially not when the ban is only activley backed by terrorists.
  • Options
    This is another reason why 'faith schools' are evil filth from hell that should be eradicated from this country.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    This is another reason why 'faith schools' are evil filth from hell that should be eradicated from this country.
    same old extremist crap you always come out with.
    you often mirror taliban man.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote:
    Well.

Islamic extremists are tolerated, and I’m not sure who "we" are. I'm fairly sure that the "The real holocaust is coming" and "Osama is coming for all you evil westerners" messages that extremist Islamists have been freely displaying have all been tolerated.

<rant>

Of course when millions of people subscribe to essentially the same ideals and beliefs then you’re bound to get the splinter cells that are more evangelical than the rest. Why on Earth people aren’t satisfied with personal faith is beyond me.

</rant>
  • Options
    same old extremist crap you always come out with.
    you often mirror taliban man.
    The 'extremism' doesn't come from me mate... but from those who run the brainwashing factories (sorry, ''faith-based schools'').

Children should not be programmed like that. It's fucking deplorable.
  • Options
    What the arsing fuck are you on about?

The "faith school" you seem so determined to attack was teaching contraception advice to its pupils.

MR's right, your attitude to religion really is bigoted and zealous. Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you're not a zealot. The atheistic taleban indeed.
  • Options
    What gets me about the whole Catholic/contraception thing is that the Pope says contraception is a sin - so millions of unwanted babies are brought into the world in poor societies etc many of whom do not have the money or time to bring them up properly or safely ...

I feel that if you use contraception for sex, you could be considered to be sinning against yourself - but bringing a child into the world that will be ruled by its dismal circumstances - poverty, abuse, neglect etc is by far the greater sin ...
  • Options
    I don't think it's that extremist to believe religion shouldn't have any place in schools.

If parents are that keen on having their kids worship the same gods as them, then they should teach them themselves rather than disguise it as serious learning in a classroom.
  • Options
    Teagan wrote:
    What gets me about the whole Catholic/contraception thing is that the Pope says contraception is a sin - so millions of unwanted babies are brought into the world in poor societies etc many of whom do not have the money or time to bring them up properly or safely ...

I agree, I think it's sick and wrong that some wizened, evil-eyed, celibate old man in a stupid hat should be telling millions and millions of people how they should be going about their sex lives.
  • Options
    Why not? That's part of his job.

There is nothing wrong with the Catholic Church's assertion that if you keep your cock in your pants and your knickers on you won't get AIDS. If you stay monogamous you won't get AIDS. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Why should atheism and Darwinism be taught ahead of religion? There's about as much proof for both. All it is is swapping one dogmatic belief for another, and who the hell are you to say that my kids should only be taught your dogmatic belief?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What the arsing fuck are you on about?

The "faith school" you seem so determined to attack was teaching contraception advice to its pupils.
    I'm attacking the principle of faith schools, not this one. That fact remains that if no faith schools existed the teaching of sex education and contraception would not be an issue at all. What this school has highlighted (by doing what few if any religious schools have ever done, to speak about contraception- shock fucking horror!) is that countless thousands of pupils are being denied basic facts and the right to a balanced and sensible education in places.

Religious education for children= form of child abuse.
    MR's right, your attitude to religion really is bigoted and zealous. Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you're not a zealot. The atheistic taleban indeed.
    Yeah yeah yadda yadda yadda... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I've got no problems with comparative religion being taught in schools, but children should be allowed to make up their own minds rather than have the belief of their parents in beardy guys up in the sky drilled into them all day long.

And the Catholic Church, with their anti-condom propaganda, are responsible for a lot more cases of AIDS than they've ever prevented. They should try to keep their priests from raping young boys first before they start telling the world's Catholics what to do with their sex lives.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    I'm attacking the principle of faith schools, not this one.

With what relevance?
    That fact remains that if no faith schools existed the teaching of sex education and contraception would not be an issue at all.

It would still be an issue. Faith schools mostly do teach about sex and contraception, but just not in the "gee, its fine to have sex wherever you want with whoever you want, you'll be safe and its good for you!" school of bollock-speak.
    Religious education for children= form of child abuse.

You gonna explain that one, or just continue spouting off offensive and bigoted dogmatic rubbish?

That's probably why you hate the religious fundies so much- you're exactly the same.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It would still be an issue. Faith schools mostly do teach about sex and contraception, but just not in the "gee, its fine to have sex wherever you want with whoever you want, you'll be safe and its good for you!" school of bollock-speak.

I went to a Catholic school until I was 13 - all the sex education I can remember hearing was that contraception was wrong, pre-marital sex was wrong, and homosexuals were freaks of nature to be pitied.
  • Options
    There's an interesting comment on this (from a CofE perspective, obv.) here.

I agree that faith schools are difficult places and I'm not remotely convinced of their merits. I worked last year in a nice Catholic school in Highgate. Compared to my own single-sex (selective, but secular) school the girls were remarkably well-behaved and the teachers weren't all Catholic (a relief, I'm not), but one of the Year 8 girls turned to me in a lesson on Elizabethan religion and quite seriously said, "I don't think I've ever met a Protestant, miss", and was genuinely surprised when I said that I'm Protestant (well, ish). It really took me aback to hear that from someone growing up in London these days!

I don't know if any of that is relevant or if it's just waffle. My brain's turned off.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    There is nothing wrong with the Catholic Church's assertion that if you keep your cock in your pants and your knickers on you won't get AIDS. If you stay monogamous you won't get AIDS. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    There is no end of things that are wrong with that breath-takingly stupid and unrealisitc policy. We live in the real world.

Given as many Catholic priests themselves "can't keep their cocks in their pants" the Catholic Church should drop their idiotic pleas and demands and try to serve and help the people it claims to care for, instead of contributing towards hundreds of thousands of deaths every year through STDs, hunger and famine.

Yes, hunger and famine too. Something you always fail to address. Let's not forget that even if if a man and a woman never have sex before they get married and remain faithful for their whole lives, there is still the issue of family planning. But never mind. Better to have 9 kids starve to death than to allow a couple to use such Devil-sent devices as condoms or contraceptive pills eh?
    Why should atheism and Darwinism be taught ahead of religion?
    Are you really asking that question? I don't think you want to go there.
    There's about as much proof for both. All it is is swapping one dogmatic belief for another, and who the hell are you to say that my kids should only be taught your dogmatic belief?
    Should children be taught the theory of the flying spaguetti monster? And if not, why not?
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    I've got no problems with comparative religion being taught in schools, but children should be allowed to make up their own minds rather than have the belief of their parents in beardy guys up in the sky drilled into them all day long.

Why shouldn't parents get to choose what education their children receive?
    And the Catholic Church, with their anti-condom propaganda, are responsible for a lot more cases of AIDS than they've ever prevented.

No, lets get this straight.

The men who fuck the whole village and get AIDS, then pressure their wives into not using condoms, are the people who are responsible for AIDS. Not the Church.

The Church says "thou shalt not commit adultery", its one of the ten Commandments for heaven's sake! If they're not going to follow one of the basic tenets of the Christian faith, why do you think they suddenly start listening when it comes to ditching ther durex?

They don't. Men will get out of using condoms any time they can. It happens over here just as much.

As for family planning, perhaps there wouldn't be poverty and malnutrition if everyone followed the whole of the Christian faith properly. Love thy neighbour and all that jazz. The world can support us all, it only doesn't because of the greed of the West.
    They should try to keep their priests from raping young boys first before they start telling the world's Catholics what to do with their sex lives.

Ah yes, that old chestnut. How tiresome. Man abuses child, its not a new story, and nothing to do with the Church in particular.

Perhaps social services should stop raping their children too, before they start dealing with parental sex abuse?
  • Options
    The catholic church is an evil cult that thamkfully has more or less had it's day. Teaching children things as truth that you know or suspect aren't true is fucking evil. So no more Santa stories then.

Asking it's members to forswear contraception is mainly about outbreeding the atheists and the other religions. It's got fuck all to do with helping anyone except the evil grasping cunts in the vatican.
  • Options
    You think there's absolutely no connection between some people taking a vow of celibacy in the service of the Catholic God, and a big proportion of those same people ending up having sex with young boys?
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Should children be taught the theory of the flying spaguetti monster? And if not, why not?

If parents want to set up a faith school based on that teaching, then sure, why not?
  • Options
    Why shouldn't parents get to choose what education their children receive?

Because brainwashing and breaking a defenseless mind is evil shild abuse?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The men who fuck the whole village and get AIDS, then pressure their wives into not using condoms, are the people who are responsible for AIDS. Not the Church.

What, the Catholic Church preaching against condoms can't be held at fault for people not using condoms?

That's like saying priests giving out penance at confession can't be held responsible for people saying Hail Marys...
  • Options
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    You think there's absolutely no connection between some people taking a vow of celibacy in the service of the Catholic God, and a big proportion of those same people ending up having sex with young boys?

No, I don't think there's any connection, to be quite honest. Enough teachers and social workers sexually, physically and mentally abuse the children in their care, and they don't have vows of celibacy.

Some people will take advantage of whatever situation they are in. That's human nature. But compared to the number of children in catholic care, and the number of Catholic clergy in the world, the sex abuse is almost negligible.

A shocking and sickening thing to happen, it should never happen, but the Church isn't any worse at it than Social Services, is it now? And nobody says that all Social Workers are nonces, do they?
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    What, the Catholic Church preaching against condoms can't be held at fault for people not using condoms?

No, I don't think it can.

If people are prepared to ignore the Pope about one of the most important things in the Christian faith, do you really think that they give a chuff about what he thinks about rubbers?

No, they don't. They don't use condoms because they don't want to, that's the sole reason. It's exactly the same reason so many people don't use condoms in this country, even though they don't believe in the Catholic faith.

I'd love to think that the Pope had so much influence, but he doesn't, otherwise people wouldn't commit adultery and rape. But they do.
    klintock wrote:
    Because brainwashing and breaking a defenseless mind is evil shild abuse?

Brainwashing? :lol:

Teaching atheism is just as bad. But oddly people like Aladdin don't seem to care about that.

It's got nothing to do with "protecting" children, and everything to do with the atheists' zeal in making sure nobody dares to have an opinion that doesn't match their own.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    With what relevance?
    See above and below.

I refer you to Voodoo's post:

"I went to a Catholic school until I was 13 - all the sex education I can remember hearing was that contraception was wrong, pre-marital sex was wrong, and homosexuals were freaks of nature to be pitied."
    You gonna explain that one, or just continue spouting off offensive and bigoted dogmatic rubbish?
    I have many times, but just for you, once more.

Children should be given a fair and balanced education and not be told any set of completely unproven and unfounded superstitions as fact, especially when such claims, once embedded in the brain, will have repercussions for the entire life of that person.

You have countless millions of people believing sex before marriage- or even sex at all- is somehow wrong or dirty, because they were brainwashed to believe so as children. You have millions of people living repressed and deeply unhappy lives because they were brainwashed into believing being attracted to persons of the same sex is a terrible sin. You have millions of others who although don't believe being homosexual is wrong or sinful, are being oppressed and prejudiced against by all the bigots who were brainwashed as children to believe so. You have lunatics bombing abortion clinics or strapping bombs to themselves and blowing up passers-by because they genuinely believe God wants them to do that.

Throughout history we have had appalling instances of misery, hatred, wars and death instigated by people who were brainwashed and programmed as children to take sets of irrational beliefs as fact.

Religion ruins lives- even if sometimes the victim doesn't even know it.

That's why is wrong to teach children religion as fact. Let them learn a history of world religions as children, and let them make an informed decision when they reach adulthood.
  • Options
    Kermit, if you don't think that telling people what to do from a position of authority makes them do it, aren't you in totally the wrong job?
  • Options
    kermit wrote:
    Ah yes, that old chestnut. How tiresome. Man abuses child, its not a new story, and nothing to do with the Church in particular?
    Actually it has everything to do with the Catholic Church. The reason why so many Catholic priests end up abusing children it's because something extremely unhealthy and wrong has been asked of them: that they should not have sexual relations.

Which goes to prove, despite the twisted bastards' claims to the contrary, that sex is natural, good, and healthy.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    "I went to a Catholic school until I was 13 - all the sex education I can remember hearing was that contraception was wrong, pre-marital sex was wrong, and homosexuals were freaks of nature to be pitied."

Who knows which school he went to, I never had anything of that nature said about homosexuality. And mine wasn't exactly a liberal Catholic school.

Pre-marital sex is wrong. It says so in scripture.
    Children should be given a fair and balanced education and not be told any set of completely unproven and unfounded superstitions as fact, especially when such claims, once embedded in the brain, will have repercussions for the entire life of that person.

Well perhaps we should start by wiping Darwinism off the biology syllabus, yeah? And Big bang theory off the Physics syllabus?

No proof for either. Not even close.

You get lunatics in all beliefs. Often you'll find that its the "born again" fundies who are the worst for the nutty actions, because they haven't had the benefit of a childhood education in the faith as community.

The comments about sexual education and homosexuality do have some basis in fact in some places, but those beliefs normally come from the home, not from the Church. Nothing you can do about that.

The Church's doctrine is that homosexuality is not a sin, but it is a sin to be sexually active and homosexual, because you can't be homosexual and married. And as always, you love the sinner and hate the sin.

I don't subscribe to the fire-and-brimstone doctrine, and the vast majority of Christians don't either. I expect you haven't actually been involved in a Church community for a very long time, if ever.
    klintock wrote:
    Kermit, if you don't think that telling people what to do from a position of authority makes them do it, aren't you in totally the wrong job?

Nobody has yet managed to answer why, given that people ignore the Ten Commandments, the most important part of Old Testament scripture, people should suddenly start listening to a person when it comes to condoms?

People don't do what authority tells them to unless it suits their own agenda. It doesn't suit them to not commit adultery, so they shag around at will. It does suit them to not use condoms- they're uncomfortable, smell nasty, and dampen the feeling during sex- so they come up with a spurious reason not to use them.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Actually it has everything to do with the Catholic Church. The reason why so many Catholic priests end up abusing children it's because something extremely unhealthy and wrong has been asked of them: that they should not have sexual relations.

So many?

Comparatively speaking, its a handful.

So why do social workers end up abusing children?