Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just can't take it anymore!!! Ever since December I've been looking for a job, and I've had loads of opportunities that I almost got. At the last minute they're like "Ok, its down to you and one more person" and then the other person gets it... or just now, someone I knew from before was looking for an assistant, I heard about it and sent her an email to let her know I was looking for work, and I hadn't received a response, so I figured she just didn't want me for the post... but I just got a response from her saying how she's using another email address now, so she only just saw my email now, when they had already appointed someone else, adding "oh, what a shame I didn't read your email in time..."

Yeah, I know I should be happy 'cause at least I'm going to interviews and things seem to be happening and everything... but it's still just bugger because those things still haven't turned into an actual job... Grrr, it's just that I feel I'm going through a bad-luck phase when it comes to work... its been such a succession of almost getting things but then not that it's just SO fucking frustrating!!! And even more when my friends whom I believe I'm as capable as any of them are all so well positioned in great jobs!!! I feel like I'm walking under a black cloud, grrrrrr :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I feel like this:
under_black_cloud_3.gif

Sorry, really needed to rant.

Comments

• Options
    I know how you feel. I struggled to get a job a while back (Although I was already working but really needed to get out of my last place).

It's a tough call. Do you leave the interview board alone and let them come to their decision or do you phone and ask if they were any closer to hiring someone.

Call their bluff and tell them that you been offered a job elsewhere but you would rather work for them and turn down this (bogus) offer? But what if they then turn round and tell you not to miss out on this other post as they are nowhere near ready with their decision.

I think it's important that you slog away at it. The important thing as you said is that you are getting interviews so there is something about you that is hireable.

Look at it this way. The right job for you just hasn't come along yet. Wait until it does and you'll know. It's like meeting the right man/woman.

And wait until you goto an interview, decide the job isn't for you, get offered it and then turn it down. Now that makes up for all jobs you didn't get.

Chin up. :thumb:
  • Options
    Thank you!!! :D

Yeah, it's true what you say, I think the right job for me hasn't come along yet... It's great way to look at it, actually, I hadn't thought it before.
  • Options
    That's the spirit. Keep the chin up. And stay positive. If you keep going for interviews with a "I'm not gonna get this job either attitude" this might come across in the interview.

And out of the blue you'll get the job that's right for you.

:)
  • Options
    Have you considered the possibility of being a little more "creative" on your CV and application forms?
  • Options
    Have you considered the possibility of being a little more "creative" on your CV and application forms?
    Um... what do you mean by "creative"?
  • Options
    Try an move onto another application asap, so there is something else to focus on
  • Options
    Just keep applying, if you're being called for interview you're almost there.

It's dispiriting, but you've obviously got what it takes, it just takes a little bit of luck. It'll come your way soon enough.

By "creative" I expect he means "lie". I'd obviously suggest you don't do this, but do make sure you build up all your experience.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    By "creative" I expect he means "lie". I'd obviously suggest you don't do this, but do make sure you build up all your experience.
    Lol, how naïve am I, I thought he meant writing my CV in an unusual way or something...

As much as i appreciate the advice I wouldn't consider lying though, it's just not my way of doing things.

Thanks for the support. :)
  • Options
    know how you feel mate, i was jobhunting a couple of months ago and it is frustrating, i was shortlisted for 7 or 8 interviews and even got called back a second time on a few occasions, but still didn't get the jobs and i was getting a bit pissed off to say the least.......but was just persistent and found something in the end that was better for me than the all the previous positions, so keep at it.

ETA: i probably wouldn't have got that job either without the experience from all the other interviews, so it was kind of meant to be i guess........by now you should really know what to say and what employers are looking for, cos let's face it it's not how good you are it's how good you come across........
  • Options
    I know how frustrating it was. For me, my CV lands me an interview but then I screw up at the interview. Maybe ask for constructive critacism as to why you didn't get it? Good luck with future employment anywho!
  • Options
    Thanks!! :D
  • Options
    let's face it it's not how good you are it's how good you come across........
    That is soooooo true. In the end it's about how well you sell yourself. I tend to be a perfectionist and self-critical, so selling myself doesn't come natural to me, as I'm always fixated on my flaws. It's something I have had to learn, and every interview helps I guess.
  • Options
    Jobs are like buses. It took me ages to get anywhere, but as soon as I got one job, another two came along at the same time.

So nice to get to choose what to do:D
  • Options
    My boyfriend has been looking for a job for the past 2 years, since finishing his degree...with no luck so far So he is still in his very minimally paid part time uni job. It's very frustrating, and very disheartening :mad: