Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The Biggest Strike Since 1926?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Voodoo Ray wrote:
    Most of the people who are affected are low-paid, menial workers. Why should teachers and civil servants get a better deal with their pensions than dinner ladies and binmen?

I'm in the middle here, dinner ladies and binmen can be replaced in an instant and so I see the point in being more tactful and cautious with teachers etc but it's still unfair.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    So you think it's right that schools have closed for the day just so that the teachers can get better pension rights? :rolleyes: What about our education?
    It's not about teachers. The teachers at all the Secondaries in my City were in. Primaries just shut because the dinnerladies were on strike.

And another thing - I have to laugh at the people who say they would rather pay tax than see people lose pensions. If you take it that a high percentage of people are on the fiddle in the UK then we just end up filling their pockets. I haven't worked hard in school, worked to get myself a place in university and then work for the next 45 years just to keep people on the dole. /off topic.

On topic though, I wonder where all the Government statisticians etc all were years ago. Surely someone could have forecast the downfall of Industrial work?
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    On topic though, I wonder where all the Government statisticians etc all were years ago. Surely someone could have forecast the downfall of Industrial work?

They did, everyone has known industrial work has been doomed in this country for years and years. Its not a huge issue though because we have a massive service sector economy.