Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

onboard or radeon 9250?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
right... found out my comp only has a PCI slot for graphics, currently i'm using 'intel extreme II' onboard graphics.... it nicks system memory but I only really play counter-strike and it runs this at 100 fps (not entirely stable though).

So recently a friend suggested to me to get a radeon 9250... is it worth getting it or should i just stick with what i've got? I know PCI isn't great but i dont wanta buy a new motherboard (or anything else really :p) for now... so any suggestions? (i dont really know too much... not great for a comp science student lol).

Comments

• Options
    muse- wrote:
    right... found out my comp only has a PCI slot for graphics, currently i'm using 'intel extreme II' onboard graphics.... it nicks system memory but I only really play counter-strike and it runs this at 100 fps (not entirely stable though).

So recently a friend suggested to me to get a radeon 9250... is it worth getting it or should i just stick with what i've got? I know PCI isn't great but i dont wanta buy a new motherboard (or anything else really :p) for now... so any suggestions? (i dont really know too much... not great for a comp science student lol).

are you using a dell by any chance

my old man bought one and i went to put my old graphics card into and there was no fucking agp slot :/

so yeah im in the same situation

*slight hijack* does any-one know of a resonably cheap pci card that will display at 1280x1024 ?

sorry to hijack your thread muse :(
  • Options

my old man bought one and i went to put my old graphics card into and there was no fucking agp slot :/

*slight hijack* does any-one know of a resonably cheap pci card that will display at 1280x1024 ?

haha yeah it is a dell... i want the same info so don't worry about it :) though im not fussy about the resolution
  • Options

geforce fx5700le
  • Options
    PCI cards from ebuyer...

ATI PCI Range

NVIDIA PCI Range
  • Options
    PCI cards from ebuyer...

ATI PCI Range

NVIDIA PCI Range

• Options
    had a like round on ebuyer and a couple other sites and this: "XFX Geforce FX5200 128MB PCI Graphic Card with TV-Out Retail" seems like the best you're gonna get if you're going with PCI.. found it on amazon but im sure they have it elsewhere for cheaper.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:
    had a like round on ebuyer and a couple other sites and this: "XFX Geforce FX5200 128MB PCI Graphic Card with TV-Out Retail" seems like the best you're gonna get if you're going with PCI.. found it on amazon but im sure they have it elsewhere for cheaper.

I always order my hardware from ebuyer, I think they are quite cheap, but the again I hve never looked around too much. I am just used to them.

You ca probably find some other shop who still have some old hardware and might have bigger card than 128MB, but i don't think it will be that easy to find.

Fund one PCI with 256MB here
  • Options
    You've also got to figure out if your PC's Power Supply can handle the extra power requirements

My friend bought a DVD Writer and found his Writer and CD ROM draw too much power when both are connected, and the PC wont even turn on.
  • Options
    You've also got to figure out if your PC's Power Supply can handle the extra power requirements

My friend bought a DVD Writer and found his Writer and CD ROM draw too much power when both are connected, and the PC wont even turn on.

Yep good point and some video card even required to be plug directly to the PSU.
  • Options
    muse- wrote:

If your PC is working at 100 fps what speed is your monitor displaying this at?

Ins't it wasted if you're PC is updating the screen image at 100 fps but the monitor might only be at 85 Hz ?
  • Options
    If your PC is working at 100 fps what speed is your monitor displaying this at?

Ins't it wasted if you're PC is updating the screen image at 100 fps but the monitor might only be at 85 Hz ?

yeah its a tft unfortunately so max is 85 hz.. i got some program to up it, though i have no idea if it really works. turning v-sync off in cs gives you higher fps than your hz will allow, i dont have stable fps though... thats why i wanted to get a decent card. Tbh any fps above 60 is totally playable and you can't really notice the difference imo, so as long as its staying above :d Using the onboard atm it tends to drop to 40~ when any heavy action is going on :/