Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What do you think carrys more danger...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Coke or pills...

The reason I ask this is because I have friends who will happly do coke, but wont touch pills cos they are dangerous... and some that are vise verser...

I have all due repect for them not taking a drug because its dangerous... but I see it as a bit hypicritical...

They are both dangerous!! How can you take one and shun the other...

Just wondering what your lots views are? and which do you think carrys the bigger risks? (Obviously it depends on your usage, but im talking about a recreational moderate user)

Comments

• Options
    It's obviously all down to personal choice but maybe more so what people have experienced through the years.

They may know someone who tried coke once, got hooked and lost everything. Whereas someone else may know someone who died after having a gary.

Thing with them both is that everyone reacts differently to them so there's no exact science to either.

Personally I did garys to death over the years and they eventually stop having an effect. Now we only have them a few times a year. Coke's a different story though, that you need more self discipline with.
  • Options
    the stock market has probably taken more lives than drugs over the years.
  • Options
    Much more fun on drugs than on the stock market too.
  • Options
    people do have their 'sacred cows' in the drugs world.

In real terms i suppose its not good to try and 'rank' dangers or compare substances like for like, risks should be judged on their own merits.

In pharmacological terms Cocaine has more implications for your heart in immediate terms, and when combined with alcohol it creates a third chemical which is both toxic to the system and addictive; Cocaethylene. This metabolite will have implications for both physical health and addiction potential over the long term.

As a coagliant, a substance which thickens the blood, as well as a CNS stimulant it puts quite a strain on the heart and anything consumed with it is only going to increase this.

MDMA, as a CNS stimulant affects both heart rate and the body's ability to control temperature. Drinking steadily, either water or an isotonic drink as well as regular rest during periods of exhertion should help this. Heavy use has been known to aggrevate problems, especially in terms of poly-drug use, with Serotonin depletive illnesses such as depression and anxiety, although these are only thought to be in the short-medium term and conditions tend to improve after periods of abstension.

All amphetamine based substances such as MDMA are known to be hazardous to people with latant or known schiezophrenic problems.
  • Options
    Depends really. If you use them moderately and safely then they are relatively harmless.
  • Options
    people do have their 'sacred cows' in the drugs world.

In real terms i suppose its not good to try and 'rank' dangers or compare substances like for like, risks should be judged on their own merits.

In pharmacological terms Cocaine has more implications for your heart in immediate terms, and when combined with alcohol it creates a third chemical which is both toxic to the system and addictive; Cocaethylene. This metabolite will have implications for both physical health and addiction potential over the long term.

As a coagliant, a substance which thickens the blood, as well as a CNS stimulant it puts quite a strain on the heart and anything consumed with it is only going to increase this.

MDMA, as a CNS stimulant affects both heart rate and the body's ability to control temperature. Drinking steadily, either water or an isotonic drink as well as regular rest during periods of exhertion should help this. Heavy use has been known to aggrevate problems, especially in terms of poly-drug use, with Serotonin depletive illnesses such as depression and anxiety, although these are only thought to be in the short-medium term and conditions tend to improve after periods of abstension.

All amphetamine based substances such as MDMA are known to be hazardous to people with latant or known schiezophrenic problems.

Interesting stuff...

I see your point about it not being difficult to compare the 2 in terms of danger.
  • Options
    well my point is that you need to consider drugs and substances as risks in isolation; If you are taking two or more drugs together then that does not just mean the two risks added, but an additional risk brought forward by the combination itself.

Thats also without thinking about the serious misery that the cocaine industry constitutes
  • Options
    phew, back from a long hard trip :)
    the boards surehave changed!

I'd say coke is safer than pills only because you have a better idea of what you are actually using. Where as pills vary, cocaine will typically be the same (just different cutting agents). Now sure, you'll get the 'cocaine' that's really speed, but that's a lot better than getting pills that are really ketamine.
  • Options
    coke makes me dangerous!!!!!....I once tried to pick a fight with a minibus because it was in my way!!!!...if I'd been on pills I'd just have waited for it to pass! :banghead:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Coke.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I'd say coke is safer than pills only because you have a better idea of what you are actually using. Where as pills vary, cocaine will typically be the same (just different cutting agents). Now sure, you'll get the 'cocaine' that's really speed, but that's a lot better than getting pills that are really ketamine.

Hate to go on about this again, but no drug is 'safer' than any other drug, none of them are 'safe'. What you are talking about is relative harm. And the rest of your post is simply not true.
  • Options
    phew, back from a long hard trip :)
    the boards surehave changed!

This doesnt hold true, cocaine as a high value product has good reason to be cut with lower value drugs such as caffiene, speed, laxatives etc.

But, pills as a low price item are less likely to be cut with expensive drugs (such as ketamine these days).

In terms of the question, given most people drink to excess with cocaine I would say that it is more dangerous. Having said that a large number of people drink to excess with MDMA too, so its more to do with how you use the drug rather than the drug itself.

The idea that cocaine is pure and safe because you know the bloke you're buying it from or because its not in pill form is a bad joke. It passes through more hands each of which can tamper with it.

And of course it depends on what you include in the dangers, cocaine production is hugely damaging to the enviroment and the political stability of South America.
  • Options
    there is more money to be made cutting coke than there is cutting pills, because the substance itself is more profitable.
  • Options
    there is more money to be made cutting coke than there is cutting pills, because the substance itself is more profitable.

Exactly, and of course there is only one person who can cut a pill, the maker, there are loads of people who can touch your cocaine.

Libocaine, borox, laxatives, glucose, caffiene, speed, paracetamol... the list is almost endless.
  • Options
    Lady Jade, I realize no drug is "safer".
    bongbudda wrote:
    Exactly, and of course there is only one person who can cut a pill, the maker, there are loads of people who can touch your cocaine.

Libocaine, borox, laxatives, glucose, caffiene, speed, paracetamol... the list is almost endless.
    I see your point there, but I'd much rather get crap cutting agents marketed as cocaine than completly different substances being marketed as MDMA. Plus, you can do a simple water&ethanol extraction and take out some of the cutting agents.

And still, what the hell do you think is in your pills? I'd be damn amazed if the purity of those pills was over 50%.

I see it as
    Caffiene or Amphetamine for Coke
    or
    Ketamine or 2c- drugs for Pills
    I see an unexpected Caffiene or Amphetamine buzz to be "safer" than an unexpected Ket or 2c- Trip.
  • Options
    But why use ketamine? It was done in the past to give the pills more punch because ketamine was dirt cheap, its not anymore, at least not in the UK, supply has fallen.

If you've got ketamine then you can sell it as ketamine at a much higher price than pills sell for these days.

And the same goes (but even more so) for any of the 2C- group of drugs, why on Earth would you sell 2CB for £1 a pill when you could easily get £5?

Purity of pills is a difficult one, its certainly misleading to put it in a % point because you have bulking agents too.

I'll admit my judgement is somewhat coloured by my general dislike for cocaine and both certainly have risks. And these risks because different would be higher for some than others.
  • Options
    I would say pills as well as you don't know for sure wat's in it, but then again you can never be sure of what is in coke.

But coke you can still recognise it a bit easier by the taste of it, when pills content differs a lot so they don't have all the same taste.

From what I heard tho, Ketamine is not suppose to actually harm your body. You can harm yourself easily when high on it but mostly cos you don't feel shit anymore, not cos of what the Ketamine does to you.

But at the end of the day no drug is really safe unless maybe paracetamol...
  • Options
    From what I heard tho, Ketamine is not suppose to actually harm your body. You can harm yourself easily when high on it but mostly cos you don't feel shit anymore, not cos of what the Ketamine does to you.

Unless you are taking massive doses or mixing it with other depressants (yes I know ketamine isnt specifically a depressant but it acts like one when mixed) then its not a very dangerous drug physically.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Unless you are taking massive doses or mixing it with other depressants (yes I know ketamine isnt specifically a depressant but it acts like one when mixed) then its not a very dangerous drug physically.

Never mixed it.

Well actually once with some speed, was quite nice and once with a microdot, but the Ketamine just killed the microdot. Was arrested that night in fron of a squat party and when Ketamine effects was finish was at the police station andthe microdot started coming up... Fortunatly it was close to the time they let us go...

Went back to the squat party right after and get the Ketamine stash from a tree we hided it in...
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Coke is implemented in far many more deaths a year - but that's a very simple way of lookin at it. Because of the random nature of adulterants in both pills and coke you cannot reall compare.

However, I would say 'pure' coke is more damaging than 'pure' MDMA. It has a wider scope for addiction, people are prone to be violent on it, and it is physically quite demanding on your heart.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I don't mean the physically damaging effects of ketamine on the body, I mean an unexpected ketamine trip could be disasterous. With coke you always know pretty much what you're going to get.
  • Options
    I don't mean the physically damaging effects of ketamine on the body, I mean an unexpected ketamine trip could be disasterous. With coke you always know pretty much what you're going to get.

Which can and is quite often, heart attacks, strokes, blood restrictions to parts of the brain, addiction....etc.

I dont agree that cocaine is inherantly safer because 'you know what you are getting' because even pure cocaine is a dangerous drug.

You are right though, an unexpected ketamine dose, especially orally could be nasty, but its unlikely to be physically harmful.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru

You think you know. Without testing, there is no way you can tell what you are going to get by looking at it. You can make assumptions based on your previous experience, your dealer, the source etc... But to say you always 'know what you are going to get' is such ridiculous thing to say.
  • Options
    To be honest pills, still love them though.