Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Selling stuff on eBay to raise cash

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Im thinking of selling some of my junk on eBay to raise some cash, as my next pay packet covers the cost of fixing me bike (£300), and then what mum owes me can get me a new helmet (£150), and then I've got £500 stashed for the new bike, but I'm going to be a bit stuck until may for money. And then Ive got my exams on anyway so I might be giving in my notice.

Whats sellable and whats not? Ive got an original xbox I could sell if its worth the hassle. Got a couple of games for it. My friend made an absolute mint by selling copied CDs - several hundred pounds - but even if I could get away with it (and apparently its stupidly easy to) I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it :/. So. Old games? Books? DVDs? What sells well and what sells stupidly under its value?

Comments

• Options
    Search around on ebay a bit first and see what the things you want to sell are going for. That'll give you an idea of the price you'll get before you post them.
    My mum sells loads of stuff on ebay and makes quite a bit of cash. She always checks before she posts to see if there's any point.
    Good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    ty :)

anyone want the special edition of long way round on dvd for a tenner? :p

it seems so much hassle to put them on ebay, because I need to set up a sellers account and then set up paypal so im a premium user or something so I have to pay extra fees. iirc.
  • Options
    ty :)

anyone want the special edition of long way round on dvd for a tenner? :p

it seems so much hassle to put them on ebay, because I need to set up a sellers account and then set up paypal so im a premium user or something so I have to pay extra fees. iirc.

You don't have to have PayPal!
  • Options
    ive already got paypal, and 99.9% or something like that of ebay transactions go through it. Its just there are so many stages to validate being a seller. Might have a go tomorrow when Im not so tired though :)
  • Options
    ive already got paypal, and 99.9% or something like that of ebay transactions go through it. Its just there are so many stages to validate being a seller. Might have a go tomorrow when Im not so tired though :)

i did not bother with PayPal in the end. As you said, it is too much bloody hassle. Validate this, validate that grrr :banghead:
  • Options
    its amazing what sells on ebay,ive got loads of stuff on at the moment.
    cars don'tseem to sell very well,my cars on now and there is no interest in it.little bits and bobs of crap seem to sell better for some reason.
  • Options
    A friend and I almost went halves on a double decker bus to go on a road trip round europe in today.
    The moral of this story will be anything will sell on ebay. (though we didn't because of driving license issues.)
  • Options
    If you dont want the hassle of Ebay and if you are prepared to do it, a car boot sale might be an idea, a couple of my mates did it a few weeks ago and just sold old clothes and CD's and made a few hundred quid, its not my cup of tea to be honest, and you have to get up at some rediculous time but its an idea anyhoo!

I recently bought something off Ebay and the seller breached the rules or something and i have yet to receive my refund a month later so i am not an Ebay lover at the moment!!

Good luck x
  • Options
    CDs don't tend to make much, imo. my mum's sold a few for about £2 and from experience that's a bit for ebay.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Or, as you are on LJ too, what about the thriftstoreuk community? Could check it out :)
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote:
    i did not bother with PayPal in the end. As you said, it is too much bloody hassle. Validate this, validate that grrr :banghead:

Yeah, but once its done, its all over and its great ...
  • Options
    Ebay is quite good. If you can find the right product to sell and have lots of time to package everything right and post.

I made over £2k on ebay in a month. Don't do it anymore though.
  • Options
    Sidtec wrote:
    Ebay is quite good. If you can find the right product to sell and have lots of time to package everything right and post.

I made over £2k on ebay in a month. Don't do it anymore though.

Tell me your secret :p lol
  • Options
    Tell me your secret :p lol
    he will do if you buy his book :P
  • Options
    Im thinking of selling some of my junk on eBay to raise some cash, as my next pay packet covers the cost of fixing me bike (£300), and then what mum owes me can get me a new helmet (£150), and then I've got £500 stashed for the new bike, but I'm going to be a bit stuck until may for money. And then Ive got my exams on anyway so I might be giving in my notice.

Whats sellable and whats not? Ive got an original xbox I could sell if its worth the hassle. Got a couple of games for it. My friend made an absolute mint by selling copied CDs - several hundred pounds - but even if I could get away with it (and apparently its stupidly easy to) I wouldnt feel comfortable doing it :/. So. Old games? Books? DVDs? What sells well and what sells stupidly under its value?
    why not get yourself sme indian gold sent over, its cheap as chips and u can sell it for a small fortune!
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    he will do if you buy his book :P

I'll tell you now because they don't go for that much anymore.

...Designer taps (bathroom and kitchen, etc.) imported from China. Steep learning curve but well worth it while it lasted.

People used to pay £80-£200 for some designs that can be bought over there for about £30.