Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

asking for money back without being cheeky

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One of my friends owes my mum a fiver for her ticket to my dance show at easter. I've been asking for the money off all my friends for well over 2 months, all but 1 got me the money on time to buy the tickets (£5.75 each). One still hasn't paid (thats why my mum ended up paying as she used her card to make it easier). It's been about 7 or 8 weeks since the tickets were bought....she gets £50 a month pocket money so i asked her the other day if she could pay it back soon because she show is just over 2 weeks away. She said 'i hope so' then this weekend went on a massive shopping spree and spent the money. This probably sounds pathetic but i'm a bit annoyed...its only a fiver and theres been loads of time to pay for it....how can i ask again without sounding funny?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    just say youre short of cash and it would be good if she could give the money back as soon as possible..

i loaned a friend £90 last term to put a deposit down for our house next year. still have not got money back yet. i feel cheeky asking for it though because it was her birthday yesterday and i know that she (and her family) isnt really very well off.. whereas she knows that i can afford it.

i dont really think there is a way of asking without sounding funny. just ask as nicely as possible i guess!
    Who cares if you sound funny? It's not even your money; so just say that your mum is asking you when you can get it? Even say she's on your back about if, if that'll help (whether it's true or not).

She's in the wrong in this situation and being a cheeky fucker herself if she's off shopping with money she owes someone's parent, so I wouldn't worry too much about appearing "cheeky" yourself. ;)
    i know, its not really fair on the others who have paid either....2 of them don't get money at all and 1 has an underpaid saturday job
    Youre worried about YOU sounding funny?
    She should be the one worried, the cheeky bint. Just say, nice new clothes you bought with my mums money - by the way she wants it back immediately.
    I keep asking my sister to pay me back £12 she lent me, but she says since mum lent some money off her that it isnt her responsibility anymore, its my mums. So those two argue. And then I end up with no cash, and my mum ends up in a bad mood. People who dont pay people back get on my nerves :yes:
    Don't worry about sounding funny.

Demand it back.
    i only lend money to people i know will give it back now, had bad experiences, but i'd never feel funny about asking for it back. she's taking you for a ride. knock her off it
    what kind of an answer is 'I hope so' anyway?
    katralla wrote:
    what kind of an answer is 'I hope so' anyway?
    thats what i thought.....its not difficult to pay back a fiver
    well at the end of the day, if she dont pay she dont go. thats my opinion and at least you know for the future to never lend her any money!
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    icey wrote:
    well at the end of the day, if she dont pay she dont go. thats my opinion and at least you know for the future to never lend her any money!
    Exactly.
    And the moral of this story? Never lend friends money. In my experience, it always leads to bad blood.....
    And the moral of this story? Never lend friends money. In my experience, it always leads to bad blood.....

For me it depends though. If it's only small amounts like 10p then I'm not too worried if they don't pay it back. However, if it's £5 or something, then I do expect it back...
    Tell her she can't go if she doesn't pay you back, that should sort her!
    I keep asking my sister to pay me back £12 she lent me, but she says since mum lent some money off her that it isnt her responsibility anymore, its my mums. So those two argue. And then I end up with no cash, and my mum ends up in a bad mood. People who dont pay people back get on my nerves :yes:

I hate sisters who borrow money! My older sister owes me £20 and hundreds to my mum. She gets paid..then goes out and spends it. Obviously I'd rather she paid my mum back (she does every so often but my mum foolishly gives her her card to get cash out so can't keep up). Anyway at this rate I'll never get my £20 and no doubt will end up paying for more stuff. Grrr!

My mate brings fags back from Spain when he comes to visit and obv. the lads pay him back and buy him a few beers to say thanks. 3 lads (always get stuff from him) owe him money. It's been nearly a year and a half. He emails them and reminds them/says he's coming home could do with the cash etc etc and they turn round and say they can't afford it and give some excuse.

Not sure if this is any good to you, but this time when he's coming back he's gonna charge interest. HIGH interest. Ya know, a whack on top for wasting his time + XX a day. Failing that, the guy who owes the most (Mr.X) spends all his money on his car/petrol etc. He has a regular job and hasn't even paid my mate off bit by bit. If he doesn't pay up my friend has contemplated damaging Mr.X's car to the value he is owed and calling it quits.

Anyway, charge the friend over the top for the ticket or sell it to another mate :)
    The one thing that bothered me recently though, was my mates ordered a taxi and I couldnt afford it, but they bustled me in the back and took me home which I didnt mind (mum was on standby to pick me up anyway) and the day after one of them asked for £2 just so it was fair. I didnt mind paying, just, at the time it was advertised as a free ride.

But thats a whole different thread really. I just talk too much sometimes :)
    Asking for it back is not cheeky.

People who borrow without paying back are the cheeky ones
    it's YOUR (or your mums) money, not hers. therefore you're not being cheeky in asking for it back. tell her you'll start charging interest. :hyper:
    it's YOUR (or your mums) money, not hers. therefore you're not being cheeky in asking for it back. tell her you'll start charging interest. :hyper:

As mcuh as I hate charging interest, I agree. And Ballerina, if I was you I wouldn't lend money to this person again. Fortunately, I've never done stuff like this. For example, if I owe my parents money, they'd let me pay it back when I had the money. Saying that, when I wanted something last year, mum decided (it was an agreement) that I wouldn't get pocket money until I paid her back, which I thought was fair enough.
    Demand your fiver back. And when you get it, make sure you never loan money to anyone again. Frankly, no one can be trusted with loaned money. I won't loan money to anyone now.
    stargalaxy wrote:
    Frankly, no one can be trusted with loaned money. I won't loan money to anyone now.

Really? Have you had bad experiences, then?

I've subbed mates on various occasions in the past, and they've done the same for me. If you can't help your mates out in a pinch then what's the point? It's the minority who don't make good in terms of paying it back, at least in my experience.

To be honest, if it was me, then I'd let a £5 ticket slide...but that's the way I am and I know a lot of people aren't. Also, if it was my mam's money I reckon she'd be on my back debt-collector style. :p
    briggi wrote:
    Really? Have you had bad experiences, then?

I've subbed mates on various occasions in the past, and they've done the same for me. If you can't help your mates out in a pinch then what's the point? It's the minority who don't make good in terms of paying it back, at least in my experience.
    Repeated bad experiences, yes. At secondary school, I "loaned" money to a bully who had some very interesting persuasion tactics. Naturally, I've never seen a penny of that back. As for "friends" I knew at school, (none of whom I'm in touch with now, I point out) they were a joke, quite frankly. I'm not loaning money now full stop.
    Does she already have the ticket? If not, maybe you could not give it to her till you get the money.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    briggi wrote:

Aye, its what mates are for. My best mate owes me bout £100 - He'll pay it when he can, I know that. If you cant lend money to a mate who can you lend it to.